Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Worst 4 game stretch since Reaves Baysinger, 1948

yeah that last line nails it. We can compete with the middling peers in the middle of the ACC but that's gonna be it. The sooner we come to grips with it the better. If the $ from the ACC wasn't what it is vs. going to the MAC or AAC, it'd be a no brainer to bail.
Yep fighting a forest fire with a garden hose. Only way we ever compete for a few years is to have a phenomenal head coach. A special head coach. I just don't ever see the recruiting ever being anything better than a tick better than what it has been ( ON PAPER) for reasons discussed at nauseum here.

Our odds are much better of catching lightning in a bottle for a few years with a HC than recruiting 60 kids that all are ACC type level

Kansas has gotten really good not because Leipold is some crazy recruiter it's because he's a hell of a football coach who has quite a few assistants that have been with him for a number of years. His OC has been with him for 12 years. I mean Dino is on his 5th OC in 8 years? That's not a recipe for success. Employee Turnover is not a key ingredient for many successful organizations

Last edited:
I hear you.

Its the last 25 years of averaging 5 wins and 7 losses (rounded). 2 10 win seasons (P and Dino). 4 seasons with 8 or more wins (Marrone * 2).

If you look at just the post P years, the rounded averages are still 5 and 7, but ever so slightly closer to 4 and 8 respectively.

We have been deprived of consistent 'success' since 1999. And we were unhappy back then b/c McNabb never won enough. If only Vick came here with Freeney et al. Maybe we never endure Greg Robinson and there is a non-mic-grabbing transition from P to Marrone. And we are looking at 'consistent' 'success' going into 2012.

Babers went 1-10 in one of the most critical years of the rebuild evaluation, the one where its all your guys now. All you, nobody else. A bad hire that momentarily seemed like a good hire in 2018.

Or maybe we just cannot compete at this level with all the money required.

You're really using the 1-10 season? Without touching that third rail we weren't competing on even ground, at all.

Completely getting blown out buy a very generic UMD team in 2019 was probably a better harbinger of Dino's downside and inability to adjust.

You're really using the 1-10 season? Without touching that third rail we weren't competing on even ground, at all.

Completely getting blown out buy a very generic UMD team in 2019 was probably a better harbinger of Dino's downside and inability to adjust.
Not sure why I or anyone would ignore the 1-10 season.

Off-hand, I don't remember the Marlyand, but I trust you.

This is like arguing about which cold pizza tastes better, as they are all worse than hot pizza.

yeah that last line nails it. We can compete with the middling peers in the middle of the ACC but that's gonna be it. The sooner we come to grips with it the better. If the $ from the ACC wasn't what it is vs. going to the MAC or AAC, it'd be a no brainer to bail.

Yeah, I'd still watch (if I could) if they bailed for a lower conference. Its cool to be in the ACC, but I support them because they are SU not which conference they are in.

Axe should run for Mayor.

68392c5f-1da2-4544-9f02-a8d9b75b2132_text.gif

Off-hand, I don't remember the Marlyand, but I trust you.

I wish I blocked it out too.

It's one of the worst losses in program history, given everything. Coming off a 10 win season, shutout in game 1, ranked #21, had our Elite 11 QB starting, poised to host Gameday the following week against Clemson.

And get our brains beat in, 63-20 by a team that went 1-9 the rest of the way with 5 of those losses being by 5 TDs or more.

It's my Macho Grande. I'll never get over it.

I agree about 2020, and I've always been fine with just pretending that season never happened.

However, if one does that, then I'm adamant that one can't look at 2021 and say there was improvement. To me, you draw a line from 2019 to 2021 and say that it was another underachieving, crummy season.

People tend to overcomplicate this thing. He's just not a very good coach. 2018 was an outlier.

I agree about 2020, and I've always been fine with just pretending that season never happened.

However, if one does that, then I'm adamant that one can't look at 2021 and say there was improvement. To me, you draw a line from 2019 to 2021 and say that it was another underachieving, crummy season.

People tend to overcomplicate this thing. He's just not a very good coach. 2018 was an outlier.

2021 was more - we lost a lot of pushes that the 2017 version of the guy maybe doesn't. Right now this looks like 2019, big time regression.

The quotes after VT were the same as the quotes after 2019 Maryland. Not good.

2021 was more - we lost a lot of pushes that the 2017 version of the guy maybe doesn't. Right now this looks like 2019, big time regression.

The quotes after VT were the same as the quotes after 2019 Maryland. Not good.
Yup. I feel like we've been reading the same stuff from the staff and players since 2019. Basically, that they weren't focused/intense enough/prepared enough... but NOW, now we got it.

I'm still reeling at when the Clemson announcers talked about Marlowe Wax saying the team believed their own hype after the 6-0 start last year, and that's a big reason why they fell apart. I mean, that same exact thing happened in the offseason leading into 2019. It's like Dino didn't learn a thing from that catastrophe.

It's one of the worst losses in program history, given everything. Coming off a 10 win season, shutout in game 1, ranked #21, had our Elite 11 QB starting, poised to host Gameday the following week against Clemson.

And get our brains beat in, 63-20 by a team that went 1-9 the rest of the way with 5 of those losses being by 5 TDs or more.

The entire program, and Dino himself, completely changed for the worse at that point

Not sure why I or anyone would ignore the 1-10 season.
I have never ignored it. Do I give Dino a pass for a non-winning season that year? Sure. But for winning only one game? Sorry, but no.

I’m pretty sure that each of the ten teams who beat us are not considering those wins to be non-existent. Because they don’t need that excuse. I’m pretty sure the only ones not counting that season are the schools who sucked.

The other thing that I always found hypocritical about it is that NOBODY judged hoops/JB by the same standard. The basketball team (unlike football) had two in-season quarantines if I recall, but still finished 18-14 with a .500 conference record. And yet NOBODY ever gave JB a free ride for COVID.

Nobody.

In fact, the COVID year was more fodder for the narrative that JB had lost something from his fastball.

So, I give that football season an asterisk, but not a free pass. Others view it differently but I do not, especially since it isn’t like it was sandwiched between periods of outstanding achievement by Dino.

100%

For me, this is what strongly tilted me that Dino was, for the most part, mostly style and very little substance in regards to his P5 level prowess, or lack thereof. The post game, "we didn't have any tape on them" excuse was the additional convincing nail in the coffin. Epic 100% total clown show-esqe of a statement IMO, and right up there with the infamous Shaffer ISIS comments.

People watch other football games right? Dino routinely makes way too many questionable to downright what the ___ are you doing decisions during games. It's been the case for years. Mistakes happen, and that falls under the coaching umbrella too. Perfection does not exist especially in this sport. But enough. He simply doesn't coach football at this level well enough. And again... it's a hard job!

Oh. Gawd. You are making me remember now.

Funny how a guy like Axe who is, for the most part, dismissed by everyone on this board, now has the means to help move a head coach out of town.
You would be shocked at how much credit insignificant dipsharts with no audience, no eyeballs, no earballs, no balls of any kind, no revenue, and no influence can receive for the firing of a coach

Last edited:

That season put a basement into the Alamo.

The original dipsharts retired four years before the firing but had so much power they still got blamed
Did not realize “they” retired 4 years before that. I could have sworn they were active until the firing. I learn something new every day.

You would be shocked at how credit insignificant dipsharts with no audience, no eyeballs, no earballs, no balls of any kind, no revenue, and no influence can receive for the firing of a coach

Thank you for leaving out no girlfriends and no prospects for girlfriends.

That was kind of you.

Did not realize “they” retired 4 years before that. I could have sworn they were active until the firing. I learn something new every day.

Two straight .500 seasons was Boeheim's retirement.

A 10-3 record in 2001 was ours.

Sometimes you just know when it's the right time to step aside.

Two straight .500 seasons was Boeheim's retirement.

A 10-3 record in 2001 was ours.

Sometimes you just know when it's the right time to step aside.
That makes sense now. I could never reconcile the 10-3 season with the other stuff before.

That makes sense now. I could never reconcile the 10-3 season with the other stuff before.
Someone was too lazy to do anything about the domain and some different people ran with it when that someone let it expire
Very little oversight by non technical staff

Last edited:
That season put a basement into the Alamo.
There are still some 'highlights' up on ESPNs game summary.

It looks like the QB Dino kinda-sorta-one-could-argue developed into the NY Giants starting QB threw for 300 yards and had just 1 TO, but Maryland just ran all over us. From the stats, save for the disparity in TD stats, it was kinda hard to tell where the wheels fell off.

I couldn't make myself watch the highlights.

I still barely remember this game, but can envision the bubble popping.

People watch other football games right? Dino routinely makes way too many questionable to downright what the ___ are you doing decisions during games. It's been the case for years. Mistakes happen, and that falls under the coaching umbrella too. Perfection does not exist especially in this sport. But enough. He simply doesn't coach football at this level well enough. And again... it's a hard job!
The alarming thing is that Dino thinks he’s good at game management. He prides himself in it. Yikes