Wow Dino | Syracusefan.com

Wow Dino

orangemass

All American
He is getting it. Just watched the pre Louisville conference. He understands that slowing down the offense is helping the defense. I’m on board. There is hope. He needs work on game management but his big picture viewpoints are impressive

He is getting it. Just watched the pre Louisville conference. He understands that slowing down the offense is helping the defense. I’m on board. There is hope. He needs work on game management but his big picture viewpoints are impressive
I mean that's cool and all but I'm hoping next year with what we have returning that we get back to playing faster.

We have a Dungey-esque emerging QB and a generational talent in Tucker. Pair then next year with Hough and Meng, an experienced line proficient in run blocking and i like the direction of this team. Lets play smashmouth football and dominate teams.

Last edited:
Our defense has been solid the past few years. Its just hard not to give up a lot of points when you’re on the field 75% of the game. Cuts down on owwies too

Good for Dino

2019 had some really rough defensive efforts, and they weren’t just late game breakdowns. But credit Dino for changing the style and finding not one but two qualified DCs to implement it.

We have a Dungey-esque emerging QB and a generational talent in Tucker. Pair then next year with Hough and Meng, an experienced line proficient in tun blocking and i like the direction of this team. Lets play smashmouth football and dominate teams.

We have some young WRs who look more talented than the older ones. Develop them and be able to run or pass.

Why?
Because... the offense still isn't performing great, and going faster could help us score more if we can keep defenses off balance. Might even open up the passing game.

We're a better football team than we've seen recently, but we're still looking at a .500 record being a win, and while being in a lot of close games shows we're competitive, being in a lot of close games also shows we're bumping up against a performance ceiling.

Going fast with 3 and outs is different then going fast getting first downs. The fast 3 and outs kills the defense. We haven’t moved the ball in 2 years. We couldn’t sustain a drive and the defense was lucky if they got more than 3 plays to rest in between series.

In 2018 ACC games we ran the most plays (by 20 over 2nd place). Our D that year faced the 5th most plays (10th place). Yet we were 7th in yards per game, 6th in yards per play, and 6th in points per game.

If your O is good, going fast on O doesn't have to put strain on the D.

In 2018 ACC games we ran the most plays (by 20 over 2nd place). Our D that year faced the 5th most plays (10th place). Yet we were 7th in yards per game, 6th in yards per play, and 6th in points per game.

If your O is good, going fast on O doesn't have to put strain on the D.
Going fast puts a strain on both Ds. Im glad Dino is playing to his teams strengths vs trying to fit them into his preferred scheme.

Now offense can't substitute w/o letting defense substitute. You no longer need to snap the ball fast, it's getting to the line fast and putting pressure on defense, Then call play based on how defense lined up

2019 had some really rough defensive efforts, and they weren’t just late game breakdowns. But credit Dino for changing the style and finding not one but two qualified DCs to implement it.
Believe it or not, according to FDC Ward, the offense (2019 edition) was supposed to be a run heavy version designed to protect the defense. For whatever reason, that plan never materialized.

Because... the offense still isn't performing great, and going faster could help us score more if we can keep defenses off balance. Might even open up the passing game.

We're a better football team than we've seen recently, but we're still looking at a .500 record being a win, and while being in a lot of close games shows we're competitive, being in a lot of close games also shows we're bumping up against a performance ceiling.
There’s two competing philosophies here:

1) Going fast helps keep the opposing defense off balance and limits substitutions, but it also limits the play calling as you have to minimize the playbook and leaves the defense susceptible to getting worn out if the offense doesn’t move the ball

My take: good against similar talent teams, disastrous against superior teams

2: Run the ball and shorten the game. This helps keep the play book larger since you have time to call plays and make adjustments, it helps to run down the clock and can give your defense a rest. The issues are that it is very hard to switch into high gear and play from behind, it leaves your RBs and linemen susceptible to injury and a shootout could be disastrous.

My take: Good against teams of superior talent if the goal is to keep it close but difficult to win. Good against teams of similar talent since your defense stays rested. Bad all around in shootouts.

I mean that's cool and all but I'm hoping next year with what we have returning that we get back to playing faster.
I am largely on your side here, too. All's it takes is one first down to give the defense a reasonable breather and chance to regroup/tweak on the sideline, ... easier said than done.
But the 3-and-outs are what kills a defense, let along a string of them.

There’s two competing philosophies here:

1) Going fast helps keep the opposing defense off balance and limits substitutions, but it also limits the play calling as you have to minimize the playbook and leaves the defense susceptible to getting worn out if the offense doesn’t move the ball

My take: good against similar talent teams, disastrous against superior teams

2: Run the ball and shorten the game. This helps keep the play book larger since you have time to call plays and make adjustments, it helps to run down the clock and can give your defense a rest. The issues are that it is very hard to switch into high gear and play from behind, it leaves your RBs and linemen susceptible to injury and a shootout could be disastrous.

My take: Good against teams of superior talent if the goal is to keep it close but difficult to win. Good against teams of similar talent since your defense stays rested. Bad all around in shootouts.
My quibble is that I wouldn't say going fast is disastrous against superior teams. Going fast started as a strategy by teams with limited talent to punch above their weight class. I think it's more accurately stated that going fast is VOLATILE against superior teams. Sometimes it gives you a puncher's chance. Sometimes it puts you in a hole.

We keep seeing these posts looking at the numbers and the conclusion people come to is our record should be better than it is. But it's not. One explanation could be that playing a style that keeps us close magnifies Dino's weaknesses - pressure decision making. Dino's head scratchers don't matter as much when we can build a decent lead or when we're getting blown out. Being in close games also means you have a low margin for error and can't make many mistakes. Looking at our punting and kicking alone... we're a bit prone to mistakes in that area this season.

I absolutely think given that we're leveraging a generational talent for our program in Tucker and turning the offensive reins over from whatever it was supposed to be with DeVito to what it's evolving into with Shrader, that what we're doing now is right for this season. I'm not convinced it's how we should be playing long term though and I hope we get back to playing faster at least in spots next season.

Also... it is a bit of a problem that it seems like it takes a really long time getting plays into Shrader. We need to clean that up even if it doesn't change anything about our pace.

My quibble is that I wouldn't say going fast is disastrous against superior teams. Going fast started as a strategy by teams with limited talent to punch above their weight class. I think it's more accurately stated that going fast is VOLATILE against superior teams. Sometimes it gives you a puncher's chance. Sometimes it puts you in a hole.

We keep seeing these posts looking at the numbers and the conclusion people come to is our record should be better than it is. But it's not. One explanation could be that playing a style that keeps us close magnifies Dino's weaknesses - pressure decision making. Dino's head scratchers don't matter as much when we can build a decent lead or when we're getting blown out. Being in close games also means you have a low margin for error and can't make many mistakes. Looking at our punting and kicking alone... we're a bit prone to mistakes in that area this season.

I absolutely think given that we're leveraging a generational talent for our program in Tucker and turning the offensive reins over from whatever it was supposed to be with DeVito to what it's evolving into with Shrader, that what we're doing now is right for this season. I'm not convinced it's how we should be playing long term though and I hope we get back to playing faster at least in spots next season.

Also... it is a bit of a problem that it seems like it takes a really long time getting plays into Shrader. We need to clean that up even if it doesn't change anything about our pace.
I know why the style was created, but it’s proven to be a short term gimmick that can be easily countered by adjustments. Running fast worked early on because it caught people off guard, but once you learned that teams only run a variation of the same 5-10 plays, it gets very easy to adjust your superior defense to counter a majority of those plays. That’s why 2019 was a mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom