With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC

Your thought on the ACC after one season

• Like it

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
For me it doesn't matter in the end. For football survival we had to go. This week sucks though...I would be heading to NY City on Friday after work if SU was still playing. The Blarney and the Garden in March, was there anything better ?

You are aware that the majority of the Duke students in those stands are from NY, NJ and PA and not "The South"?

I have no evidence to support your claim. Even so, if that majority exists, that's not the ones I think are racists. It's the selfish brats of southern white privilege. If it were not for military spending the south would still be poor as dirt. All my father-in-law friends still use the N word without a second thought. I'm telling you, it's a different world.

This week, more than any other, we can rue the loss of the BET at MSG, and wish for the old days. The tourney this week will not compare to our memories. But the old Big East has crashed on the rocks, and without the ACC right now we would be lost at sea with UConn and Cincinnati.

I like it. I get to see more games. That and not having to hear "Big Least" from my ACC peoples down here.

Duke, UVA, UNC and Wake Forest as "rednecks"? Interesting concept.

If any school has a "redneck" (lower socionomic class) student body and fan base, it's Louisville and not even Georgia Tech.

You're the one who subjectively defined it as "lower socioeconomic class," not me. I was referring to those still overtly fighting the Civil War, and viewing Syracuse as the northern aggressors invading their conference.

No argument on Ville / GT.

It's bad for me because it's a lot harder for me to see any games. I used to go to St.Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgirls, and Villanova games. This year I haven't gone to any games.

Also, playing at Cameron really stinks. It's a festival of bad sportsmanship. I just don't like it that our players are within spitting distance of the students. I don't like having a black referee make a crucial call to decide the game in front of 6000 "crazy" white people from North Carolina! If he didn't call a charge they would have hung him from the rafters with the retired jerseys. And don't tell me there's no racism in North Carolina. My father-in-law lives there and it's a different world. I really don't like Duke fans and Cameron.

Other than that, Duke at the Dome was awesome! In the long term I think it really helps the Syracuse basketball brand and recruiting.

Holy consipracy theory Batman. And a bunch of other things...:crazy:

I have no evidence to support your claim. Even so, if that majority exists, that's not the ones I think are racists. It's the selfish brats of southern white privilege. If it were not for military spending the south would still be poor as dirt. All my father-in-law friends still use the N word without a second thought. I'm telling you, it's a different world.

The evidence is easy to get and it's clear. A majority of Duke students are not from the South and are from states like NY, NJ,CT, MA and Northern VA.

Your facts are about 60 years out of date. The Southern economic base has moved way beyond a few military bases. (Pharmaceuticals, Textiles, Manufacturing and Agriculture). This is as opposed the NY State, where the economic base has just about dried up.

It's OK to go around with a bunch of biases, but don't try and share them with people that know better.

Also, have you checked out the economic plight of the majority of Blacks in the North?

He needs new friends.

I spend a lot of time in NC, and the most racist stuff I hear in this day and age are trips back to the ole hood in Queens.

Bottom Feeders are bottom feeders and top echelon is top echelon, regardless of league affiliation. The Big East had a fierce and rising middle class. The ACC has no middle class just an occasional upstart that has its year in the sun but nothing sustainable, no upward mobility.

Bottom Feeders are new and unwelcome development in the ACC. Until about 8 years ago, just about every team in the ACC was in the top 100. But then things started to deteriorate to point where Wake and BC were both in the bottom 100 two years ago, and a bunch of the other teams weren't much better. That trend seems to have been reversed, at least somewhat - VT holds the bottom ACC spot at 171 in the current Sagarin ratings..

You're the one who subjectively defined it as "lower socioeconomic class," not me. I was referring to those still overtly fighting the Civil War, and viewing Syracuse as the northern aggressors invading their conference.

No argument on Ville / GT.

RF, how much of this is real and how much of this is in your imagination? Or impressions you got from watching TV and "Mississippi Burning"?

I'm sure you could pick a fight with someone about the Civil War if you tried hard enough. But its no more on the minds of the great majority of Southerners than it is on yours.

The whole country is becoming homogenized. We watch the same TV, shop at the same stores at the same malls and read the same thing in the newspapers. Regional differences are disappearing.

I spent some time recently in Jackson, MS recently. I was disappointed it wasn't more different from suburban Northern Virginia.

The BE had degenerated into NBA Lite, and was morphing to Thugball at light speed. It was fun while it lasted, but had long since passed its "best before" date. It was time to move on.
I think that timeline is reversed. The '80s in the BE was as thug ball as it would ever get in college hoops. Punches to the face, players hit with chairs, etc. The BE in the mid 2000's to last year was as good as college hoops has ever been IMO.

I I don't like having a black referee make a crucial call to decide the game in front of 6000 "crazy" white people from North Carolina! If he didn't call a charge they would have hung him from the rafters with the retired jerseys.

What
confuseddave.gif

The evidence is easy to get and it's clear. A majority of Duke students are not from the South and are from states like NY, NJ,CT, MA and Northern VA.

Top five last two years:

NC
CA
NY
NJ
FL

He needs new friends.

I spend a lot of time in NC, and the most racist stuff I hear in this day and age are trips back to the ole hood in Queens.

Exactly.

Of course, fortunately the oppressed minorities can escape the horrors of NC to get to the idyllic cities of Trenton, NJ or Newark or Camden or Philadelphia where life is good and no one ever uses the "N-word" except the residents (who use it in every other sentence)

From the moment we accepted our invitation I have loved the ACC.

He needs new friends.

LOL!

Your facts are about 60 years out of date.
It's OK to go around with a bunch of biases, but don't try and share them with people that know better.

Your so funny. Hey, let's just pretend. Got it. My experiences never happened. I've seen it with my own eyes but you are telling my what I saw was 60 years out of date. Got it.

The quality of basketball is still pretty high. I like that.

RF, how much of this is real and how much of this is in your imagination? Or impressions you got from watching TV and "Mississippi Burning"?

I'm sure you could pick a fight with someone about the Civil War if you tried hard enough. But its no more on the minds of the great majority of Southerners than it is on yours.

The whole country is becoming homogenized. We watch the same TV, shop at the same stores at the same malls and read the same thing in the newspapers. Regional differences are disappearing.

I spent some time recently in Jackson, MS recently. I was disappointed it wasn't more different from suburban Northern Virginia.

Get off or your soapbox, Townie. You've taken one word from my earlier post and are using that to argue a position that you've inferred, but which I didn't imply.

Also, did I imagine all of the negativity directed our way by angry fans of the established ACC programs when we were undefeated and ranked #1? Did I imagine all of the articles desperately craving that one of the old guard teams knock us off? Did I imagine all of the journalists claiming that they would willingly set aside old hatreds / rivalries just to see one of the southern schools end or reign of terror over their beloved league? Did I imagine the jubilation that arose when we lost at Duke, inspiring one insipid journalist to gleefully proclaim the site of the ACC tournament "Greenesboro" [mis-spelling intentional], in "honor" of the referee who whistled the controversial call that cost us the game at Duke?

But thanks for the sociology lesson.

Last edited:

Sadly the entire country is becoming one giant strip mall with all the same chains.

Sadly the entire country is becoming one giant strip mall with all the same chains.

It feels like the dystopia described in the move THX-1138: "For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized."

Get off or your soapbox, Townie. You've taken one word from my earlier post and are using that to argue a position that you've inferred, but which I didn't imply.

Also, did I imagine all of the negativity directed our way by angry fans of the established ACC programs when we were undefeated and ranked #1? Did I imagine all of the articles desperately craving that one of the old guard teams knock us off? Did I imagine all of the journalists claiming that they would willingly set aside old hatreds / rivalries just to see one of the southern schools knock us off? Did I imagine the jubilation that arose when we lost at Duke, inspiring one insipid journalist to gleefully proclaim the site of the ACC tournament "Greenesboro" [mis-spelling intentional], in "honor" of the referee who whistled the controversial call that cost us the game at Duke?

But thanks for the sociology lesson.

I put next to nothing into what columnists say. I don't think we want to be judged buy what Bud writes - wiz bang!

Going there this week, curious as to the response. The biggest I've encountered have been in Connecticut and at GTown. The NCState fans at that game could not have been more bland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom