Worst coaching year? | Syracusefan.com

Worst coaching year?

CU44SE

All Conference
This will come off harsh. I understand that. Just asking the questions. Has Jimmy ever had less of a feel for his team? Kadary and Jessie have shown in there extended stints of playing time that they deserved to get 15-20 every game this year. Imagine how much more comfortable they would be at this point in the season. That is the most complete game we have played all year against a good team. A team that dominates inside and just beat top seeded (In ACC) FSU on Saturday. By no means are we a top seed, but I think if these guys played 15-20 minutes in every game this year we would be safely in the tournament.

But my memory only goes back to really the 94 year (born in 88). So I’m honestly curious if you have any other examples of Jimmy failing to coach the team he has? I’m obviously coming off a high after watching a complete game with the players fans have been asking to play. But it just feels like this year could have been so much different.

This will come off harsh. I understand that. Just asking the questions. Has Jimmy ever had less of a feel for his team? Kadary and Jessie have shown in there extended stints of playing time that they deserved to get 15-20 every game this year. Imagine how much more comfortable they would be at this point in the season. That is the most complete game we have played all year against a good team. A team that dominates inside and just beat top seeded (In ACC) FSU on Saturday. By no means are we a top seed, but I think if these guys played 15-20 minutes in every game this year we would be safely in the tournament.

But my memory only goes back to really the 94 year (born in 88). So I’m honestly curious if you have any other examples of Jimmy failing to coach the team he has? I’m obviously coming off a high after watching a complete game with the players fans have been asking to play. But it just feels like this year could have been so much different.
The year(s) he kept starting Christmas at PF. Tbf, that might have been Christmas’ request, I don’t know

Dion should’ve gotten more minutes, but you can’t complain when you only lost 1 regular season game.

The Gillon year was horrendous. At one point Andrew White was the starting 2G. JB waited until mid January to start Gillon over Howard.

Edwards is only part of the rotation because Marek got into big time foul trouble last game. I guess I have to take JB’s word for it on Kadary’s conditioning but yikes, it seems like he waited too long to give Joe a lesser role.

JB also publicly insisted Battle couldn‘t play PG and then made him the PG two weeks later. The last 3-4 years have been really weird from a coaching perspective.

Pretty much on but I do need to remind you that the first 8 to 10 minutes were no where near "a complete" game. We just can not afford to dig a whole every single game while our three ball shooters warm up. We were down 11 to 2 early on. and UNC had 9 rebounds to our 1. We need cleaner starts, tighter offensive flow and stop shooting wildly from threes. The terrible start resulted in Kadary and Edwards getting in early and with that, it was worth it. Just tired of always living on the edge.

Who would start a thread like this after the team beat North Carolina? You trolls are full of yourselves these days.
You don't think it's fair after what we've seen from these guys to question what Jim has done this year? I think last night only furthers the point that Kadary/Jesse/JGIII should have been handled WAY different. You don't think it's fair to think some of those games go a different way? That first Pitt game may be what sinks this team and not playing Kadary and Jesse certainly contributed.

Last edited:
Pretty much on but I do need to remind you that the first 8 to 10 minutes were no where near "a complete" game. We just can not afford to dig a whole every single game while our three ball shooters warm up. We were down 11 to 2 early on. and UNC had 9 rebounds to our 1. We need cleaner starts, tighter offensive flow and stop shooting wildly from threes. The terrible start resulted in Kadary and Edwards getting in early and with that, it was worth it. Just tired of always living on the edge.

I meant most complete game from when kadary and Edwards went in to when they came out. So essentially from the 15 minute mark in first half to the 5 minute mark of second half. That stretch was the most complete team/part of a game we have seen this year.

no one really knows what covid issues have done to the team.. I look at a team with a ton of issues and wonder how we even got above .500. I agree that first Pitt game has come back to haunt us. But so did not having Buddy for Rutgers.

I also think practice does matter and if you dont do it in practice its hard to see the game time even if you have some upside.. I think people if they were around the program would see it better.. it happens even more in fball with some really talented physical players not ever seeing the field because they just dont work hard or do the right things in practice.

Edwards had a great game. need that every time out.. Kadary is our best guard when he plays well. but geesh he made about 10 bone head plays last night too.. He also has been hurt or sick 3-4 times this yr and limited some others so while maybe more minutes would have helped we have no idea how many he can actually play. He sucked it up last night but he was hurting a long time before he came out too.

The Gillon year was horrendous. At one point Andrew White was the starting 2G. JB waited until mid January to start Gillon over Howard.

Edwards is only part of the rotation because Marek got into big time foul trouble last game. I guess I have to take JB’s word for it on Kadary’s conditioning but yikes, it seems like he waited too long to give Joe a lesser role.

JB also publicly insisted Battle couldn‘t play PG and then made him the PG two weeks later. The last 3-4 years have been really weird from a coaching perspective.
To be fair, Kadary’s conditioning looked way worse than it is now at the beginning of the season. Probably was getting over COVID still, his conditioning looks much improved. Can’t fault JB there

To be fair, Kadary’s conditioning looked way worse than it is now at the beginning of the season. Probably was getting over COVID still, his conditioning looks much improved. Can’t fault JB there
yup And it has a ripple effect.. Buddy and Joe had the same issues, Joe still looks like he is struggling

no one really knows what covid issues have done to the team.. I look at a team with a ton of issues and wonder how we even got above .500. I agree that first Pitt game has come back to haunt us. But so did not having Buddy for Rutgers.

I also think practice does matter and if you dont do it in practice its hard to see the game time even if you have some upside.. I think people if they were around the program would see it better.. it happens even more in fball with some really talented physical players not ever seeing the field because they just dont work hard or do the right things in practice.

Edwards had a great game. need that every time out.. Kadary is our best guard when he plays well. but geesh he made about 10 bone head plays last night too.. He also has been hurt or sick 3-4 times this yr and limited some others so while maybe more minutes would have helped we have no idea how many he can actually play. He sucked it up last night but he was hurting a long time before he came out too.
Sorry, the COVID situations, while crappy, are just an excuse. Clemson and Louisville have been hit just as hard as Cuse with COVID pauses and are sitting at 4th and 5th in the conference and will easily be in the tourney. Baylor has had multiple pauses and they've lost 1 game. In all honesty, COVID was a reason to get more kids time and have more depth. If Cuse was the only team in the conference/country dealing with this it would be one thing. Other teams are dealing with the same issues and overcoming. This is a huge issue with Jim only playing 7 guys this year. Not giving Braswell and Woody time as well is inexcusable.

Sorry, the COVID situations, while crappy, are just an excuse. Clemson and Louisville have been hit just as hard as Cuse with COVID pauses and are sitting at 4th and 5th in the conference and will easily be in the tourney. Baylor has had multiple pauses and they've lost 1 game. In all honesty, COVID was a reason to get more kids time and have more depth. If Cuse was the only team in the conference/country dealing with this it would be one thing. Other teams are dealing with the same issues and overcoming. This is a huge issue with Jim only playing 7 guys this year. Not giving Braswell and Woody time as well is inexcusable.
Louisville dealt with it by canceling a game at the last minute when they had a good chance of losing. Both resumes look different if that game is played and SU wins.

The true believers only look at the Win and it negates everything else. They fail to look at how the win occurred and that it only confirms what everyone has been complaining about the entirety of the season.

Who would start a thread like this after the team beat North Carolina? You trolls are full of yourselves these days.
Because a quality home win over a quad 2 team shouldn’t excuse the fact that the staff’s performance over the past few years has been inadequate.

We won because Edwards and Richmond stepped up big time. Shows that the staff does not have a pulse on minutes distribution and that likely cost us 2 or 3 wins this year.

Louisville dealt with it by canceling a game at the last minute when they had a good chance of losing. Both resumes look different if that game is played and SU wins.
Louisville has had multiple COVID pauses. Oh, and Cuse lost to a Pitt team in the Dome that was ravaged by injury and COVID. Assuming a Cuse win (in either of those games) was far from a given.

Hindsight is always better. bottom line is that Jb should have been playing Edwards and Kadary more earlier.
It's just common sense unless you have superstars that you should be getting your young guys at least a few minutes all year long. Throwing out a skinny PF at the 5 and making him play 35-40mpg while 3 underclassmen Centers sit for weeks at a time is so damn ridiculous. The best part is that one actually got to play and looked pretty damn good but then post game still have to say he's not ready. What world are we living in?

This year and 2017 are the two off the top of my head.

Because a quality home win over a quad 2 team shouldn’t excuse the fact that the staff’s performance over the past few years has been inadequate.

We won because Edwards and Richmond stepped up big time. Shows that the staff does not have a pulse on minutes distribution and that likely cost us 2 or 3 wins this year.
This is my issue too. How does a win here or there justify the overall trajectory of this program and where Jim is taking the program. Beating an average UNC team is not a big deal. They are one of the worst shooting teams in the country and that was on full display last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom