Wonder how we will run the offense | Syracusefan.com

Wonder how we will run the offense

upperdeck

Living Legend
Not just about will we run or throw or go 2 back. or 5 wide or 4 TE

But will we use motion and pre-snap movement .

We barely used any of that under Babers.

We have speed guys to fake jet sweeps too
We have a QB with experience
We have a Coord who has worked with NFL teams
We have weapons

Lets confused the D more often

Listening to Meathead Radio they talked about how hard it was on D to figure out pre-snap stuff when the offense is changing all the time

and by the way EJ picked SU as his dark horse ACC winner because he thinks McCord will have a big year

We have weapons

Listening to Meathead Radio they talked about how hard it was on D to figure out pre-snap stuff when the offense is changing all the time

and by the way EJ picked SU as his dark horse ACC winner because he thinks McCord will have a big year
I think the playbook will develop over time. We all want an all-inclusive, diverse, tricky, and unique offense.
But the reality is it's difficult to master that in such a short time, with new coaches, and alot of new players. It's important to do things well early on as opposed to doing alot of things just ok.

I think the playbook will develop over time. We all want an all-inclusive, diverse, tricky, and unique offense.
But the reality is it's difficult to master that in such a short time, with new coaches, and alot of new players. It's important to do things well early on as opposed to doing alot of things just ok.
Multiple. It will be multiple.

We have weapons

I wouldn’t expect to get a lot of insights from the game against Ohio. I suspect we would like to run the ball 60 times up the middle, if we can get away with it.

It should be a very vanilla game plan.

But things should change for the GT game and beyond. Found this artivle, which talks about how the 2019 Baylor offense developed during the season. It has a few clips.

If Jeff does the same type of stuff, we can expect some explosive plays.

We have weapons

Pre snap motion is GT

Pre snap motion is GT
Yep. I agree with this (and Go’s and Tom’s prediction). Base 11. Lots of runs, mix it up with an occasional screen or pass to the TE or slot, maybe deep to Hatch or Zeed when the safeties come up. Run clock, give the younger guys a few snaps, wear them down and show almost nothing offensively. See what we’ve got on the interior DL and at corner. Hopefully notch the W with no injuries.

Last edited:
Perfect scenario would be to start out as basic as we can and leave some mystery in the tank to break out against GT. Win those two and you are in a great spot moving forward.

I believe Fran would say, if we win, he was not wasted.
Johnny Depp Whatever GIF

You don't care about winning?
Not really. Can't rely on it. And when we have won a lot of the wins have been boring or kind of ridiculous like Pitt last season. Which is a little fun, but signaled issues I hoped our program was beyond.

I want fun.

I think if you go on YouTube and watch some 2018 and 2019 Baylor games you'll probably find some similarities. There are a few plays where they run a diamond formation in the backfield with 3 RBs. It's what dreams are made of.

I think a lot of folks need to get past the mid level underdog mentality. I don't expect 99% of in game play calling to take future games into consideration. We now have big time coaches and some big time talent. I expect us to call what we want and force other teams to prove they can stop it regardless and we'll run however many plays needed for desired outcome.

How many plays you think Kirby Smart holds back at Georgia?

I just don't want us to waste McCord.
Yes, don’t waste McCord, or Allen, Gadsden, and Pena. Or the big OTs who should dominate smaller DLs. Basic meathead plus passing. We have weapons. 2 days and we can see how it comes together.

I don't know that showing motion sets tells them much. We don't be running all the plays from the sets anyway.

But we sure need to practice it and the play calling using the new tech in a game situation.

Now if they have some special formation, they want to use that's a different thing.

Not really. Can't rely on it. And when we have won a lot of the wins have been boring or kind of ridiculous like Pitt last season. Which is a little fun, but signaled issues I hoped our program was beyond.

I want fun.
Weird logic. You can't really "rely" on anything. We know losing while throwing the ball a lot isn't fun either. We saw that in the early Dino years. I don't care if we win games like 1995 Nebraska or 1984 BYU. I suspect we'll have games we run over people and some we throw it around. I think both are fun. And with both methods players won't be wasted.

I don't get why some people don't think watching a good running game is fun. There's so many moving pieces. I think a long run is more exciting than a long pass because it typically requires a guy breaking at least one tackle and making 1 or more guys miss along with other guys making great blocks. Is it that people just like numbers?

We will run just enough offense to get it on tape for GT so that we can do certain things to deceive them, make them see something they aren’t etc

Nixon is on record as saying that he will take what the D gives. I believe that Fran and Nixon want to have a team that can win running the ball as again they are on record stating that. I believe that we are going to see a very balanced attack. I don't expect lots of motion. I do expect us to let Kyle take advantage of miss matches and basically pick at the time he gets to the line which option he wants. Kyle as much as Nixon is going to be calling the plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom