Worst Rotations in College Hoops (Article) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Rotations in College Hoops (Article)

The issue is that no player has been consistent game to game as he states. We lost lots of offense last year with Buddy, Jimmy and Cole, all starters, who scored an average of 46.8 points a game between them. What 3 players on our current squad can replace those points? Same with rebounds who replaces the 16.4 rebounds per game we lost? That is really what the staff is looking at and why JB is all over it explaining in his press conferences.

Joe and Jesse are scoring together a total of 3.8 points more per game than last year and Jesse/Girard are rebounding 4.5 more rebounds/game. Even counting on playing better defense than last year that’s a lot of scoring and rebounding to just match last years‘ numbers .Between Benny, Bell, Brown, Taylor, JBA, Copeland, Hima etc we have to find enough consistency to score and rebound. We have poorer 3 point shooting (.377 vs.328) this year so we need even more rebounds and good scoring 2 point possessions to make up for it.

We lost a lot of shot attempts per game.

That’s the way we should look at it.

Bell is under a 10 PER and has <52% TS. Benny is around a 13 PER and amazingly somehow has a 48.3% TS.

Maliq:
26.3 PER
65% TS

His Total rebound % is more than Benny and Bell ****combined****. His total assist % is almost more than Benny and Brown combined.

He drinks their milkshake in every efficiency category.

And that’s why I’m saying to not look at what we lost in total ppg. But look at the shot count.

Listen, I would kill to have Cole on this team, but he isn’t here. But JB needs to make a move.

Bell is a two dribble inconsistent shooter. That’s it.

Benny tries when his early jump shots goes in, otherwise he can get disengaged.

Brown has earned it.

i don't believe JB has a proper handle on this group or how to best utilize his bench. he has shown over the years he is only comfortable playing 6-7 guys and and only resorts to his bench when forced by foul trouble or to "penalty box" certain select players who he has a problem with. he's on record saying at least a hundred times kids can play 40 and that's clearly his preference. don't switch lineups. don't switch defenses . don't run offensive sets. low maintenance coaching 101. roll the ball out and play.
the sea change in his 2022 rotational strategy i believe we're seeing this year is based primarily on 2 factors:

#1 he clearly has no grasp of what each player brings and how to best combine them. he be fishing.

#2 (more importantly) he is clearly now afraid of THE PORTAL and kids who DNP hitting the bricks.

i don't believe JB has a proper handle on this group or how to best utilize his bench. he has shown over the years he is only comfortable playing 6-7 guys and and only resorts to his bench when forced by foul trouble or to "penalty box" certain select players who he has a problem with. he's on record saying at least a hundred times kids can play 40 and that's clearly his preference. don't switch lineups. don't switch defenses . don't run offensive sets. low maintenance coaching 101. roll the ball out and play.
the sea change in his 2022 rotational strategy i believe we're seeing this year is based primarily on 2 factors:

#1 he clearly has no grasp of what each player brings and how to best combine them. he be fishing.

#2 (more importantly) he is clearly now afraid of THE PORTAL and kids who DNP hitting the bricks.

I can assure you we run offensive sets.

Brown and Hima need to replace the failed Benny and Bell experiment. First off the bench should be Copeland. if fed sedatives. Jesse to PF. We have no choice as other than Brown there is no one acceptable to play foward.
We need to win matchups. Deadmen could win matchups with our starting forwards.

Right it is. Ever sit courtside where you can hear the plays called out? Didn’t think so. I have.
rich and privileged don't make you right. we play ISO ball. anyone with eyes sees it. most possessions are 1 pass or less. that's what we call ISO. no coaching needed. just 1st round talent. which we lack.

Right it is. Ever sit courtside where you can hear the plays called out? Didn’t think so. I have.
Meh. Just because they call out plays doesn't mean that they're the most effective or something designed for other than getting 1 or 2 designated players in an ISO situation.

Bees- I agree, we run sets but in fairness, they aren’t very effective. We have the worst high ball screen in CBB. 90% of the time there is no contact with the defender on the screen, he just goes over a weak screen and then we resort to iso ball way too often. Truth be told our guards are the problem, they don’t drive their man into the screen. Been that way for years. You’d think with 3 PGs as coaches, we’d do that right.

Florang44

Well whatever we run isn’t getting anyone consistent clean or open looks

right. judah drive flop and get fouled is an offensive set. we don't share the ball. it's called ISO.
Bees is right. You don’t understand basketball if you can’t see the offensive sets we do run. My issue with JB is that the offense lacks complexity and diversity, it’s the same boring handful of sets we’ve been running forever, and we often don’t run them crisply or have constant motion. And after they run through them, we just resort to high ball screens and dribble drive. One play not included in this article is the horns set, where two bigs come up to the elbows of the free throw line and set staggered ball screens. I really hope we go after an offensive-minded coach like Matt Painter after JB retires.

Last edited:
Bees is right. You don’t understand basketball if you can’t see the offensive sets we do run.
when the ball never leaves one players hands over half court. not a set. can we agree a set is at least 3 passes ?

rich and privileged don't make you right. we play ISO ball. anyone with eyes sees it. most possessions are 1 pass or less. that's what we call ISO. no coaching needed. just 1st round talent. which we lack.

LOL. Again something you don’t know so it must be wrong. Running sets doesn’t mean there’s never any 1-1 play. I could even name you some of the plays/sets. You might even be able to see a few of them called on TV.

so we disagree on semantics. i say bringing the ball over half court and driving to the hoop with no passing is schoolyard. you say it's a set play. either way it's ISO. which is what we run. open your eyes instead of your ears courtside.

Bees- I agree, we run sets but in fairness, they aren’t very effective. We have the worst high ball screen in CBB. 90% of the time there is no contact with the defender on the screen, he just goes over a weak screen and then we resort to iso ball way too often. Truth be told our guards are the problem, they don’t drive their man into the screen. Been that way for years. You’d think with 3 PGs as coaches, we’d do that right.

Florang44

As you know, I was responding to the comment that we don’t run any sets. That is 100% wrong. Whether they are effective or not is a different discussion.

when the ball never leaves one players hands over half court. not a set. can we agree a set is at least 3 passes ?
Don’t agree with this one. One of JBs main sets is the double screen up top where if the PG gets the right look he could take it right to the basket and get a layup. Jason Hart and Allen Griffen worked this all the time

so we disagree on semantics. i say bringing the ball over half court and driving to the hoop with no passing is schoolyard. you say it's a set play. either way it's ISO. which is what we run. open your eyes instead of your ears courtside.

It’s not semantics. You said we don’t run any sets. We do. Off the top of my head some I have seen/heard are one fist, two fists, 1, 2, blue, Arizona. There’s more but that’s what I can remember right now and maybe with this years team some of those aren’t run. But I’ll let you know next time I sit there. But we run sets/plays.

Not having at least one of Benny Bell or Taylor out on the court will lead to major offensive problems. Especially when both the pg and back up pg both can not and will not shoot from any sort of range.

Joe still likes to try and create something off the dribble and after four years of reps it is not a completely useless thing to try. If we don't have one of Benny Bell or Taylor out there then he has literally nobody to kick it out to, except a guy that the D knows will not shoot from range. Mintz only has joe to kick it out to when he drives in the lane. Everyone else is no threat so the D may as well get bunched in and around the paint without consequences. We saw it a lot vs Pitt. A front court of Brown Jesse and either Hima Ajak or Copeland is an offensive black hole unless they create enough second chances on the boards. I don't think that would be sustainable.

It’s not semantics. You said we don’t run any sets. We do. Off the top of my head some I have seen/heard are one fist, two fists, 1, 2, blue, Arizona. There’s more but that’s what I can remember right now and maybe with this years team some of those aren’t run. But I’ll let you know next time I sit there. But we run sets/plays.

Forgot the one we run often. Motion.

Jason Hart and Allen Griffen worked this all the time
20+ years ago.
Bees is right. You don’t understand basketball if you can’t see the offensive sets we do run. My issue with JB is that the offense lacks complexity and diversity, it’s the same boring handful of sets we’ve been running forever, and we often don’t run them crisply or have constant motion. And after they run through them, we just resort to high ball screens and dribble drive. One play not included in this article is the horns set, where two bigs come up to the elbows of the free throw line and set staggered ball screens. I really hope we go after an offensive-minded coach like Matt Painter after JB retires.
I agree, that they run "plays" but the end goal is the same and it's heavily reliant on individual players to make offense happen and when they can't, they're at a serious disadvantage. From the article:
“The offense is maybe the simplest in college basketball,” former Syracuse center Roosevelt Bouie says. “But there’s a lot of genius in just letting your players make plays, rather than be tied up with plays and diagrams.

“It’s organized pickup.”
All well and good when you're leaning on NBA talent to make it work. And when you're not?

Not having at least one of Benny Bell or Taylor out on the court will lead to major offensive problems. Especially when both the pg and back up pg both can not and will not shoot from any sort of range.

Joe still likes to try and create something off the dribble and after four years of reps it is not a completely useless thing to try. If we don't have one of Benny Bell or Taylor out there then he has literally nobody to kick it out to, except a guy that the D knows will not shoot from range. Mintz only has joe to kick it out to when he drives in the lane. Everyone else is no threat so the D may as well get bunched in and around the paint without consequences. We saw it a lot vs Pitt. A front court of Brown Jesse and either Hima Ajak or Copeland is an offensive black hole unless they create enough second chances on the boards. I don't think that would be sustainable.
You could play a lineup of Joe Mintz Brown QC Jesse and score points. It was proven last game. Everyone can say "they will pack in the lane" until their blue in the face yet somehow we scored points.

if you want to say it's not sustainable, we could agree to a point. But I don't think we have a def 5 that is sustainable anyways. So all lineups should be on the table.

20+ years ago.
Well yeah. You got to follow along with the thread.

The question was "can we agree a set is at least 3 passes ?"

I explained, no.

Not sure what 20+ year has to do with it

You could play a lineup of Joe Mintz Brown QC Jesse and score points. It was proven last game. Everyone can say "they will pack in the lane" until their blue in the face yet somehow we scored points.

if you want to say it's not sustainable, we could agree to a point. But I don't think we have a def 5 that is sustainable anyways. So all lineups should be on the table.
Of those guys that line up would probably be the best, but keep in mind that was by far the best we have seen out of copeland on offense to date. There will be games from him where you want him on the bench as soon as possible, and the way his shot looks there will definitely be games where you don't want him spacing the court and shooting from range. Would still like to see him take some of Sys back up guard minutes since we would finally have a guard with some size capable of actually contesting threes in the zone.

Well yeah. You got to follow along with the thread.

The question was "can we agree a set is at least 3 passes ?"

I explained, no.

Not sure what 20+ year has to do with it
Ok, so? Because it's all missing the forest for the trees. Does it matter how someone defines a play vs a set vs a simple ISO dribble-drive offense? 20 years has to do with the fact that like the article said, Syracuse is exceptionally easy to scout for. It's a tired system that has stagnated for years and the head coach isn't interested in changing because reasons (e.g., this used to work wonders back in the day). OK, how about a set means that the players are moving in agreed upon patterns to score the basketball. Great. whoopity do.