Women’s F4/Caitlin Clark | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Women’s F4/Caitlin Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, man. She was 100% disrespecting her. Waving off another player doesn’t mean, “Go ahead and take the shot.” It means, “You suck and I’m not going to bother.”

Come on- you haven't done that in a pickup game? It's asking her to shoot it because if she does she is either proving she can make it or helping me out .

Almost forgot one of our former recruits rides the bench for LSU, don't see her minutes improving much next season either. Bartlett was ranked #51 and will ride the bench for 4 yrs if she stays.

It's hilarious to hear Reese moan about disrespect cuz of that goofy little gesture by Clark, in a game that didn't even involve LSU. After the game Clark was all class and gave LSU plenty of credit. How some can equate the two actions is baffling to me and that clearly was what Etan was implying.

Reese was disrespecting her opponents all year long. The support for her in this thread is hilarious. She is a yapper. This is like Devo crying foul for someone else talking. It's weak and pathetic.

How about someone remind her how much trash and taunting she threw at the Iowa center. Or how many times she was borderline hooking her to get an offensive rebound . For her sake I hope she learns and grows up.

Last edited:
I agree with both of you.

Clark’s was either ignored or presented as awesome.

But Reese went further and doing it after the buzzer sounds is different than during the game.
Is that what people are upset about, though? It seems like there would still be an uproar if her only taunt was at the foul line.

She definitely took it further. And I get what you’re saying about after the game, when they should just be shaking hands and going on with their lives.

Come on- you haven't done that in a pickup game? It's asking her to shoot it because if she does she is either proving she can make it or helping me out .
There’s a way to gesture, “go ahead,” and that’s what I’ve seen in pickup games.

I don’t actually care that she did it. I just think there’s a double standard here.

There’s a way to gesture, “go ahead,” and that’s what I’ve seen in pickup games.

I don’t actually care that she did it. I just think there’s a double standard here.

If it was the one time I'm right there with you. Reese was at it all game though then follows her post game then goes on to talk about being disrespected in a post game interview then doubles down on social media. My issue was seeing her go at it all game with others. I saw Clark pull that move against SC which I still think is pretty harmless and then the face thing they showed of her vs Louisville. Reese is out there all game long at it. I don't at all see it as a double standard- I see it as Reese takes it way too far then goes and plays victim or gets excessive.

If it was the one time I'm right there with you. Reese was at it all game though then follows her post game then goes on to talk about being disrespected in a post game interview then doubles down on social media. My issue was seeing her go at it all game with others. I saw Clark pull that move against SC which I still think is pretty harmless and then the face thing they showed of her vs Louisville. Reese is out there all game long at it. I don't at all see it as a double standard- I see it as Reese takes it way too far then goes and plays victim or gets excessive.
You’re talking about Reese doing it all game. Clark’s been at it the whole tournament. Not only was Clark not criticized for it, she was praised.

The media/fan reaction is not Clark’s fault, so in that sense she was unfairly targeted by Reese. I get why Reese wanted to do something, though, and that was one way to make her point.

You’re talking about Reese doing it all game. Clark’s been at it the whole tournament. Not only was Clark not criticized for it, she was praised.

The media/fan reaction is not Clark’s fault, so in that sense she was unfairly targeted by Reese. I get why Reese wanted to do something, though, and that was one way to make her point.

Reese has all season as well. What it comes down to is self awareness and mutual respect. Clark walked off the court and moved on. Game is over. Reese pursued it and went way over the top. It's playing victim instead of tipping your cap and moving on. That's the thing. It's over when the whistle blows. They both spent all season playing with swagger.

Given the handshake incidents preceding its just stupid. Being that aggressive and following her easily could have sparked a fight... and given how animated and aggressive Mulkey is- I would hardly be surprised if her girls would be obliged to get into a scuffle, even after winning a title.

Reese has all season as well. What it comes down to is self awareness and mutual respect. Clark walked off the court and moved on. Game is over. Reese pursued it and went way over the top. It's playing victim instead of tipping your cap and moving on. That's the thing. It's over when the whistle blows. They both spent all season playing with swagger.

Given the handshake incidents preceding its just stupid. Being that aggressive and following her easily could have sparked a fight... and given how animated and aggressive Mulkey is- I would hardly be surprised if her girls would be obliged to get into a scuffle, even after winning a title.
If your issue is with when she did it and that she wouldn’t just let it go, I get that. You’re fine with everything that happened during the game then?

If your issue is with when she did it and that she wouldn’t just let it go, I get that. You’re fine with everything that happened during the game then?

Reese goes over the top with it. She's played this role of being some kind of victim all year- even claims in this article. Look at Clark's response and then Reese's response. I have not a single issue with who somehow is as a player as a representative of their roots and where they grew up. This is not that- this is someone making up reasons to act out. If you want to play a villain that's awesome- play a villain. Just don't walk this false narrative as you are a victim and being attacked as your reasons. That's just total BS. So I don't care for it in general and Reese took it too far and is still running with it. It's already created a race issue on Twitter now which is 1000 pct wrong.

I don't mind some trash talk- it makes the game fun. This went too far. Not only that, but if it's the one time and over great- but no, like her coach she is going on the offensive and is out of line. So it was classless the first time- we all could say so and it's over.. then she did all this.

The discussion on this thread has definitely shifted to Reese and her actions. I'm bringing it back to Clark. She was phenomenal all season and throughout the tournament. Hands down the best player in the country and gets a lot of attention, which some players may not like. Both my daughters play for the same AAU organization that Clark played for (All Iowa Attack). We see her occasionally at the facility and some of the tournaments. She seems to always make time to take pictures with the younger players (and there are a lot of requests). She has also been to a couple of my older daughter's high school games. Takes time after those games to take pictures as well. Despite all the media attention, popularity, and massive swagger on the court, she seems to be a very genuine, humble and down to earth young lady.

Reese goes over the top with it. She's played this role of being some kind of victim all year- even claims in this article. Look at Clark's response and then Reese's response. I have not a single issue with who somehow is as a player as a representative of their roots and where they grew up. This is not that- this is someone making up reasons to act out. If you want to play a villain that's awesome- play a villain. Just don't walk this false narrative as you are a victim and being attacked as your reasons. That's just total BS. So I don't care for it in general and Reese took it too far and is still running with it. It's already created a race issue on Twitter now which is 1000 pct wrong.

I don't mind some trash talk- it makes the game fun. This went too far. Not only that, but if it's the one time and over great- but no, like her coach she is going on the offensive and is out of line. So it was classless the first time- we all could say so and it's over.. then she did all this.
So you would still criticize her if she only taunted Clark at the foul line. Clear double standard. No need to talk about the rest, because this gets to the heart of the matter.

So you would still criticize her if she only taunted Clark at the foul line. Clear double standard. No need to talk about the rest, because this gets to the heart of the matter.

No it does not. You are choosing to take what you want from it and manipulate the conversation into trying to make me out to be the bad guy. Like usual.

I don't care for any of it these days. The foul line is still end of game. Clark also didn't engage Reese directly so Reese is doing it on her own accord.. like she initiated all game. That said- the reaction in the moment bothered me at that point. Had she let lived and moved on - no one is longer bothered by that moment. Point is she didn't. You are hung up on this being a double standard and yet you are severely stretching that being the case. Try staying within the topic and not overlaying your narrative. We know that is difficult.

Clark is a confident player who talks and has swagger. She also keeps it in the game as that's as far as it needs to go. It's funny you make no mention of how collected she was after losing the game and being chased after for Reese to have a moment. In the heat of the moment many players would snap back and have fair reason to do so.

Last edited:
The discussion on this thread has definitely shifted to Reese and her actions. I'm bringing it back to Clark. She was phenomenal all season and throughout the tournament. Hands down the best player in the country and gets a lot of attention, which some players may not like. Both my daughters play for the same AAU organization that Clark played for (All Iowa Attack). We see her occasionally at the facility and some of the tournaments. She seems to always make time to take pictures with the younger players (and there are a lot of requests). She has also been to a couple of my older daughter's high school games. Takes time after those games to take pictures as well. Despite all the media attention, popularity, and massive swagger on the court, she seems to be a very genuine, humble and down to earth young lady.
Good to know. Regardless of what you think about the Cena you can't see me thing, I've read very similar things about how she conducts herself off the court. She really seems to be the total "NIL package" any company would want as far as on and off the court.

Clear double standard. LOL. Ok, show us a video where Clark followed another player around for 10 seconds.

Yeah can you imagine Melo or Gerry going over and doing this to Hinrich, Collison or Langford?

Well - we have proof of Cuse players actually doing the exact opposite.

UVA Elite 8 game vs UVA -
London Perrantes with the “sniff my finger” thing, and their annoying AF bench scrub shrugging ,
both while they were up big.

Then we won, and Silent G went over and consoled a weeping Perrantes on the bench.

THAT is how you do it.

Well - we have proof of Cuse players actually doing the exact opposite.

UVA Elite 8 game vs UVA -
London Perrantes with the “sniff my finger” thing, and their annoying AF bench scrub shrugging ,
both while they were up big.

Then we won, and Silent G went over and consoled a weeping Perrantes on the bench.

THAT is how you do it.

Bingo

I am an older dude and really think most trash talking and demonstrative behavior is stupid. I understand it is 'part of the game', but to me, it is not the game. I never did it personally, even during pickup games.

So, last night in the LSU / Iowa game the LSU player Angel Reece (known for her trash talking) taunted Caitlin Clark, after the game was decided. She followed her around for about 5 seconds doing the John Cena 'You cannot see me' and pointing to her ring finger.

When asked about it, she said Caitlin had 'disrespected' ... not her, Angel Reece..., but I guess a teammate 'Alexis', and a South Carolina player 'Anita'.

Social Media educated me that Caitlin has done the same thing to other players. There is footage of her doing it against Louisville in the Elite 8. She literally did it for a split second after a shot. Then, in a SC game, she waved off a SC player / wouldn't defend her. Dumb as well, IMO, but less excessive.

Watching on ESPN about it just now and was told to check our bigotry and bias.

I think it is dumb, both players, and also thought Angel Reece's 'retaliation' for Caitlin's disrespect was excessive. Literally following her around? Guess I am just old.

As to bias, probably true. However, if this happened in a men's game, if for example, Jordan did the 'you can't see me' to Charles Oakley for like 5 seconds following him around the court, you know they would be throwing punches by the 1.5th second. Which is why it doesn't happen like that in men's games. Trash talking happens for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.