Wow great article-- ND and ACC -- | Syracusefan.com

Wow great article-- ND and ACC --

You beat me to it as I was just about to post it -- this comes on the heels of the article yesterday in a Fort Wayne paper.

Hopefully this gains some legs and I believe this is the ONLY reason that Swofford went to 14, instead of just getting it over with and going to 16 with Uconn and Rutgers. One last ditch effort at Notre Dame and/or Texas.

And if, big if, ND is interested, then they would get to pick whether they want UConn or Rutgers. Put yourself in their shoes. Who do you want?

This would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it. I just can't picture ND in the ACC

I think Bees & Jake came to this conclusion yesterday - the ball is in NDs court but I think everyone now is waiting on both UT & OU next move.

Put yourself in their shoes. Who do you want?

Penn State
Well wouldn't that just shove it up a certain gloomy conference's ass. :p

And I really like that ND hand is being forced instead of them calling all the shots like they did with the BE. I think I dislike ND more than I dislike the girls (not really).

You beat me to it as I was just about to post it -- this comes on the heels of the article yesterday in a Fort Wayne paper.

Hopefully this gains some legs and I believe this is the ONLY reason that Swofford went to 14, instead of just getting it over with and going to 16 with Uconn and Rutgers. One last ditch effort at Notre Dame and/or Texas.

I keep seeing people mention Rutgers... what would they bring to the ACC or Big 10? They have floundered in obscurity in the Big East despite the advantages of their location and they bring absolutely nothing in basketball. I don't see their value to either of these leagues... it's not like it's a prestigious academic institution. What's the draw? And don't tell me the NYC tv market... they don't have it.

I still believe that the Big Ten holds the trump card with ND and perhaps Texas. I do not believe either will end up in our conference.

But stranger things have happened.

I would be nervous if I was Rutgers, UCONN, Cincinnati, Louisville, and USF. I still think that WVU ends up in the SEC or ACC. Louisville might make it's way into the SEC. The others have to be crossing their fingers and praying to get picked up by someone. I can see Rutgers, UCONN, Cinci, and USF being on the outside looking in after the shakeup takes the number of BCS conferences to 4 instead of the current 6. They may be joined by Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, and Iowa State. I can see Missouri landing in the SEC. Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State... maybe the Big 10? Seats at that table are really limited though with some of the coveted teams still on the board (Notre Dame, Texas). If Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State go to the PAC 12, I could see the Big 10 taking Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, and then trying to pull Notre Dame into the fold. That would give them 16 teams.

The Big 12 and Big East are going bye bye. I don't know if the remaining teams in either league would be able to retain rights of the old conference (keeping the BCS AQ standing).

Right, I don't see where they have any leverage at all... they need a miracle to stay in a BCS AQ conference... their only hope is if the Big 12 breaks up, maybe they can cobble together a football conference comprised of Big 12 and Big East leftovers along with TCU. That conference will replace the Big East as the ugly stepsister of the 5 BCS AQ conferences, assuming it retains that status.

SU, Pitt, WVa, ND

Reel in ND, you land a huge chunk if not most of NYC's college football imagination.

Give the Nits a courtesy call. When they laugh and hang up, give 'em five to really think it over. Text them back "NYC road trip... case of Keystone... you in?"

If you have another seat in the car, better get someone who can hold their liquor. The Mounties ain't big on book learnin', so they're going to have to promise UNC, Duke, and GTech that its cut is going to improve academics instead of new, purdy toys. Why wouldn't WVa sign off on that? What choice you got D. Ray?

Then does the BiG take a BIG gamble on wobbly RU or UConn to try to appease the outnumbered PSU fans in NYC?
Or did the Nebraska move mean its future is in corn subsidies?

I don't see ND joining the ACC, even though the author has some good points.
If the Big East folds or merges with the Big12 remnants, then ND is in a pickle. I don't know why the BigEast12 would accept a ND for all sports except football (still don't know why the BigEast did either for that matter - never liked that). So, if they won't accept status quo, then I think ND goes where they belong - to the Big10.

I'd love to see Penn State and UConn come with us to the ACC, but I'd guess it's UConn and Rutgers (as much as I don't want them).

If I had my choice, West Virginia and Penn State. That would make a truly east coast focused major conference.

Dare to dream. Maybe we change the name from ACC to Lambert. I don't think it will happen but the fact that a few of us can even conceive this shows how fluid the current state of affairs are with college sports.

I hate ND with a passion, however I recognize the value. The ACC must be firm and adament, leave no wiggle room for any deals...all in, or out! Maybe make some concessions for their tv deal but outside of that, no concessions on anything else. If you want to park your other athletics somewhere while staying independant, I'm sure the BE,MAC,SunBelt,WAC or other conference like that will gladly make a deal. And we will all watch as your other sports die. Basically, after all these years of a mediocre to down right piss poor football program reveling in their sweet tv deal,independance,and sucking up the constant courting while acting like a cheap tease...they will have to join somewhere eventually. I'm reveling in their 'hurt' feelings and total bewilderment that someone would have the nerve not to look out for ND, as they consider their own future options. as for who else to join,...anyone that makes sense and can add value.

It definately looks like this ND to the ACC story is getting legs. ESPN, who many people believe is behind the Cuse/Pitt move to the ACC is pimping out this headline all morning. ND to the ACC would solidify the football side of our conference I would think? Teams may be less likely to pay out the extravagant exit fee to join the SEC when theyre in a football conference with ND. At least I hope so, because if we add ND and another northeastern school (UCONN/PSU/lesser extent Rutgers) then I dont think we could have hoped for anything better.