Wow Dino | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wow Dino

As money has said - the current system is the same system Dino started with, minus the tempo. He’s always wanted to run the ball well and take shots down the field.

I think the tempo stuff relied on quick reads that once “the tells” were figured out and we couldn’t block - we stopped running.

We’ve had plenty of good WR. It’s the lack of OL development that has hindered Dino, IMO. That would be my focus, meathead or spread or whatever.
When you take away tempo, have a QB who runs well and is (at best) very ordinary as a passer, and use guys like Elmore and Mang as primary blockers, it sure doesn’t seem like the same offense Dino ran at E Illinois or BGSU. A lot of teams run the same formations, similar plays, but there is a wide variety in how they use the QB, the mix of passing vs running, use of TE, use of spread, use of 4 receivers and bubbles.

Maybe you need to explain what you mean by “system”.

When you take away tempo, have a QB who runs well and is (at best) very ordinary as a passer, and use guys like Elmore and Mang as primary blockers, it sure doesn’t seem like the same offense Dino ran at E Illinois or BGSU. A lot of teams run the same formations, similar plays, but there is a wide variety in how they use the QB, the mix of passing vs running, use of TE, use of spread, use of 4 receivers and bubbles.

Maybe you need to explain what you mean by “system”.
They are running a lot of the same outside/inside zone and gap plays they have ran before. You don’t think they were running this same stuff with Dungey? He had Mcpherson Elmore and Hackett as primary blockers on run plays as well. This years team is just running the ball a lot more with a slower tempo.

Last edited:
They are running a lot of the same outside/inside zone and gap plays they have ran before. You don’t think they were running this same stuff with Dungey? He had Mcpherson Elmore and Hackett as primary blockers on run plays as well. This years team is just running the ball a lot more with a slower tempo.
And they are passing a lot less than when Devito was the QB, or when Dino was at BGSU or E Illinois. But it is the same scheme because of “outside/inside zone and gap plays”?

If I am the DC for the defending teams, I would just say, oh, same offense? Line up the same, guys!

And they are passing a lot less than when Devito was the QB, or when Dino was at BGSU or E Illinois. But it is the same scheme because of “outside/inside zone and gap plays”?

If I am the DC for the defending teams, I would just say, oh, same offense? Line up the same, guys!
What does passing more or less have to do with the scheme? The plays are the same. Coaches dont abandon their scheme year to year. You wont ever be good at anything. They might choose to run certain plays more based on the personnel they have. Or base on what they do well. This years team run the ball really well but dont pass well. So they run more and pass less. Thats not changing schemes. Thats just doing something more than the other.

For example, The OC at Pittsburgh Mark Whipple is throwing the ball a lot this year because he has the QB and Wr's to do it. He is not running a new offense. He is utilizing the strength of his offense more.

Last edited:
I think the slower pace allows our guys to get set, to provide Tucker and Shrader an opportunity to catch their breath and to provide time for Shrader to look over the D.
Fast pace as an occasional change up is what i believe works best.

Because... the offense still isn't performing great, and going faster could help us score more if we can keep defenses off balance. Might even open up the passing game.

We're a better football team than we've seen recently, but we're still looking at a .500 record being a win, and while being in a lot of close games shows we're competitive, being in a lot of close games also shows we're bumping up against a performance ceiling.

The only time we should go fast is after a long gain. Get to the line of scrimmage, let them snap the ball, and GO! That's when to do it. Unsettled defense could allow either Shrader or Tucker the opportunity to rip a long one.

He is getting it. Just watched the pre Louisville conference. He understands that slowing down the offense is helping the defense. I’m on board. There is hope. He needs work on game management but his big picture viewpoints are impressive
Please grace Dino and us with more of your wisdom! Lol

Meathead is a term used by some to define a game style that involves short gains, ball control, and strong defense. Usually results in lower scoring games that have to be grinded out at the end. They use the term meathead due to it's smash mouth nature. You aren't necessarily trying to use fancy playbooks to scheme guys open, you just line up and knock the guy in front of you on their ass.
meatheads are smash mouth right until there is any chance to bring in a slow weak soccer player

Again, I point out that we were great under McNabb and Graves… while not playing meathead football. I’ll add under Don McPherson too. What we did have was dual option QBs. And as has been discussed here many times, a dual QB can compensate for overall squad talent.

I suggest, again, that we are not sentenced to meathead football to be successful. It’s one way. It’s the way we are playing right now. But we have proof that we can win without it.

This is it! Period!

We haven't won a few games this year because of traditional meathead football, three yards and a cloud of dust, or whatever the heck folks want to call it. We have won some of these games this year because we have a legit P5 level dual threat QB. It is precisely why we have fared our best when we have had McPherson, Graves, McNabb and Dungey. And, a large part in why we have struggled so much when we haven't had that type of dynamic QB.

Any scheme can be countered. Its all about how well you execute the plays. 2019 we just weren't good enough. It wasn't because of tempo. My only beef with tempo is that it puts a lot of strain on the defense. A lot of teams use 3 different types of tempo's for that reason.
Agree and high speed tempo is not an all or nothing approach. The staff can pick their moments to implement during the game. You can turn it on and off as needed or as you want.

tempo to the line and then see what happens.. force the D to be unprepared and then we decide to snap fast or not.. Can cooper/jackson be our Phillips so we can throw the 3-7 yd passes that act like runs? If we were able to do that a bit more the LBs would have to honor it more and then the run becomes better. We are the reverse, we pound the run and then try to throw off of it but we have a passer not that accurate and we drop too many. either way works but you need to be throwing more like 60-70% on those throws not 50%.

Dungey and Phillips had a trust that they would both read the slot the same and throw those passes.. Shrader right now is willing to throw the Slants but the option read throws are not part of the game yet.

Thats the missing piece to me to have the offense take the next step.

One thing JB does is press to speed up the game and cause turnovers. He seems to only do it when they are down by a certain margin and needs a spark. I wish he did it more often.

Yep I watched a few old bball games last year and we used to press a lot more even early in games.

I still see a lot of the same plays that were used whether it was Dungey/TD/Culpepper/Mahoney/Morgan in at QB. Just emphasizing the running game more since that's what we're good at for now.

Agree and high speed tempo is not an all or nothing approach. The staff can pick their moments to implement during the game. You can turn it on and off as needed or as you want.
Yessir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom