Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title?

I was never sure if my father was kidding when he said that the moon landing was really happening in the desert. I know some people really believe that.
Did NASA cheat on the O rings?

Did NASA cheat on the O rings?

If you think that's the only dice NASA rolled with on the Shuttle system, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you. Did you know it was actually designed to fail 1 out of 100 times? (and it did 2 out of 135, which is pretty damn close) Why not 1 out of 1000, or 1 out of 1 million? Because you can and need to put a price on human life, and because if you don't take some risk, then you'll never launch a thing and go anywhere. Sucks? Sure, but true.

If SU wants to play major college football, it needs to take risks. If not, let's go play FCS. If NASA wants to go to Mars, you bet your ass its going to have to look the other way on some things.

Challenger was 100% avoidable in hindsight. No doubt about it, the warning signs were there. But so were a lot of times that it didn't fail that risk was taken. You just only hear about the failures. Did you know that NASA launched, outside of flight rules, knowing the o-ring issue on multiple previous flights?

But I do love hyperbole.

If you think that's the only dice NASA rolled with on the Shuttle system, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you. Did you know it was actually designed to fail 1 out of 100 times? (and it did 2 out of 135, which is pretty damn close) Why not 1 out of 1000, or 1 out of 1 million? Because you can and need to put a price on human life, and because if you don't take some risk, then you'll never launch a thing and go anywhere. Sucks? Sure, but true.

If SU wants to play major college football, it needs to take risks. If not, let's go play FCS. If NASA wants to go to Mars, you bet your ass its going to have to look the other way on some things.

Challenger was 100% avoidable in hindsight. No doubt about it, the warning signs were there. But so were a lot of times that it didn't fail that risk was taken. You just only hear about the failures. Did you know that NASA launched, outside of flight rules, knowing the o-ring issue on multiple previous flights?

But I do love hyperbole.

Totally aware, as I work about 2 miles from MSFC, and have several friends who worked on the shuttle project. Still horse crap.

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

All this talk reminds me of the Winston Churchill story where Mr Churchill asks Lady Astor if she would sleep with him for a million Pounds. She thinks about it and replies that she would. Churchill then asks if she would sleep with him for five pounds. Indignant, Lady Astor says “No” “What do you think I am?“
Churchill replies “We have already established that we are just negotiating price”

Last edited:
I would rather believe we are the only school playing clean (or just cheating a little) and every one is obviously cheating much more.

All this talk reminds me of the Winston Churchill story where Mr Churchill asks Lady Astor if she would sleep with him for a million Pounds. She thinks about and replied she would. Churchill then asks if she would sleep with him for five pounds. Indignant, Lady Astor says “No” “What do you think I am?“
Churchill replies “We have already established that we are just negotiating price”

So the question is, do you think SU cheats at all? And if so, does it matter how much? Whether 5 pounds or a million pounds, the question isn't will you.

But I do love hyperbole.

Decent articles relative to a corporation's climate in regards to risks/rolling the dice, they're willing to take...

Why Normalization of Deviance is Hurting Your Company | Process Street

Deepwater Horizon: Normalization of Deviance

Last edited:
All this talk reminds me of the Winston Churchill story where Mr Churchill asks Lady Astor if she would sleep with him for a million Pounds. She thinks about it and replies that she would. Churchill then asks if she would sleep with him for five pounds. Indignant, Lady Astor says “No” “What do you think I am?“
Don't think that was Churchill. The famous Lady Astor story was that in the dining room, having overhead Winston's intentionally loud conversation, she said, "If I was married to that man I would put poison in his tea." Churchill, overhearing her, responded, "if I was married to that women, I would drink it."

Don't think that was Churchill. The famous Lady Astor story was that in the dining room, having overhead Winston's intentionally loud conversation, she said, "If I was married to that man I would put poison in his tea." Churchill, overhearing her, responded, "if I was married to that women, I would drink it."

I have heard both stories

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.
I think it’s all dependent on the punishment. If it only results in probation for a couple years, I would question whether the rules were meant to be followed.

My position would therefore depend on the magnitude of the punishment:
- Probation for cheating hard enough to win a National Championship? All day, everyday!
- Death sentence? No chance!
- Something in the middle - Show cause for a few years for me, but school gets off easy? I’ll take one for the team guys! I’d be willing to make that sacrifice for you all!

All that said, I’m not sure that anything which doesn’t result in criminal charges will ever garner more than a slap on the hand. Paying players? Cam Newton found a workaround. Lavish gifts? Miami got off easy. Reducing the perceived quality of a alumni’s diploma? UNC says hi!

I have heard both stories
Missed one.
Lady Astor: "Winston Churchill, you are disgustingly drunk!"
Churchill:"My dear, you are ugly. Tommorow, I shall be sober, and you will still be ugly."

Last edited:
If it hasn't been posted yet...

Meet the Bag Man

Anyone who thinks the top teams aren't cheating has their head in the sand. If you want to win in CFB or CBB you have to cheat. Nobody that's really good is clean. Let's just admit that right now.

And THERE it is. I hate college sports.