Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948

Worse than even the Grob era???!!!!! The fact that Dino still holds onto his job at this point is incredible.

It truly is. From an objective standpoint, at 0-4; 19-43 (year 8) there really isn't a credible argument that can be made otherwise, IMO.

Furthermore, the perception it projects from outside the SU walls, etc., mainly the P5 powers that be which will ultimately decide SU's future fate when the GOR exhausts, have to 100% believe this as well. Moreover, that Syracuse University's leadership isn't serious (or serious enough) based upon its actions, or lack thereof, about what it takes nowadays to be included at this/highest level of college football.

Last edited:
So I started this research, but just barely, and shared it with Brent Axe on one of his recent podcasts. And he then took it to the next level and blew my mind. This is the worst 4 game stretch of losses Syracuse football has seen since the 1940s.

Here's a link to the podcast (don't mind the numbers I quoted in the voice mail, or my sleepy voice...it was halftime of the VT debacle. The numbers were valid then, and the team had put me to sleep).

Great job with the research idea!

I was wondering if this 4 game stretch was our worst ever. I was just too lazy to do the legwork.

Funny how a guy like Axe who is, for the most part, dismissed by everyone on this board, now has the means to help move a head coach out of town.
Not sure if I'm alone on this, but I've never had a problem with Axe. Back when I lived in Syracuse in the 2000s I always enjoyed listening to his radio show before and after games. With everything these days gravitating towards nationally syndicated stuff, it's really important to maintain local perspectives from people who genuinely care about SU sports. You can tell Axe cares. He's not Mark Johnson just briefly passing through on his way to a larger market.

So I started this research, but just barely, and shared it with Brent Axe on one of his recent podcasts. And he then took it to the next level and blew my mind. This is the worst 4 game stretch of losses Syracuse football has seen since the 1940s.

Here's a link to the podcast (don't mind the numbers I quoted in the voice mail, or my sleepy voice...it was halftime of the VT debacle. The numbers were valid then, and the team had put me to sleep).

CoachBaysingerMustGo.com man those were the days

Ohh the horror, The guy is doing his job, bunch of Nancy‘s, wouldn’t last the second in New York City as their sensibilities would be so insulted and assaulted with the radio guys down there
Seriously. Axe is a kitten compared to NYC, Boston and Philly sports talk radio.

Tune in to the Felger and Mazz show at 2pm today on 98.5 FM in Boston. You'll hear a four-hour assault on the head coach who has been to 13 AFC Championship games and 9 Super Bowls.

Axe is "gunning" for Dino. Adorable.

Funny how a guy like Axe who is, for the most part, dismissed by everyone on this board, now has the means to help move a head coach out of town.
I was talking about Dino with someone (not on the board) yesterday and they told me that Axe was main reason that JB got "let go" this March.

Thankfully it was somebody that I have no problem arguing with so I could laugh in their face.

Not sure if I'm alone on this, but I've never had a problem with Axe. Back when I lived in Syracuse in the 2000s I always enjoyed listening to his radio show before and after games. With everything these days gravitating towards nationally syndicated stuff, it's really important to maintain local perspectives from people who genuinely care about SU sports. You can tell Axe cares. He's not Mark Johnson just briefly passing through on his way to a larger market.

Never had an issue with him either. And I actually appreciate a bit of his being an upstate guy on radio for Cuse.

I used to listen to him a decent amount when I was in school. Barely listen to any sports radio now just because of life.

His humor doesn't always land with me, but I've always thought he was generally fair and not gratuitously mean.

This segment was straight up nothing compared to most sports talk.

I’m not going to listen to his podcast so I’ll just ask you. What was the measuring stick? Record? And if so was any type of SOS taken into account? Don’t know if it would make any difference but was just curious.

The Panthers finally won a game this season...Proving that miracles do happen.;)

I’m not going to listen to his podcast so I’ll just ask you. What was the measuring stick? Record? And if so was any type of SOS taken into account? Don’t know if it would make any difference but was just curious.

He used combined point differentials.

On my side, it was simply the least competitive stretch of 4 losses in a row based on points scored and against. There are clearly much more scientific ways that you could go, but that's as deep as I was able to go. I can tell you anecdotally we've had MUCH harder 4 game stretches based on national rankings of opponents even in semi-recent history

Seriously. Axe is a kitten compared to NYC, Boston and Philly sports talk radio.

Tune in to the Felger and Mazz show at 2pm today on 98.5 FM in Boston. You'll hear a four-hour assault on the head coach who has been to 13 AFC Championship games and 9 Super Bowls.

Axe is "gunning" for Dino. Adorable.
Not to mention Axe was pretty dead on with JB. even if he did make it a little personal at the end.

Its POSSIBLE what Axe is saying has merit. I know, crazy.

No, you aren't. You're only in purgatory. I am in hell:
Guardians (fka Indians)
Browns
SU

GIF by Matthew Henry

It truly is. From an objective standpoint, at 0-4; 19-43 (year 8) there really isn't a credible argument that can me made otherwise, IMO.

Furthermore, the perception it projects from outside the SU walls, etc., mainly the P5 powers that be which will ultimately decide SU's future fate when the GOR exhausts, have to 100% believe this as well. Moreover, that Syracuse University's leadership isn't serious (or serious enough) based upon its actions, or lack thereof, about what it takes nowadays to be included at this/highest level of college football.
Going forward, going 1-10, or anything under 4 wins should be an automatic DQ for any buyout issues.

The 1-10 season was such a gut punch, 2 years after Dino signed that extension in Dec 2018.

Going forward, going 1-10, or anything under 4 wins should be an automatic DQ for any buyout issues.

The 1-10 season was such a gut punch, 2 years after Dino signed that extension in Dec 2018.

The problem is in sustaining success. We went 10-3 in 2018 then won the first game on 2019 for an 11-3 stretch, which was followed by 5-17 stretch. Last year we re 6-0 and ranked 14th, followed, (so far) by a 5-10 stretch. A whiff of success followed by a stink bomb. When people experience success, they lose any tolerance for a lack of success. If we did it before, why can't we do it again?

Last edited:

There’s zero proof he has that power at all and he doesn’t. He’s merely stating what everyone is thinking. It has zero impact on what SU does though. To imply Axe will move the needle on how SU approaches all of this is silly.

The problem is in sustaining success. We went 10-3 in 2018 then won the first game on 2019 for an 11-3 stretch, which was followed by 5-17 stretch. Last year we re 6-0 and ranked 14th, followed, (so far) by a 5-10 stretch. A whiff of success followed by a stink bomb. When people experience success, they lost any tolerance for a lack of success. If we did it before, why can't we do it again?
I hear you.

Its the last 25 years of averaging 5 wins and 7 losses (rounded). 2 10 win seasons (P and Dino). 4 seasons with 8 or more wins (Marrone * 2).

If you look at just the post P years, the rounded averages are still 5 and 7, but ever so slightly closer to 4 and 8 respectively.

We have been deprived of consistent 'success' since 1999. And we were unhappy back then b/c McNabb never won enough. If only Vick came here with Freeney et al. Maybe we never endure Greg Robinson and there is a non-mic-grabbing transition from P to Marrone. And we are looking at 'consistent' 'success' going into 2012.

Babers went 1-10 in one of the most critical years of the rebuild evaluation, the one where its all your guys now. All you, nobody else. A bad hire that momentarily seemed like a good hire in 2018.

Or maybe we just cannot compete at this level with all the money required.

I hear you.

Its the last 25 years of averaging 5 wins and 7 losses (rounded). 2 10 win seasons (P and Dino). 4 seasons with 8 or more wins (Marrone * 2).

If you look at just the post P years, the rounded averages are still 5 and 7, but ever so slightly closer to 4 and 8 respectively.

We have been deprived of consistent 'success' since 1999. And we were unhappy back then b/c McNabb never won enough. If only Vick came here with Freeney et al. Maybe we never endure Greg Robinson and there is a non-mic-grabbing transition from P to Marrone. And we are looking at 'consistent' 'success' going into 2012.

Babers went 1-10 in one of the most critical years of the rebuild evaluation, the one where its all your guys now. All you, nobody else. A bad hire that momentarily seemed like a good hire in 2018.

Or maybe we just cannot compete at this level with all the money required.
yeah that last line nails it. We can compete with the middling peers in the middle of the ACC but that's gonna be it. The sooner we come to grips with it the better. If the $ from the ACC wasn't what it is vs. going to the MAC or AAC, it'd be a no brainer to bail.