Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title?

Massively? No. As much as everyone else whose successful? Yes
IMO, there's not a school out there that hasn't now, or in the past, "cheated" as its defined by the depraved NCAA. The hypocrisy is amazing.
I'd prefer not to for my own moral reasons, but I'm not so naive to think we'll ever win a NC without bending some rules.
At one time or another ALL the current "big boys" have had to cheat to get to where they are now.
Today we're seeing the finished products at Duke, UK, UCLA, Alabama in football, etc.
Nowadays they're so successful that they no longer have to cheat- the recruits wanna play for them and fall all over themselves to go there.
But the fact remains, cheating if its done the right way and to the right degree, is almost a prerequisite for a successful program. JMHO

SMU's problem wasn't that they cheated, it's that when they got caught they continued to.

Moved on from NASA, but we cheated on a moon landing and you're none the wiser.

Cheated on a moon landing? Interesting

The answer is for the P-5 conferences to break away from the NCAA and its nonsensical rules and investigations and form another organization. Pay the revenue-producing athletes and tell the G-5 to pound sand. Those folks who say that it can't be done because of March Madness, look at who most of the (non-automatic) selections are and you will see that most are from P-5 schools anyway.
Oh, boy. I think that if that actually happened SU would be relegated to the second tier pretty quickly. The fact that a private, eastern school can still rub shoulders with the football factories is because of the regulation that the NCAA provides.

Agreed, but at some point the beaurocracy then exists to merely feed itself. Having socks pulled high or a shirt tucked in is not a rule to forfeit games over. Paying a player's father $250K jCam Newton/Auburn) is (see USC and Reggie Bush' father). Even if the NCAA was consistent, it would makes sense.

See SU penalty for self reporting and compare UNC's for outright fraud for decades!
Where are the socks pulled up and shirts tucked in rules? Those are game rules, not recruiting or extra benefit rules. I think it's the rules about summer jobs, having recruits to your personal residence, how much you're allowed to pay for a meal, etc. that have been seen as frivolous. And they all exist because somebody abused the preceding rule.

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

I think athletes deserve some money. So I wouldnt worry about paying recruits.

No, because I'd know, FOREVER, that it wasn't legitimate.

It's like saying you squatted 650 lbs, knowing full well that you didn't get anywhere close to parallel.

Most Cuse fans believe we won the 1990 lax title
The bball investigation just so happened to start just months after the 03 title. I dont think anyone would believe that was not legit.
i distinctly remember the 2012 season and hell I STILL wish that we just played Fabricio in the tourney.

It's funny you mention this, we just had Todd Lickliter (former Butler and Iowa coach and a great guy) speaker at our lunch meeting today and the question came up about program integrity, recruits, etc.

Bottom line is some programs do it the wrong way and some absolutely will not...I think its pretty obvious who's where...in the back of my mind if we won a National Championship like that it would always have an * next to it...

At the end of the day I would rather do it the right way

That's interesting about Lickliter. Most Iowa fans consider him the basketball version of Greg Robinson.

No. Either you stand for something, or you don't.

That's how I feel. I'm not naive enough to think programs can be completely clean with all the rules. But I want no part of being in the wild, wild west where you just totally ignore the rule book.

Where are the socks pulled up and shirts tucked in rules? Those are game rules, not recruiting or extra benefit rules. I think it's the rules about summer jobs, having recruits to your personal residence, how much you're allowed to pay for a meal, etc. that have been seen as frivolous. And they all exist because somebody abused the preceding rule.

It's called hyperbole. Regardless, when a mistake occurs, it can be cured with minimal penalties. Overt cheating is being completely ignored by the NCAA personnel in place now. Get rid of the scum NCAA personnel and replace with ethical personnel and things will change.

However, therein lies the crux of the matter, SEC schools will NOT want to replace the scum as they couldn't buy better allies, nor could UNC.

Simply withdrawing from the NCAA and forming a new league will not guarantee ethical personnel in positions of investigation and enforcement.

Most Cuse fans believe we won the 1990 lax title
The bball investigation just so happened to start just months after the 03 title. I dont think anyone would believe that was not legit.
i distinctly remember the 2012 season and hell I STILL wish that we just played Fabricio in the tourney.

None of those are examples of "massively" cheating.

Edit: Also, the person you responded to didn't say that he wouldn't do it because other people wouldn't consider it to be legitimate. He said that HE wouldn't consider it to be legitimate.

Last edited:
No - it's just not worth it. The cheating would need to be extensive to be successful. It's not good for the school and it would eventually bite. I would be happy with a 9-5 year and nobody getting arrested.

in some circles cheating is treated more favorably - I use to call car racing "organized cheating". The whole challenge is to not get caught - like SEC football.

SMU's problem wasn't that they cheated, it's that when they got caught they continued to.

Moved on from NASA, but we cheated on a moon landing and you're none the wiser.
I was never sure if my father was kidding when he said that the moon landing was really happening in the desert. I know some people really believe that.

Obviously I’d prefer SU not be aggressively scummy.

That being said, I think some of you are really naive. We have a lot of skeletons in our closet. Judge on a sliding scale if you want, but those taking an absolutist moral stand would be very surprised at what’s gone on over the years.

The sport needs:

- More parity
- Fair pay for players (at least allow them to make x amount from their likeness)
- A regulator with teeth to enforce the rules and catch cheating (no matter if it's SEC or a "lowly" NE team)

For a sport to be interesting you need everyone to be playing by the rules. Just sit down with your 8 year old and tell him if he cheats you get to, too. It becomes horrible, rather quickly.

The school shouldn't take an absolutist stand against cheating. Winning brings in money, and it advertises the school in a way that spills over into academics. Either through PR, or through being able to attract better students, winning typically leads to a better academic reputation for the school.

I think that it's an immoral disservice to students, alumni, and arguably fans to not cheat at the level that maximizes the chances of winning.

The above said, I also firmly believe that the NCAA should create a system where the above isn't true. Virtually everyone would benefit. However, it hasn't happened yet. The NCAA has repeatedly dropped the ball.

That's interesting about Lickliter. Most Iowa fans consider him the basketball version of Greg Robinson.

ouch...thats a low blow.....his tenure at Iowa was bad for sure...he's currently employed by his former assistant (Brad Stevens) and is now a Midwest scout for the Boston Celtics.