Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title?

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

No, I wouldn't want to be the object of ridicule for it afterwards.

I could stand cheating "a little", that is, a "tasteful amount", in order to get some prime talent in here, though.

Every DI school is breaking an NCAA rule somewhere. Every. Single. One.

But not every school is cheating "SMU-style" (the consequences of which would be the death penalty) which was the hypothetical posed in the OP.

Last edited:
But not every school is cheating "SMU-style" (the consequences of which would be the death penalty) which was the hypothetical posed in the OP.

It’s impossible to know.

I do know that many, many schools would look the other way at just about anything to climb the mountain (Cough Baylor, Ped State).

The point is that the cop isn’t on the beat anymore. It’s the Wild West out there.

that is what makes it a tough question - their are so many layers of cheating. Where does everyone drraw the line? Tough question.

This thread is revealing and discouraging at the same time. Honor and integrity still have value in my family.

It’s wonderful that those values are in place in your family. I suspect they are for a lot of us.

Question though... are you an SU hoops fan? Are you aware of all the things that have gone on in our program, including letting domestic abusers on the court?

Though several schools cheat to win, the stigma remains forever. JoePa may still be worshipped in Happy Valley, but the fans are always tainted as cultists and scum.

When Alabama is finally exposed for the failure in life of the kids that never should have been allowed in (Academically) they will have to deal with the impact on their academic, moral, ethical, and other long term effects of cheating. UNC will be in the same boat, they make the SEC look like amateurs as they didn't require athlete's to pretend to be students.

Absolutely not true. You won't see a death penalty applied to a blue chip program.

Absolutely not true. You won't see a death penalty applied to a blue chip program.

Perhaps, but that's not a risk I would personally be willing to take.

Based our track record with the NCAA, they'd punish us after the ACC Championship game and we'd be banned from that postseason.

Based our track record with the NCAA, they'd punish us after the ACC Championship game and we'd be banned from that postseason.
10 years later that is...

Though several schools cheat to win, the stigma remains forever. JoePa may still be worshipped in Happy Valley, but the fans are always tainted as cultists and scum.

When Alabama is finally exposed for the failure in life of the kids that never should have been allowed in (Academically) they will have to deal with the impact on their academic, moral, ethical, and other long term effects of cheating. UNC will be in the same boat, they make the SEC look like amateurs as they didn't require athlete's to pretend to be students.
UNC has a +4B endowment and a USNWR ranking of 30.

They also have an athletic dept. w/ +$90 MM in revenue + a massive athletic endowment.

I'm pretty sure they'll happily take their NC's and live w/ the "stigma."

It's sad that the system is what it is. But the NCAA has failed/is failing miserably. You'd be crazy not to cheat.

[PSU is another story. Nothing is worth destroying those lives.]

Yup. Unlevel playing field. College sports are stupid. Might as well.

This thread is revealing and discouraging at the same time. Honor and integrity still have value in my family.
That's noble it really is and insofar as ones daily interactions within the confines of ones friends and family in that environment not only is it noble but it is necessary for the continued existence of a good stable society both intrafamily and beyond.

But out in the "cold hard world" of the high level of the sporting world and some work and business places in this country the motto of "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying" hard enough to bring better fortunes for you and your family has some validity to it, that is if one wants some higher levels of successes in these ventures depending on how those successes are defined.

This after ones been around long enough to see how too many get screwed in the golden rule of life where "he who has the gold rules". Makes the rules and takes advantage of unfair advantages and circumstances. Essentially the elite keeping themselves elite at the expense of some of those with less circumstantial advantages.

When one gets old enough to see it happen again and again and again it jaundices one somewhat to no longer deal in absolutes, to know that yes one needs err on the side of good moral behavior practicing the other golden rule as much is possible in ones personal sphere, and beyond whenever possible, to keep doing the right thing as a general course of action for the good of themselves, their family and by extension society.

But in this discussion here if your not playing the game the way it's played by others in ones sporting and in some business spheres then your putting yourself at an unfair competetive disadvantage if success at the highest level is desired and you're not playing the game the way so many others are.

Now some hard working intelligent souls negotiate this unfair playing field and do not compromise and do indeed achieve some good modicum of desired levels of success and God bless them, but if ones seeing others get unfair advantages on an unequal unfair playing field, while obviously and in some cases blatantly cheating (NC ahem), many times getting away with it (whatever is defined as cheating), it lessens the threshold for me to care as much if our program(s) do the same to a similar degree, but never to the insane level where lives are harmed such as with PSU.

Its certainly not an attractive reality, all of this, but it is reality at this level of sport.

Last edited:
UNC has a +4B endowment and a USNWR ranking of 30.

They also have an athletic dept. w/ +$90 MM in revenue + a massive athletic endowment.

I'm pretty sure they'll happily take their NC's and live w/ the "stigma."

It's sad that the system is what it is. But the NCAA has failed/is failing miserably. You'd be crazy not to cheat.

[PSU is another story. Nothing is worth destroying those lives.]
The issue is that the NCAA will not do their job. There are people that have zero ethics running an organization designed to enforce ethics. Put ethical leadership in the NCAA and the rule enforcement would at least be equal.

As things are now, it will not be long before a Senator or Congressman raises the issue of regulating the NCAA as a monopoly and/or a Black Sox type investigation/result occurs.

I know people from UT, OU, TAMU, LSU and other schools who as we do, that there is massive cheating and the NCAA is looking the other way. That while Baylor looks like they will suffer some punishment, Auburn, Bama, PSU - the one instance that seems almost universally intolerable - UNC, Kentucky and others are simply getting away with far too much cheating.

Banning coaches works, see the Vest. The death penalty works, though it is unlikely to be used against a P5 school unless there is a very principled person is at there is of the NCAA. Forcing forfeits works. Eliminating coaches records and players stats works.

Imagine the level of cheating in the NCAA occurring in any professional sport. The sport would be destroyed. It may be able destroying a couple brands, even if only for a year or two, to send a message to clean house before the NCAA does. Of course, this assumes credible leadership, not who the NCAA has in it's employ now.

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

Nick Nolte in Blue Chips nailed it 25 years ago. “This ain’t about education. This ain’t much about winning and it sure as hell ain’t much about football(basketball)! It’s about MONEY! Just G-_DAMN MONEY!”

This BS thread REALLY has 4 pages???? You should all be ashamed. WTH.

It’s wonderful that those values are in place in your family. I suspect they are for a lot of us.

Question though... are you an SU hoops fan? Are you aware of all the things that have gone on in our program, including letting domestic abusers on the court?

Being a fan of anything doesn't require me to accept everything about it part and parcel as being ok. I can still differentiate and disapprove of facets I find distasteful without dispatching the entire basket of fruit.

Alabama did paid for a condo for a former kickers parents and yes I do know them and still see them once in a while

Is it okay to cheat on your wife/SO?

It’s a rush and you feel great but you get caught and you’re screwed