Would | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would

Ben, Maloney, Mac...1/8 was an alum.
I also included “current staff members” and P was on Mac’s staff.

And basketball and lacrosse are 100%.

Name another school where all of the BB assistants are alumni.

That’s unique to SU and it doesn't happen by accident.

The next Syracuse coach is either Hopkins, Autry or McNamara.

I’ll take that bet, Nick.

$44 sound good to you?

You take the current staff + Hopkins (I threw in Griff for free ;) )

I’ll take the field.

JW is a savvy businessman, and while there’s a chance the next coach comes from your pool, he’d be insane if he didn’t conduct a full national search first.

In last 50 years: Lacrosse: 100% SU alums

Basketball: replaced Danforth (100% SU alums) current all alumni assistants.

Football: Marrone was an alum and Paqualoni was a current staff member. (40% since Mac)

Seems like a pretty heavy bias to me. Certainly heavier than most places.

lol. One basketball coach. One football coach. Lmao at 40%. You’re not even pretending to be straight up.

Nobody really cares about lacrosse. That’s a small time sport where you can afford to just pass the job to your cronies.

I’ll take that bet, Nick.

$44 sound good to you?

You take the current staff + Hopkins (I threw in Griff for free ;) )

I’ll take the field.

JW is a savvy businessman, and while there’s a chance the next coach comes from your pool, he’d be insane if he didn’t conduct a full national search first.

Oh, they’ll do that as a matter of form.

They’ll see who surfaces. But if they can’t surface a superior pick that everyone on campus agrees to, the “insiders” will start looking better and better.

lol. One basketball coach. One football coach. Lmao at 40%. You’re not even pretending to be straight up.

Nobody really cares about lacrosse. That’s a small time sport where you can afford to just pass the job to your cronies.
No body cares about lacrosse. Does that include the 10,000 that show up for SU games?

You mean you don’t care about lacrosse.

I also included “current staff members” and P was on Mac’s staff.

And basketball and lacrosse are 100%.

Name another school where all of the BB assistants are alumni.

That’s unique to SU and it doesn't happen by accident.

Then Shafer would count, too. And throw Wildhack in for good measure.

And with respect to another school with all coaches as alumni, I believe that to be a bug, not a feature.

You’ve made the excellent point that continued success is not guaranteed after JB. I think the best way to continue that is get someone who has had success at a high level. I suspect you’re correct though, and we’ll do the easy thing first.

No body cares about lacrosse. Does that include the 10,000 that show up for SU games?

Like most of the rest of the country, I’ll see lacrosse on TV when channel surfing on Memorial Day.

But back to more important matters...1 of the last 8 SU football coaches is an alum. 40%. 50 years is the time frame...but let’s start at Coach P for this one. And let’s throw in an alum AND staff member caveat while also talking about how people didn’t really accept him because he wasn’t an alum.

You’re all over the place today, townie.

Then Shafer would count, too. And throw Wildhack in for good measure.

And with respect to another school with all coaches as alumni, I believe that to be a bug, not a feature.

You’ve made the excellent point that continued success is not guaranteed after JB. I think the best way to continue that is get someone who has had success at a high level. I suspect you’re correct though, and we’ll do the easy thing first.

100% Alumni staff - It might be a “bug” or a “feature” That’s debatable. But it is a fact!

I’ve watched a few of these coaching searches with interest. They almost always start off the same way with suggestions from the uninvolved fan base as to who their choices would be. Then there’s the search. Then the interviews of candidates, some of whom are interested and some of whom are leveraging their current situation. Members of the fans wish list might not even interview for a number of reasons including:

I’m happy where I am.

I’m concerned there’s a mismatch between what’s expected and what’s reasonable there.

They aren’t guaranteeing me what I want (salary, budget, facilities, etc.)

Boeheim’s input will be critical here. He may be torn between tremendous loyalty and affection for the “insiders” and who he thinks might have the best chance of being successful here.

Lacrosse isn’t comparable because CNY used to be one of the biggest hotbeds for the sport.

The last two DI champs are coached by guys who grew up playing in Section III.

Simmons JR, Desko (and most of the assistants in that program) are local guys so being an alumnus probably contributed as much as being from the area.

Like most of the rest of the country, I’ll see lacrosse on TV when channel surfing on Memorial Day.

But back to more important matters...1 of the last 8 SU football coaches is an alum. 40%. 50 years is the time frame...but let’s start at Coach P for this one. And let’s throw in an alum AND staff member caveat while also talking about how people didn’t really accept him because he wasn’t an alum.

You’re all over the place today, townie.

Well, football is the weakest case. But basketball and lacrosse aren’t. And your lack of interest in lacrosse is just that. your opinion. Lacrosse is hugely popular and/or growing in the areas and high schools SU gets a huge proportion of its students from.

Nobody knows what is going to happen. I’m just trying to add some flesh to this idea I have from watching SU for 50 years that more than any school I can think of there’s an institutional bias towards hiring alums or current staff members.

I suspect you and others are arguing this pretty obvious point because you don’t like the implications of it on who SU picks to replace Boeheim. You don’t like what it says, so it must be wrong.

Well, football is the weakest case. But basketball and lacrosse aren’t. And your lack of interest in lacrosse is just that. your opinion. Lacrosse is hugely popular and/or growing in the areas and high schools SU gets a huge proportion of its students from.

Nobody knows what is going to happen. I’m just trying to add some flesh to this idea I have from watching SU for 50 years that more than any school I can think of there’s an institutional bias towards hiring alums or current staff members.

I suspect you and others are arguing this pretty obvious point because you don’t like the implications of it on who SU picks to replace Boeheim. You don’t like what it says, so it must be wrong.

I mean...it’s literally one basketball coach and regime we’re talking about here. The narrative that “we always hire alums” is a weak one.

I really don’t care what they do, as long as the program succeeds and we don’t hire some dork like Danny Hurley. This has nothing to do with what I want. Just challenging your all over the map takes and spin you’re putting on this.

Lacrosse isn’t comparable because CNY used to be one of the biggest hotbeds for the sport.

The last two DI champs are coached by guys who grew up playing in Section III.

Simmons JR, Desko (and most of the assistants in that program) are local guys so being an alumnus probably contributed as much as being from the area.
They still play lacrosse in CNY. And Long Island and Baltimore were historic hot beds.

But now there are other “hot beds” including Northern New Jersey, the Philly burbs, DC and Northern Virginia and parts of Ohio.

Where does SU get its students from?

Who cares if lacrosse is popular in the Deep South or Idaho. SU gets a huge chunk of its students from the areas where lacrosse is gaining in popularity

100% Alumni staff - It might be a “bug” or a “feature” That’s debatable. But it is a fact!

I’ve watched a few of these coaching searches with interest. They almost always start off the same way with suggestions from the uninvolved fan base as to who their choices would be. Then there’s the search. Then the interviews of candidates, some of whom are interested and some of whom are leveraging their current situation. Members of the fans wish list might not even interview for a number of reasons including:

I’m happy where I am.

I’m concerned there’s a mismatch between what’s expected and what’s reasonable there.

They aren’t guaranteeing me what I want (salary, budget, facilities, etc.)

Boeheim’s input will be critical here. He may be torn between tremendous loyalty and affection for the “insiders” and who he thinks might have the best chance of being successful here.

The coaching search you watch is what’s played out on message boards. I really don’t think fan wish lists should be taken seriously, other than as something to discuss on a discussion board. But still, you might remember that there was a Dino Babers thread on this board early in the 2015 season. Sometimes those wishes come true.

Louisville managed to get Chris Mack when they were in the thick of controversy. The only name school I’ve seen embarrass themselves in their search recently is UCLA, and even they were able to get a successful AAC coach to come there. I wouldn’t want Cronin for us, but they got a name. Look on UW message boards and see the posts asking why we would Hop when we can get anyone we want. The only people in the college basketball world who look down on Syracuse’s place in that world are Syracuse fans.

They still play lacrosse in CNY. And Long Island and Baltimore were historic hot beds.

But now there are other “hot beds” including Northern New Jersey, the Philly burbs, DC and Northern Virginia and parts of Ohio.

Where does SU get its students from?

Who cares if lacrosse is popular in the Deep South or Idaho. SU gets a huge chunk of its students from the areas where lacrosse is gaining in popularity

SU just hired Pat March (not an alum) to be their offensive coordinator for lacrosse.

They could’ve hired any number of prominent alumni coaching the game.

They didn’t.

I mean...it’s literally one basketball coach and regime we’re talking about here. The narrative that “we always hire alums” is a weak one.

I really don’t care what they do, as long as the program succeeds and we don’t hire some dork like Danny Hurley. This has nothing to do with what I want. Just challenging your all over the map takes and spin you’re putting on this.
It’s not “We always hire alums”. You are arguing against something I never said.

It’s that “SU frequently hires alums”.

Or even that “SU fills head coaching jobs with alumni or current staff members much more frequently than any school I can think of” Although, admittedly, there hasn’t been much turnover in HC jobs in two of the three major SU men’s sports.

It’s not “We always hire alums”. You are arguing against something I never said.

It’s that “SU frequently hires alums”.

Or even that “SU fills head coaching jobs with alumni or current staff members much more frequently than any school I can think of” Although, admittedly, there hasn’t been much turnover in HC jobs in two of the three major SU men’s sports.

The one with actual turnover, they rarely hire alums. 1 of the last 8.

The coaching search you watch is what’s played out on message boards. I really don’t think fan wish lists should be taken seriously, other than as something to discuss on a discussion board. But still, you might remember that there was a Dino Babers thread on this board early in the 2015 season. Sometimes those wishes come true.

Louisville managed to get Chris Mack when they were in the thick of controversy. The only name school I’ve seen embarrass themselves in their search recently is UCLA, and even they were able to get a successful AAC coach to come there. I wouldn’t want Cronin for us, but they got a name. Look on UW message boards and see the posts asking why we would Hop when we can get anyone we want. The only people in the college basketball world who look down on Syracuse’s place in that world are Syracuse fans.

As to SU fans assessment of the SU basketball program there’s a lot of internal inconsistency.

The same people who bemoan the loss of greatness and that we are now at best a “middle-of-the-pack” ACC school claim this is a “Top 5” or “Top 10” job.

Which is it?

The one with actual turnover, they rarely hire alums. 1 of the last 8.

And that sport with the large number on non-alums ...Hows that been doing in comparison to the other two?

As to SU fans assessment of the SU basketball program there’s a lot of internal inconsistency.

The same people who bemoan the loss of greatness and that we are now at best a “middle-of-the-pack” ACC school claim this is a “Top 5” or “Top 10” job.

Which is it?

The results and standings from the last 5 years determine that we’ve been middle of the pack, and ESPN says it’s a top 10 job.

And that sport with the large number on non-alums ...Hows that been doing in comparison to the other two?

Bad. Must be because we didn’t hire Randy Edsall. No other factors(like HS football in NY sucking) involved there at all.

Why would you want them to hire ‘outside the family’? Don’t you think there are enough qualified candidates with ties to the program and SU? I do.

Syracuse has a style of play and those that have learned from Boeheim are uniquely qualified to continue that. Tweak it, bring their own philosophy to it but continue the ‘Syracuse Style’.

In my opinion, the fact that we only hire SU people as assistants is a chronic weakness of ours.

Which is it?

We have the foundation of a top 10 job. We’re also clearly middle of the pack. That’s not mutually exclusive.

Butler’s coach ever think about coming here after JB? Anyone interested? Just curious

I just want a coach who will employ a system where we press and run up and down the court - all game long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom