Worst Refereed Games Against Cuse - All Time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Refereed Games Against Cuse - All Time

42 Free throws is crazy and fouling out 2 of our best players. Sullinger was allowed to do whatever he wanted in that game.
Actually if I remember correctly, Sullinger went out with early foul trouble in the first half. He was given free reign in the second half but him being in early foul trouble gave cover to those that wanted to say the officiating was even.

And for good measure, the ref is right on top of Joseph getting taken down by the neck, has to dance out of the way from the takedown, then sprints to the far corner to say Butler ball.

Butler ended up getting a 3 to make it a one point game, instead of a 4 point game and SU ball with ~3 mins left. And when you factor in the JB Slide Rule slow down game, this missed call tipped the game enough to Butler

Ohio State is still fresh in the memory but there are some golden oldies in the mix:

1978: We are 85-87 to big underdog Western Kentucky in the first round of the NCAAs. Marty Byrnes is driving to the basket off the break as the clock is about to run out. He gets clothes-lines across the arms and force out of bounds. He's strong enough to flip the ball up anyway and kisses it off the glass and in. Tie game and Marty's going to the line to win it with 1 second left. Billy Packer starts shouting at the refs "There's no continuation on college basketball", over and over again. They listen to him and dice to have a conference about it with Marty standing on the line. After about 5 minutes, they announce that the basket doesn't count and Marty and a 1 and 1 to tie. He makes the first but misses the second and we can't get the rebound. Game and season over. :mad:

1981: NIT Final. We are leading Tulsa by about 7 midway through the second half when Nolan Richardson calls a time out. He spends the entire time out talking calmly with the officials who call 19 fouls the rest of the game- 18 on Syracuse, fouling out 4/5 of our line up. the one remaining player, Eric Santifer, has the game of his life with 29 points to get us into OT but we run out of gas because we ran out of players and lose 84-86. I've always had a desire to someday win the NIT, (if we are stuck in ti) to wipe that memory away. :mad: :mad:

1983: An 11-0 SU team goes down to Chapel Hill to play Michael Jordan's North Carolina team. 34 fouls are called on us, 11 on them. On one play a Syracuse player gets knocked to the ground in the paint and loses the ball. UNC gets it and passes to Michael who dunks on the other end. A foul is called on the closest SU player, who didn't touch him. "And One!" We lose 64-87. :mad:

1986: We lose to Notre Dame in the Dome 81-85. We try 11 free throws. they attempt 49. :mad:

1986: We lose in the NCAAs to Navy. We try 21 free throws. they try 54.:mad:

1987: Tip-off classic vs. UNC. Derrick Coleman intercepts an inbounds pass, does a turn-around dribble and drive to the basket for the go-ahead score. Replays show that this takes about 3 seconds. They also show that the clock doesn't move. UNC inbounds and goes the length of the court where a guy, (Chilcott?), makes a buzzer shot to send the game into OT. We lose 93-96. With the 3 seconds taken off the clock all they would have had time for was an 80 foot prayer. :confused:

Either the 1987 71-72 game or the 1988 68-69 game vs. Georgetown in the Dome where Rony Seikaly made a free throw that never went up on the scoreboard with no apparent explanation. There was no sign of a lane violation and nothing was announced over the PA or the radio. :oops::rolleyes:

A Boston College game in the Dome in the early's. I don't remember the score or who won. i just remember Adrian Autry dribbling along the baseline under the SU goal, (on my end so I had a great view), and stabbing his right foot, clearly out of bounds. the ref runs over and slides to his knees, dramatically positioning to the spot where Autry's foot went down. he put his whistle in his mouth but didn't blow it. Instead, he looked over his shoulder to see if the lay-up went in. it did not and BC got a fast break to the other end. The ref dropped the whistle from his mouth, got up and jogged back down court to a chorus of boos from fans who realized that he hadn't blown his whistle because BC was better off with the fast break. :mad::mad:

All the games over the years where Georgetown, Connecticut, Pittsburgh and Louisville were allowed to get away with murder because they were fouling on every play and the refs didn't want to call all of them.:mad::mad:

And for good measure, the ref is right on top of Joseph getting taken down by the neck, has to dance out of the way from the takedown, then sprints to the far corner to say Butler ball.

That is absolute insanity

ahhhh the suplex, good times. Seriously I think we get more bad (both non, anticipation, and wrong) than any other high major program, it really makes winning really tough, especially in tourny games. Hard to win 8 on 5.

I feel exactly the same way...Maybe it is the proverbial middle finger JB seems to keep giving to the NCAA, his whiny attitude or all of the above but name a high major program that gets hosed more than us. We don't even get calls at home anymore

ahhhh the suplex, good times. Seriously I think we get more bad (both non, anticipation, and wrong) than any other high major program, it really makes winning really tough, especially in tourny games. Hard to win 8 on 5.
Sidibe is the easy target this year, he leads the country in fouls for good reason. Amazing what a team can accomplish when they’re pulling together, god bless America

Ohio State is still fresh in the memory but there are some golden oldies in the mix:

1978: We are 85-87 to big underdog Western Kentucky in the first round of the NCAAs. Marty Byrnes is driving to the basket off the break as the clock is about to run out. He gets clothes-lines across the arms and force out of bounds. He's strong enough to flip the ball up anyway and kisses it off the glass and in. Tie game and Marty's going to the line to win it with 1 second left. Billy Packer starts shouting at the refs "There's no continuation on college basketball", over and over again. They listen to him and dice to have a conference about it with Marty standing on the line. After about 5 minutes, they announce that the basket doesn't count and Marty and a 1 and 1 to tie. He makes the first but misses the second and we can't get the rebound. Game and season over. :mad:

1981: NIT Final. We are leading Tulsa by about 7 midway through the second half when Nolan Richardson calls a time out. He spends the entire time out talking calmly with the officials who call 19 fouls the rest of the game- 18 on Syracuse, fouling out 4/5 of our line up. the one remaining player, Eric Santifer, has the game of his life with 29 points to get us into OT but we run out of gas because we ran out of players and lose 84-86. I've always had a desire to someday win the NIT, (if we are stuck in ti) to wipe that memory away. :mad: :mad:

1983: An 11-0 SU team goes down to Chapel Hill to play Michael Jordan's North Carolina team. 34 fouls are called on us, 11 on them. On one play a Syracuse player gets knocked to the ground in the paint and loses the ball. UNC gets it and passes to Michael who dunks on the other end. A foul is called on the closest SU player, who didn't touch him. "And One!" We lose 64-87. :mad:

1986: We lose to Notre Dame in the Dome 81-85. We try 11 free throws. they attempt 49. :mad:

1986: We lose in the NCAAs to Navy. We try 21 free throws. they try 54.:mad:

1987: Tip-off classic vs. UNC. Derrick Coleman intercepts an inbounds pass, does a turn-around dribble and drive to the basket for the go-ahead score. Replays show that this takes about 3 seconds. They also show that the clock doesn't move. UNC inbounds and goes the length of the court where a guy, (Chilcott?), makes a buzzer shot to send the game into OT. We lose 93-96. With the 3 seconds taken off the clock all they would have had time for was an 80 foot prayer. :confused:

Either the 1987 71-72 game or the 1988 68-69 game vs. Georgetown in the Dome where Rony Seikaly made a free throw that never went up on the scoreboard with no apparent explanation. There was no sign of a lane violation and nothing was announced over the PA or the radio. :oops::rolleyes:

A Boston College game in the Dome in the early's. I don't remember the score or who won. i just remember Adrian Autry dribbling along the baseline under the SU goal, (on my end so I had a great view), and stabbing his right foot, clearly out of bounds. the ref runs over and slides to his knees, dramatically positioning to the spot where Autry's foot went down. he put his whistle in his mouth but didn't blow it. Instead, he looked over his shoulder to see if the lay-up went in. it did not and BC got a fast break to the other end. The ref dropped the whistle from his mouth, got up and jogged back down court to a chorus of boos from fans who realized that he hadn't blown his whistle because BC was better off with the fast break. :mad::mad:

All the games over the years where Georgetown, Connecticut, Pittsburgh and Louisville were allowed to get away with murder because they were fouling on every play and the refs didn't want to call all of them.:mad::mad:

Forgot about that David Robinson Navy game and I was young, but I remember being extremely mad after that game. 54 to 21 is insane !!!!

1985 game vs BC.

Froggy called a block against Andre Hawkins when it clearly was a charge on Michael Adams.

Years later Froggy admitted it was the one call that kept him up at night.
With hank Nichols, the best ref in the country by far, standing right there. Nichols didn't call the block but Froggy did from far away.

Actually if I remember correctly, Sullinger went out with early foul trouble in the first half. He was given free reign in the second half but him being in early foul trouble gave cover to those that wanted to say the officiating was even.

Oh, it was called badly vs tOSU also.

... but only to a fraction of how atrociously badly it was called against us.

The net was - we got screwed.

I STILL say we shoulda played Fab anyway, and worry about the games being vacated later.

We would have easily won that game with him, even in spite of the ludicrous officiating.
If nothing else, his elite D and 5 more fouls to give would have been more than enough to overcome the zebras.

Not even close - Ohio State.

Yep! IMO the NCAA mandated the SU wasn’t going to the FF that season. (Fine fiasco and fab) It also seemed that keeping Dion on the bench was part of that plan. They weren’t going to let him make a difference.

Ahh, so many great memories. I'm not saying the whole game was worse than Ohio State or Butler, but the backcourt violation against Scoop against Marquette in the 2011 tournament wasn't even a judgement call. It was flat our wrong and the NCAA later admitted it. Meanwhile it gave Marquette the ball in a tie game with less than a minute left, and they predictably hit a 3. Season over.

Starts and ends with Ohio St. That game cost me a relationship. I was too mad to g out after that debacle.
Was dating my wife at the time. She had tickets to Luke Bryan at MetLife Stadium and I obliged, not knowing beforehand that the game would be at exactly the same time.

Lucky (or unlucky) for me I found a bar inside the stadium showing the game. Glad she had a friend along to keep her company at the concert.

I was at Book of Mormon during the Ohio St game. Original Broadway cast. I have much, much better memories from that night than the rest of you.

2014 at Duke.

I will say that some of you think that being a ref is much easier than it actually Its not an easy game to call. That being said, some are worse than others and manage to mess it up pretty bad some times.

I will also say that if you are doing this objectively you should be able to find some games where we got the benefit of ref calls.

My general principle is that for the most part things balance out, although when one game is in the elite 8, a regular season game going our way does not offset that. With one exception -- you always get screwed against Duke. Always.

Last edited:
I firmly believe the NCAA didn't want Cuse in the Final Four that year due to off the court allegations and they encouraged the refs to be alert for certain things to call against us.
For this same reason, I don't think the NCAA will want Kansas to win the championship this year and will be looking for Kansas to get bumped off due to a badly called game.

Bill Self and Kansas can you usually find ways to lose all by themselves come March.

When I saw the thread title and CsonkaStash, I assumed it was a trick question and the only correct answer is: "every Syracuse game ever played is the worst officiated SU game of all-time, they're all tied for #1."

Last edited:
Has the stripe who called the charge at Duke ever worked one of our games again? I'm sure he has but I rarely seem him anymore.

With hank Nichols, the best ref in the country by far, standing right there. Nichols didn't call the block but Froggy did from far away.

Forgot about that one. Andre was a statue and Adams, (a long time pest) wound up on the line with no time left, just needing to make a free throw to win.

I also, amazingly, forgot the Michael Graham game where a flagrant foul got turned into a one-and-one by John Thompson's glare. That was Froggy, too. he lived in Syracuse and somebody figured out that 70% of his calls in a Syracuse game went against Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom