World Cup Thread | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

Orangezoo

In the wind
So was about to tune in as I'm home for a couple hours working on a propos and Fox is unavailable.. lol.

My predictions
Group A
Uruguay
Russia
Group B
Portugal
Spain
Group C
France
Denmark
Group D
Argentina
Iceland
Group E
Brazil
Switzerland
Group (_F_)
Germany
Sweden
Group G
Belgium
England
Group H
Columbia
Poland

Semis: France vs. Brazil, Germany over Argentina
My Final Germany vs. Brazil.
Champ: Brazil

Last edited:
Lalas has Mexico going to the semis...
Lalas is a CONCACAF homer.
Our federation did well last WC because of location but this one is in Europe.
I like Sweden over Mexico because I think the Swedens first match will net them 3 points and Mexico has Germany.
If Mexico can get a result then maybe they advance but I think Sweden will play for a draw against Mexico and squeak thru.
I don’t expect CONCACAF to do well this WC.

Heart breaking for Egypt. Played really well without Mo today.

Disgusting own goal by Morocco.
Man that sucked. Iran plays some of the most boring soccer ever and steals 3 points.

Pretty exciting start to the Cup after the Russia thrashing of Saudi Arabia yesterday.

When Costa engaged he is a top 5 player. Chelsea fans on here must hate how he departed.

Was in the fan zone in Kaliningrad for that Spain v. Portugal game. Absolutely bonkers!

One of the most fun games I've watched in a while.

Felt terrible for Egypt this morning. Thankfully missed Morocco/Iran to catch Incredibles 2 with my son. And now we get blessed with this SPN/POR game. What a great game!

Not a bad day off!

Yeah really awful for Egypt. I felt they deserved a point the way they played. Suarez had a couple bad misses but the Egyptian keeper was right there on all of them.

Ronaldo’s #3 - The Golazzo against which all others will be measured.

France looked worse this morning than they did vs the U.S. Just very little team play other than some nice runs by Mbappe. Quality wise that was one of the worst matches so far. Was about right up there with Iran Morocco.

France looked worse this morning than they did vs the U.S. Just very little team play other than some nice runs by Mbappe. Quality wise that was one of the worst matches so far. Was about right up there with Iran Morocco.

Both of France's goals were suspect...I thought the defender had a touch of the ball on that penalty and the second goal was deflection luck.

Argentina-Iceland shaping up nicely. Beautiful goal by Aguero. Iceland got a bit lucky on their goal, but Caballero and the defense are suspect. Wouldn’t be surprised Iceland gets another, and their D is formidable.

And Nacho’s was gorgeous - may wind up as the goal of the tourney.

Argentina-Iceland shaping up nicely. Beautiful goal by Aguero. Iceland got a bit lucky on their goal, but Caballero and the defense are suspect. Wouldn’t be surprised Iceland gets another, and their D is formidable.

And Nacho’s was gorgeous - may wind up as the goal of the tourney.
Can’t believe how vulnerable Argentina is on their back 4.

Can’t believe how vulnerable Argentina is on their back 4.
Yeah right now France and Argentina both look like they won't be bringing home the cup this year.

We've all fallen in love with Iceland over the last few years, but I still can't believe they are where they are today. To me, it feels like every game they play it's an 'okay, this is when they finally run out of luck' type of contest. Then they frustrate the heck out of the world's best player, have three or four excellent saves, and some how pull out a result while getting dominated in nearly every aspect of the game.

It's unbelievable!

Also - I have a feeling that VAR's "Your backhand hand on a sliding block is part of the body" unofficial rule for this WC is going to have a replacement referees' "Don't call offensive pass intereference on a Hail Mary"-type of impact on an important game.

Last edited:
France needs to start Giroud. They lack a true playmaking midfielder and Giroud can link up with the speedy forwards to get them the ball where they can do something with it. He made Pogba’s goal.

Any recommendations for a recent cord cutter? I’ll drink and eat waaaaay too much if I keep on having to go out to watch. Plus, day drinking. Suspiciously has a way of turning into dinner beers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom