Worst Rotations in College Hoops (Article) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Rotations in College Hoops (Article)

Matt Painter is a great offensive coach. His teams never won crap though, because defense is an afterthought. Purdue is #1 in polls right now, they wont advance past sweet 16.
Purdue wins at a very high level. They’ve made the NCAA tourney in nearly all of Painter’s years coaching (except for 3 times), and they’ve been a consistent top 25 team for most of the past decade+. I’d love to be in their position. Their post-season flame outs are a bit overstated. Most happened earlier in his career, and you’re correct they were due to having a weaker defense. But the past few years they’ve made an Elite Eight (shoulda beat Virginia to go to the Final Four in 2019) and three sweet 16s (2017, 2018, and 2022).

Purdue wins at a very high level. They’ve made the NCAA tourney in nearly all of Painter’s years coaching (except for 3 times), and they’ve been a consistent top 25 team for most of the past decade+. I’d love to be in their position. Their post-season flame outs are a bit overstated. Most happened earlier in his career, and you’re correct they were due to having a weaker defense. But the past few years they’ve made an Elite Eight (shoulda beat Virginia to go to the Final Four in 2019) and three sweet 16s (2017, 2018, and 2022).
A lot of Purdue fans would trade most of it for a Final Four.

This is Painter’s 18th season. One Elite Eight. Boeheim’s first Final Four took 11 years and he hasn’t had a drought that long since.

He is ALL the way dug in on playing 2 centers. Lol.

Hey, the Knicks have been doing it since Toppin got hurt, and they are an exceptionally run organization, so it must be smart to do.

Purdue is seemingly bitten by the Big Tens continuous failure to bring home a title. The BIG has 1 title since their 4 wins between 79 and 89( Maryland was ACC in 02) So while Mich St, Michigan and Wisky have recent final four runs, overall that conference has just not been good in the tourney even when on paper they are one of the best conferences year in year out.

I would take Purdues current program state in a heartbeat though all the same.

Purdue is seemingly bitten by the Big Tens continuous failure to bring home a title. The BIG has 1 title since their 4 wins between 79 and 89( Maryland was ACC in 02) So while Mich St, Michigan and Wisky have recent final four runs, overall that conference has just not been good in the tourney even when on paper they are one of the best conferences year in year out.

I would take Purdues current program state in a heartbeat though all the same.
I understand that POV and recognize many feel the same way.

I also think it’s easy to take our success for granted because we’ve already experienced a title run and multiple Final Fours. Been there, done that. I mean, we have fans dismissing Final Four runs. For my friends and family who went to Mizzou, that’s unfathomable.

I understand that POV and recognize many feel the same way.

I also think it’s easy to take our success for granted because we’ve already experienced a title run and multiple Final Fours. Been there, done that. I mean, we have fans dismissing Final Four runs. For my friends and family who went to Mizzou, that’s unfathomable.

Honestly it's the combination that matters. Tourney success without a good regular season is low probability in general. Good regular seasons with little post season success has a longer runway but ultimately is also an issue. End of the day you need to be relevant in the regular season to get anything more than a couple Cinderella wins