Would | Syracusefan.com

Would

Or Wojo? I absolutely love JB, always have and always will. At some point it will end and thinking of people with experience. Either of these two peek anyone’s interest? Personally I think if Capel gets Pitt back at all he is the next coach at Duke, not Wojo. So...

I understand, but a young coach who has experience. Would be here a while! Just a thought

Marquette can’t close games, or show up in big games (outside of vs Villanova) to save their lives and they can’t defend a lick of anything outside of their center and one wing. How much this is on wojo? I dont know cus Markus howard goes cold in those games always it’s insane. Said last night I’ve never seen a player like him choke so much in important moments And games

Well, he has accomplished so much , how can it be anyone else?
It’s all about the story...”Former Orange starting QB becomes new Basketball head coach”. The rest of it are just details.

I think Hop would do a great job here, especially with recruiting. But if not Hop, then I see no reason why we can’t attract a Chris Mack type. Unless K retires at the same time, we’ll be the biggest opening of the year, by far.

The next Syracuse coach is either Hopkins, Autry or McNamara.

I would bet dollars it won’t be Autry or GMac.

Only plausible way I could envision that is JB pulling a “I’m done” during the season to stubbornly give it to his guy. And I don’t think he would do that, but...

I think Hop would do a great job here, especially with recruiting. But if not Hop, then I see no reason why we can’t attract a Chris Mack type. Unless K retires at the same time, we’ll be the biggest opening of the year, by far.

Why would you want them to hire ‘outside the family’? Don’t you think there are enough qualified candidates with ties to the program and SU? I do.

Syracuse has a style of play and those that have learned from Boeheim are uniquely qualified to continue that. Tweak it, bring their own philosophy to it but continue the ‘Syracuse Style’.

Why would you want them to hire ‘outside the family’? Don’t you think there are enough qualified candidates with ties to the program and SU? I do.

Syracuse has a style of play and those that have learned from Boeheim are uniquely qualified to continue that. Tweak it, bring their own philosophy to it but continue the ‘Syracuse Style’.

I want the best coach possible. I could not care less about where they went to school.

I want the best coach possible. I could not care less about where they went to school.

I understand that. I’m not saying hire one of those guys because they played here, I’m saying hire them because they learned from JB and coached with him.

I’d like to see continuity. Syracuse Basketball has a personality and it’s a good, successful one. It’s a brand basically and it works.

Only plausible way I could envision that is JB pulling a “I’m done” during the season to stubbornly give it to his guy. And I don’t think he would do that, but...

Autry will be a HC sooner rather that later.

I’d suggest you get favorable odds on that bet.

The history of the major SU sports at SU —- basketball, lacrosse and football —- suggest a pretty strong bias towards hiring those with SU ties.

Lacrosse - Simmons - Simmons - Desko
Football - P was on the staff (although a PSU alum) and was picked over alum Edsall, who was second choice. And we did have another SU grad in the string of coaches we have had since.
Basketball - Boeheim was an alum and the assistants since Bernie have very frequently been SU alums. It’s been a while since we have had an “outsider”. We are unique in CBB having an all-alumni staff.

Why this has happened to a greater degree than at other schools is hard to know. It may be that SU is such a unique environment that it takes an alum to understand it.

Pasqualoni’s being a Penn State alum didn’t help him. Some felt that the community never accepted him as they might have been expected to.

I’m not saying we would go outside to replace JB. But I do think there is a stronger institutional bias against hiring someone from outside the family than at other schools. And, that outsiders do seem to have shorter leashes when they get here.

Whether you like it or not, Red and GRob will be candidates because they are alums and because they represent minimum disruption to the program. Hop will be too, but he’s a long way from being a slam dunk.

Great, now Im picturing locals showing up at the gym during practice trying to tell the new coach that we do things a certain way around here, like the townies in Hoosiers giving Norman Dale a hard time early on.

The history of the major SU sports at SU —- basketball, lacrosse and football —- suggest a pretty strong bias towards hiring those with SU ties.

Football - P was on the staff (although a PSU alum) and was picked over alum Edsall, who was second choice. And we did have another SU grad in the string of coaches we have had since.
Basketball - Boeheim was an alum and the assistants since Bernie have very frequently been SU alums. It’s been a while since we have had an “outsider”. We are unique in CBB having an all-alumni staff.

Why this has happened to a greater degree than at other schools is hard to know. It may be that SU is such a unique environment that it takes an alum to understand it.

Pasqualoni’s being a Penn State alum didn’t help him. Some felt that the community never accepted him as they might have been expected to.

I’m not saying we would go outside to replace JB. But I do think there is a stronger institutional bias against hiring someone from outside the family than at other schools. And, that outsiders do seem to have shorter leashes when they get here.

Whether you like it or not, Red and GRob will be candidates because they are alums and because they represent minimum disruption to the program. Hop will be too, but he’s a long way from being a slam dunk.

Eh, there’s no precedent. Boeheim has been the coach forever.

Football hired Marrone...and Pasqualoni, Robinson, Shafer, and Babers. 1 out of the last 5.

Every other college sport is regional at best and doesn’t really matter.

I just want to keep the 2-3 zone after JB is gone. It’s a SU system and I like running it

Much different landscape when those guys were hired. If JB wins a second national championship he gets to handpick his replacement but otherwise the fanbase will demand the best man for the job. Hop says no we get someone completely new in. It’s the right move too.

Football hired Marrone...and Pasqualoni, Robinson, Shafer, and Babers. 1 out of the last 5.

Ben, Maloney, Mac...1/8 was an alum.

In last 50 years: Lacrosse: 100% SU alums

Basketball: replaced Danforth (100% SU alums) current all alumni assistants.

Football: Marrone was an alum and Paqualoni was a current staff member. (40% since Mac)

Seems like a pretty heavy bias to me. Certainly heavier than most places.

I’m begging you to edit your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom