Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would you be willing to massively cheat for a national title?

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

I’d bet every Champ from the past already are

On the other hand, it might help recruiting - but only in the near term. After you get caught you wind up like SMU.

Last edited:
The answer is for the P-5 conferences to break away from the NCAA and its nonsensical rules and investigations and form another organization. Pay the revenue-producing athletes and tell the G-5 to pound sand. Those folks who say that it can't be done because of March Madness, look at who most of the (non-automatic) selections are and you will see that most are from P-5 schools anyway.

th

No, because I'd know, FOREVER, that it wasn't legitimate.

It's like saying you squatted 650 lbs, knowing full well that you didn't get anywhere close to parallel.

So Alabama's titles aren't legit? They've employed dirty practices to get top tier talent.

I'll cheat. Who cares if it isn't "legit", people saw you win.

I'm talking like SMU-style paying recruits. In this hypothetical situation, nothing can ever be proven but we get a slap on the wrist of probation for a couple years for the violations that are found.

Count me in.

UNC agrees with this 1000%.

And they didn't even get the slap on the wrist. :rolleyes:

See also: Auburn & Cam Newton

We do stupid little nonsense stuff, and get crucified for it.
GO BIG, OR GO HOME.

The answer is for the P-5 conferences to break away from the NCAA and its nonsensical rules and investigations and form another organization. Pay the revenue-producing athletes and tell the G-5 to pound sand. Those folks who say that it can't be done because of March Madness, look at who most of the (non-automatic) selections are and you will see that most are from P-5 schools anyway.

While I agree with your sentiment, the cold fact is that if the P5 break away, you limit the pool of contenders by half in football and by 80% in hoops. The second tier schools are the cannon fodder for the P5. By limiting the pool of fodder, you force many P5 teams into Rutger's role and force several top teams into the middle leaving only the richest teams to actually have a shot at the title.

Getting rid of the NCAA petty rules that only allow them to abuse private and small state schools and forcing good character people who will investigate AND punish the big state schools equally into the NCAA offices is a good solution.

While the petty rules are a joke and a violation should not take away a championship, gross violations should be punished. Auburn should forfeit their entire Cam Newton season and title. The NCAA should have enforced it. Getting rid of pansy scum in the NCAA is the best way to effect change. Enforce rules equally and get rid of nonsense rules.

Count me in.
Would you do it a NASA?

While I agree with your sentiment, the cold fact is that if the P5 break away, you limit the pool of contenders by half in football and by 80% in hoops. The second tier schools are the cannon fodder for the P5. By limiting the pool of fodder, you force many P5 teams into Rutger's role and force several top teams into the middle leaving only the richest teams to actually have a shot at the title.

Getting rid of the NCAA petty rules that only allow them to abuse private and small state schools and forcing good character people who will investigate AND punish the big state schools equally into the NCAA offices is a good solution.
The petty rules exist only because people try to find loopholes. Then the NCAA tries to close the loooholes to maintain some semblance of fairness. I bet it you look at every petty rule, you could find a loophole that was being exploited before the rule's existence.

On the other hand, it might help recruiting - but only in the near term. After you get caught you wind up like SMU.

SMU's problem wasn't that they cheated, it's that when they got caught they continued to.

Would you do it a NASA?

Moved on from NASA, but we cheated on a moon landing and you're none the wiser.

How’d it work out for Slick Rick? ;)

This.
louisville-cardinals-head-coach-rick-pitino-holds-up-the-championship-trophy-with-his-team-after-defeating-the-michigan-wolverines-in-their-ncaa-mens-final-four-championship-basketball-game-in-atlanta-georgia-april-8-2013.jpg

And he's worth $45 million.
Title stripped (yes, pun intended) and will (likely) never coach in the tournament again.

Count me in.

It's funny you mention this, we just had Todd Lickliter (former Butler and Iowa coach and a great guy) speaker at our lunch meeting today and the question came up about program integrity, recruits, etc.

Bottom line is some programs do it the wrong way and some absolutely will not...I think its pretty obvious who's where...in the back of my mind if we won a National Championship like that it would always have an * next to it......

At the end of the day I would rather do it the right way

The petty rules exist only because people try to find loopholes. Then the NCAA tries to close the loooholes to maintain some semblance of fairness. I bet it you look at every petty rule, you could find a loophole that was being exploited before the rule's existence.

Agreed, but at some point the beaurocracy then exists to merely feed itself. Having socks pulled high or a shirt tucked in is not a rule to forfeit games over. Paying a player's father $250K jCam Newton/Auburn) is (see USC and Reggie Bush' father). Even if the NCAA was consistent, it would makes sense.

See SU penalty for self reporting and compare UNC's for outright fraud for decades!

Everyday I get closer to being done with college sports. I'm already pretty apathetic about pro sports. Maybe I'll free up a bunch of free time in the future.

Same boat. Used to be a huge sports fan but it's eroded year by year. If I didn't follow SU football I probably wouldn't pay attention to much at this point. ESPN and their nonsense had a lot to do with it.