Would Marrone leave for Tennessee? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would Marrone leave for Tennessee?

I certainly hope not. The fans here would pitch a fit that he's not a proven winner on a high level, and he'd never get a chance in their eyes unless he managed to beat Florida and had a winning conference record by year 2. They would dislike that he's not a southern guy, and only being an assistant here for a short time wouldn't count. I'd also never hear the end of it down here.

1.65mil in syracuse is worth just about 3mil everywhere else. Plus, Wegmans. No brainer.
All things considered, cost of living in Knoxville is pretty similar to Syracuse. I personally believe it's an uglier town and traffic is certainly worse. I totally agree about Wegmans. Someone tell Danny to expand to TN!

I think it's obvious. Marrone's Orange fandom is Cali+Mantonio with 100x the optimism, because it's his ass. The only way he leaves is a scandal, or the chance to coach some crazy pros, like Eli, which he was already being brought up as an NFL HC before coming to SU. really, that's all fans need to know. We're in such secure hands it isn't funny.

I think he would go. Great, great opportunity.

How many times has he mentioned what his dream job is? Is this even a serious question?

Last month, the lot of ya wanted Doug to leave for Solvay!

Now, you are worshiping at his feet?

Please tell me no.

Doug coached at Tennessee, did really well and enjoyed his time there. His wife Helen is from Tennessee. Those are the connections.

I doubt UT would want to hire a guy out of the Bronx, and I doubt DM would want to go there but I suppose stranger things have happened. GRob for instance...

However...

It is DM's dream job and he is not finished with it

DM and Helen have children. CNY has some of the best school districts in the country, it is a great place to raise children.

Helen is an attorney and a child advocate. She is no fool. While she might at times pine for home, raising children in Tennessee is a problem, because unfortunately, Tennessee is in Tennessee.

170px-Huckleberry-finn-with-rabbit.jpg
huck.jpg

There was a very uneducated article written on Rivals about who should replace Derek Dooley. Their excerpt on Marrone said this... Very stupid.
Doug Marrone
Record: 22-25
Salary: $1.3 million
Coaching stops: head coach Syracuse (2009-present), offensive coordinator New Orleans Saints (2006-2008), offensive line New York Jets (2002-2005), tight end/offensive tackle Tennessee (2001), offensive line Georgia (2000), offensive line Georgia Tech (1996-1999), offensive line Northeastern (1994), offensive line Coast Guard (1993), tight ends Courtland State (1992)
Background: Marrone has plenty of ties to the south and the SEC. Marrone has coordinator experience at the NFL level and has three years head coaching experience taking his alma mater to a bowl game in his second season going 8-5.
Pros and Cons:With a win in their last two games, Marrone will take Syracuse to back to back bowl games for the first time since 1998-1999. Marrone only makes 1.3 million and has a small buyout. It's also believed that Marrone would like to get back to the South to coach. Marrone's wife is a native of middle Tennessee. The concern is the fact that Marrone doesn't have a winning record as a coach and could you sell Marrone to a fan base looking for a
Ha - someone remind me which bowl we went to last year.

How many times has he mentioned what his dream job is? Is this even a serious question?

I don't think Doug would leave now, but I, too, had a dream job which I got. After I got there, it was more of a nightmare.

Things change. Don't assume Doug would never leave for a better college situation.

It would be a family decision just like any other job offer and he'd have to look at all the positives and negatives...I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I hope Marrone stays here and finishes the job he started like Tom said but with the more success he has the more there are likely to be offers which is a good thing for him and SU. I always thought the Tennessee job and the Jets were always going to be the greatest threats or at least the most attractive for him and his family. College football is a business and if he didn't/doesn't do well he gets fired so again, he has to do what is best for him/family.

A month ago these posts were about DM being on the hot seat. Funny how quickly the discussion changes after a couple Ws.

A month ago these posts were about DM being on the hot seat. Funny how quickly the discussion changes after a couple Ws.

That's the way sports work and always have.

He's not going anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if his agent has his name in Tennessee search to get the contract extension finished up here. I would think the only names that would move his needle are: Giants and Jets (and obviously Rutgers)

1.65mil in syracuse is worth just about 3mil everywhere else. Plus, Wegmans. No brainer.

1.65 million in syracuse is probably worth 1.25 million in tenn.

No state income tax, very low property tax, real estate about the same.

There are DEFINITELY plenty reasons for a journalist to call him a legit candidate at Tenn. Anyone on here that doesn't at least see that, should be considered delusional.

That being said, I think he is staying at Cuse.

Coaching in front of 100K people, this would be quite the attractive offer and if turned down would say volumes to what Marrone and his family think of Syracuse and SU.

Coaching in front of 100K people, this would be quite the attractive offer and if turned down would say volumes to what Marrone and his family think of Syracuse and SU.

Or he could make the mistake that Rich Rod made and be out on his ass in 3 years at Tennessee.

I think we already know what Marrone thinks of Syracuse and SU.. no?

I have seen Tristan in a creamsicle cardigan. Hmmm...

At my age, I can easily see DM as SU HC for the rest of my life.

It's a $2 million pay raise so anything is possible. The fact that his wife the former Helen Donnelly, is a native of Murfreesboro, Tenn does hurt. Also his father-in-law is Boots Donnelly, the athletic director and former head coach at Middle Tennessee State.

I do not think Doug is going anywhere but $2 million is a lot of money for anyone to walk away from if an offer came his way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom