Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948 | Syracusefan.com

Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
So I started this research, but just barely, and shared it with Brent Axe on one of his recent podcasts. And he then took it to the next level and blew my mind. This is the worst 4 game stretch of losses Syracuse football has seen since the 1940s.

Here's a link to the podcast (don't mind the numbers I quoted in the voice mail, or my sleepy voice...it was halftime of the VT debacle. The numbers were valid then, and the team had put me to sleep).

So I started this research, but just barely, and shared it with Brent Axe on one of his recent podcasts. And he then took it to the next level and blew my mind. This is the worst 4 game stretch of losses Syracuse football has seen since the 1940s.

Here's a link to the podcast (don't mind the numbers I quoted in the voice mail, or my sleepy voice...it was halftime of the VT debacle. The numbers were valid then, and the team had put me to sleep).

Putting in the link with preview:

Between the podcasts and press conference questions seems like Axe is gunning for Dino.
Let's stop this narrative before it starts. No one is "gunning" for Dino.

His angle is based almost entirely on the pulse of the fan base (as it always has been). And I don't believe he, nor anyone else, is "gunning" for Dino.

To that end, I asked this question of the fan base a couple days ago. 20 responses. Notice the commonality. And I would imagine nearly every one of those who said Yes a) like Dino as a person and b) badly wanted this to work out

F9os-8vWkAAjkwr.jpg

His angle is based almost entirely on the pulse of the fan base (as it always has been). And I don't believe he, nor anyone else, is "gunning" for Dino.

To that end, I asked this question of the fan base a couple days ago. 20 responses. Notice the commonality. And I would imagine nearly every one of those who said Yes a) like Dino as a person and b) badly wanted this to work out

View attachment 232782
No, Axe is gunning for him.

He has led the charge. It’s what he does and has done for years.

And, it gets old.

Between the podcasts and press conference questions seems like Axe is gunning for Dino.

It's good radio when a HC is under fire. This is entertainment what they do and it's easier to have shows about potential hires, potential fires, than dealing with the very boring notion of a team that is going through the motions to a bowl game...

I don't hold it against Brent really leaning into the coach here. It's what all radio shows do. The pitch forks are out for Belichick and he only won 6 superbowls because he's had 1 down season in 20 odd years.

What’s even funnier is when he ends up with a couple more wins by the end of the season and is still coaching next year. Or is given an extension on top of that.

I’m done watching next year if he’s the coach. Not going to follow a program that’s not going to try. I know our place in CFB, I know we aren’t going to compete to get into the playoffs. But not willing to keep following a program that doesn’t have some goals that are at least above sub-standard. Give me mediocre at least.

View attachment 232782
Ohh the horror, The guy is doing his job, bunch of Nancy‘s, wouldn’t last a second in New York City as their sensibilities would be so insulted and assaulted with the radio guys down there

Last edited:
Ohh the horror, The guy is doing his job, bunch of Nancy‘s, wouldn’t last the second in New York City as their sensibilities would be so insulted and assaulted with the radio guys down there
yeah I mean what is a guy like Axe suppose to do after 4 straight weeks of garbage? He has a job to do, podcasts to put out etc. There really is no spinning it at this point. A couple wins would help.

I don't even like Axe but I get where he is coming from. The job is the job for both him and Dino, goes with the territory

Fun time to be a Syracuse and Patriots fan
Funny you say. Rarely do both teams line up with great seasons at the same time. In my brief fandom:

2018-Pats superbowl, Dino ball!
2001-Pats superbowl, P went into the Delorian and turned back the clock to 10 wins
1996-Pats 11 win season, Cuse destroyed Clemson in Gator Bowl
1997-Pats superbowl, Cuse gets to the BCS game

Before that it's slim cooking! Maybe 1994 but Cuse was shut out of a bowl and Pats finally got back to the playoffs with Parcells

Define "gunning for". I'd think that would be the description of a media guy who is unfairly criticizing the coach, inventing reasons to be unsatisfied and trying to get the fan base to turn on that coach. In this case, Axe has the pulse of the fan base as is levelling fair criticisms at Dino.

What’s even funnier is when he ends up with a couple more wins by the end of the season and is still coaching next year. Or is given an extension on top of that.

I’m done watching next year if he’s the coach. Not going to follow a program that’s not going to try. I know our place in CFB, I know we aren’t going to compete to get into the playoffs. But not willing to keep following a program that doesn’t have some goals that are at least above sub-standard. Give me mediocre at least.
And you’ll still have the fans in August telling us how improved everything is, how this year will be different, and how Dino is actually awful it’s all in our heads. Just like every other year. I’ll watch if he stays, but I will be calling for his job before every game and after every game. He would have to put on a masterclass of a season for me to change my stance.

yeah I mean what is a guy like Axe suppose to do after 4 straight weeks of garbage? He has a job to do, podcasts to put out etc. There really is no spinning it at this point. A couple wins would help.

I don't even like Axe but I get where he is coming from. The job is the job for both him and Dino, goes with the territory

Agree. At this particular point, if you want to talk about Syracuse football at all, why wouldn't that be what you talk about?

What else is there? Suppose you could just ignore it altogether and talk hoops.

No, Axe is gunning for him.

He has led the charge. It’s what he does and has done for years.

And, it gets old.

He hasn't led any charge and he's just reflecting what the fans are saying. The entire segment consisted of Axe trying to find a worse four game stretch in SU history - just looking at the facts - and phone messages left by the fans.

Agree. At this particular point, if you want to talk about Syracuse football at all, why wouldn't that be what you talk about?

What else is there? Suppose you could just ignore it altogether and talk hoops.

Yeppers. Dino's job and the ACC schedule are the two big discussions on this board. Casual fans paid very little attention to the ACC schedule, which I realized when I asked my brother if he wanted to take a road trip to the California game next year and he had no idea what I was talking about. My brother is very invested in Dino getting fired though...its really obvious what sports has HAS TO focus on in Syracuse right now.

Aw the poor patriots fan

Cuse
Mets
Giants

I'd say see you in hell, but brother I am already there

I’m ’cuse and Bears. It doesn’t get too much worse than that.

Trying to raise my 8 yr old daughter to care about both teams is becoming an impossible task. She doesn’t even ask if they lost anymore. She loved the whole “Otto” thing and would ask to go to the dome. My nephew is in college, he could care less about the football team. Barely knows they exist, follow the BB team still religiously. People forget how big a deal and how many life long fans were never made for football over the last 20 yrs.

Last edited: