Would Marrone leave for Tennessee? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would Marrone leave for Tennessee?

Or he could make the mistake that Rich Rod made and be out on his ass in 3 years at Tennessee.

I think we already know what Marrone thinks of Syracuse and SU.. no?

Yes we do but the perception throughout the country and what it says to recruits would add to that. Put your money where your mouth is so to speak.

As this is his contract year, I certainly see Doug "entertaining offers" from suitors. But I don't anticipate him leaving.

However, the longer SU waits to give him an extension, the more time this "seed" has to grow in his head. And you can bet the longer they wait, the more expensive it will become.

My advice to SU is to tie up this coaching staff as quickly as possible.

As this is his contract year, I certainly see Doug "entertaining offers" from suitors. But I don't anticipate him leaving.

However, the longer SU waits to give him an extension, the more time this "seed" has to grow in his head. And you can bet the longer they wait, the more expensive it will become.

My advice to SU is to tie up this coaching staff as quickly as possible.

His contract year is next year, this is year four out of 5. An extension is now imminent with a significant raise.

Or he could make the mistake that Rich Rod made and be out on his ass in 3 years at Tennessee.

I think we already know what Marrone thinks of Syracuse and SU.. no?
This would be a strong possible scenario. The fans here want a big name candidate, and the negative response to a Marrone hire would hurt him in recruiting right off the bat. If he didn't win in the SEC and show he could beat UT rivals, Florida and Alabama, within 2-3 years, the fans would get restless and it would snowball from there. Attendance would drop just as it just did under Dooley and Fulmer, and boosters wouldn't wait for it to stay down before making a change. They start seeing only 60,000 to 80,000 in the seats and they aren't happy.

I'm surprised JB didn't take the Kentucky job before paypal Cal. After all, he would've been paid more and his wife is from Kentucky.

There is a little bit of a difference...

This would be a strong possible scenario. The fans here want a big name candidate, and the negative response to a Marrone hire would hurt him in recruiting right off the bat. If he didn't win in the SEC and show he could beat UT rivals, Florida and Alabama, within 2-3 years, the fans would get restless and it would snowball from there. Attendance would drop just as it just did under Dooley and Fulmer, and boosters wouldn't wait for it to stay down before making a change. They start seeing only 60,000 to 80,000 in the seats and they aren't happy.

RR was fought by alum the second he was selected and quite possibly Marrone would as well but RR had no ties to Michigan while Marrone has some pretty good ties with UT. And let's also add Marrone would NEVER be stupid enough to hire Robinson (or the like) as his defensive coordinator.

DM has done a good job rebuilding the program here, but nothing earth-shattering. He still has way more to prove before big programs come knocking at his door. UT is willing to shell out alot of money and will get a big name coach. Book it.

There is a large degree of risk involved in leaving SU for an SEC gig.

The expectations are far greater at this juncture in Tennessee than here at Syracuse. What happens if Doug goes down there & experiences the same results as the last coach in the first few years? he would be jobless, & pining for better days in the Salt City...

I dont know if Tennessee would consider him since he really hasn't had a breakout year here - if SU went 10-2 this year when we were predicted to be next to last in conference, no doubt Tennessee would have come knocking.

I do think Marrone would be considered at least. I think it makes sense for him to at least consider interviewing for the Tennessee job. But it also depends upon the money - TGD needs to sit down and provide him a good incentive to stay too. He is a family man and you have to look out for your family first.

I dont know if Tennessee would consider him since he really hasn't had a breakout year here - if SU went 10-2 this year when we were predicted to be next to last in conference, no doubt Tennessee would have come knocking.

I do think Marrone would be considered at least. I think it makes sense for him to at least consider interviewing for the Tennessee job. But it also depends upon the money - TGD needs to sit down and provide him a good incentive to stay too. He is a family man and you have to look out for your family first.

If Tennessee does their homework they will see that SU came pretty close to being 10-2 and would have a very good football coach. If the ACC does indeed become a mess it won't help us keep any coach here unless he is like Boeheim and hopefully Marrone is that but I agree 100%, he has to do what is best for his family.

Job satisfactin is something I'm happy that both my sons are benefitting from. I told them that what they chose to do was important that the loved doing it. You don't go-to work if you love your job.Doug stays in Syracuse.:)

Job satisfactin is something I'm happy that both my sons are benefitting from. I told them that what they chose to do was important that the loved doing it. You don't go-to work if you love your job.Doug stays in Syracuse.:)

are you sure he is that happy with his job though? or do want him to be happy with his job.

i've heard he has been very parnoid at times thinking we were going to fire him
i've heard he realized the job is harder than he originally thought
he cant be happy with the fans reaction to him
he cant be happy with the attendance
is he that happy with gross?
is he that sure the facilities are being upgraded anytime soon?

I'm not saying he is leaving, I am not even saying he is unhappy here. I just don't think we can say he LOVES his job right now. It's easy to paint a rosy picture after the last 5 games... not so easy after the 1st 6 games.

The pizza sucked in Nashville...ain't no new york pizza even though the guy swore to me it was. As for Bologna, that I do not know.

RR was fought by alum the second he was selected and quite possibly Marrone would as well but RR had no ties to Michigan while Marrone has some pretty good ties with UT. And let's also add Marrone would NEVER be stupid enough to hire Robinson (or the like) as his defensive coordinator.
My comment in regards to RR was mostly comparing how he left a stable situation for a job with much higher expectations and Marrone would be doing the same. His ties to UT really aren't all that strong. He only coached here for one year and it was as a position coach with TE and OT. His other job within the SEC was also for only one year. UT fans would give little to no credence for time spent at Georgia Tech. The fanbase would be in an uproar if UT hired him. They would say he's Dooley all over again. He has a losing record over the last four years (or a .500 record depending how our last two games go) and has been coaching in a bad conference (that's what they would say). "If he can't have a winning record in the Big East, how's he gonna win in the SEC," would be all you would hear. All you hear on the radio down here now is that UT needs to hire a "proven winner" and they feel like they DESERVE John Gruden, Bob Stoopes, or someone of that stature. His job would be in jeopardy the minute he stepped on campus unless he managed a winning record in the SEC and/or upset Alabama or Florida within the first year or two.

Good points and I agree with the UT perception among the fans and probably the alum as well.

The pizza sucked in Nashville...ain't no new york pizza even though the guy swore to me it was. As for Bologna, that I do not know.
Actually in Knoxville there's a great place called 'Roman's'. The owner is an italian form NYC. I get pizza from there a lot. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom