Class of 2014 - WR Adonis Jennings (NJ) Transferring from Pitt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 WR Adonis Jennings (NJ) Transferring from Pitt

I know many will disagree with me, but I happen to agree with Flood to some extent for holding his ground and saying he's not holding scholarships for guys who are showing they're not really committed by visiting other schools. i think his only mistake (to the best of my understanding) is closing the door on these guys. If I'm a D-1 Coach I say, if you look around, we will also look around and cannot guarantee your scholarship. However, if you're still interested and we still have a spot, we'd like to have you. I think that's pretty balanced and fair. I find that when guys start taking other visits, they usually decommit, anyway and you're showing the other recruits that a commitment is a 2-way street.

The one problem with Flood according to these recruits is he told them he had one spot left at their position to pressure them to commit early and then recruited and took others.

Your points are fine but unless your Ohio State, FSU, Alabama, Oregon and a select few others that kind of attitude is not going to work. If your Rutgers you dont tell two 4 star players to go pound sand if they want to go on other visits. These kids committed in june/july, what did they think was going to happen when the late fall got here and a lot of kids are taking official visits? If Syracuse/Coach Schafer ever tried this crap this board would be at defcon 5.

Hester wanted to take some other visits (to make sure) and Flood told him the same thing. If you take other visits we're going to pull the offer and Hester said fine - FU.

This is a tough situation to be in if you’re a coach and in some respects I like Flood’s position of playing hardball but it’s a really fine line to toe.

Our staff has always said – go ahead and take visits – we’re not afraid of what we’re offering. I haven’t really seen it hurt us yet.

But that said, when you have 20 spots and you tell a kid “look we’re filling up” you’re pressuring him to basically reserve his spot. The kid doesn’t want to be caught in a numbers game and the staff doesn’t either. You certainly don’t want to wait until Feb 5 to find out you need a new safety.

So the kid commits to reserve his spot and the coaching staff stops recruiting other kids.

The whole process of official visits and a late signing day is maddening and contributes to this mess ( and now the NCAA removed that second Jan visit weekend). There needs to be an early signing day. The kids who know where they want to go will sign early and the kids on the fence will wait. At least then coaches will know what their needs are and what prospects they will focus on heading into the winter and the late signing period.

If basketball can manage and early signing period then so can football.

Reminds me of the Cabinda's remarks after he switched to PSU. He said Shafer was all class and it was exactly how he thought he'd take it. That will reap benefits down the road (esp with Cabinda's coach) - while Flood is burning bridges.

Reminds me of the Cabinda's remarks after he switched to PSU. He said Shafer was all class and it was exactly how he thought he'd take it. That will reap benefits down the road (esp with Cabinda's coach) - while Flood is burning bridges.

I think the benefits are overrated. I would been fine if they told Cabinda you already took some visits and committed here, but if you look around, so do we.

I think the benefits are overrated. I would been fine if they told Cabinda you already took some visits and committed here, but if you look around, so do we.

I guess so. I just like that the kid walked away with the same opinion of Shafer as he did when he committed. Flood comes across as cocky and spiteful.

Rutgers is and always has been a raging dumpster fire. I'm glad recruits are finally smelling the shitt.

Benefit is to maintain a strong relationship with a high school coach. Something that is never, ever overrated.

If you truly think you are the best place for a young football player, there should be no issue with allowing them to look around.

Benefit is to maintain a strong relationship with a high school coach. Something that is never, ever overrated.

If you truly think you are the best place for a young football player, there should be no issue with allowing them to look around.

Exactly. I think Shafer's "We want kids who want to be here" comments get written off sometimes - when he is basically just believing in the program, school, coaches, etc. Again - Floods actions make him seem like he's afraid that a recruit will find out the truth about the NJ State Dumpster Fire.

Never, ever burn bridges. Lesson for life. Recruiting is a game, you win some you lose some, but you never take your ball and storm home because you don't like it. HCSS has the best approach, never be afraid to have a kid look around.

Who said anything about burning bridges? All I'm saying is be up front with the kid, family and HS coach and say that you are welcome to look around, but be aware that if you do that, then we will have to do the same to protect ourselves. If the spot is still open, we're still open to you. if not, not. I think that's very fair and should not burn any bridges. Why should looking around be a one way street?

Your points are fine but unless your Ohio State, FSU, Alabama, Oregon and a select few others that kind of attitude is not going to work. If your Rutgers you dont tell two 4 star players to go pound sand if they want to go on other visits. These kids committed in june/july, what did they think was going to happen when the late fall got here and a lot of kids are taking official visits? If Syracuse/Coach Schafer ever tried this crap this board would be at defcon 5.

Agree completely. This is what I was thinking as well. Rutgers is not and will never be USC, Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, etc, they are NOT a selector school and never will be. Taking a selector school mentality when you aren't one is not a good strategy IMO. Especially with in state kids. Rutgers built their current program on crappy scheduling and in state recruiting relationships, they can keep up with the crappy scheduling to some degree outside their B1G schedule but recruiting strong in NJ is the only hope they have of not being a perennial doormat in the B1G.

Looks like RU Lost two more commits this evening

4 star Kiy Hester
2 star Lamont Simmons

Add that to Jennings yesterday
Huggins rumored to be leaving as well.

All is not well in Piscataway

I didn't see the Huggins note - and I thought he was going to win 3 Heismans for them.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._cb_lamont_simmons_rutgers_de-commitment.html

I love Todderick's justification. Basically the kid didn't get the full Rutgers experience because he couldn't go to NYC with other recruits. That place really must be a hell hole if one of their main selling points is that you can get to a different state in an hour. I bet you can count the number of times football players actually make it to the city in their 4 years at Rutgers on one hand.

Official visit cut short
Simmons – who committed to Rutgers before ever even visiting campus – wasn't able to get to Rutgers until the Saturday of his official visit weekend, due to having a game the night before. Therefore, he missed the trip to New York City with commit Jacob Kraut – also from Jacksonville – and any other potential recruits who may have been down that weekend. Simmons ended up taking the trip to New York City on Sunday, but by that time any other recruits had already gone home.
So he didn't get the full Rutgers experience during his trip to the banks. Not to mention, being that he is from Florida, the two days he spent on the Rutgers campus was likely the only time he would have been afforded to explore up until his would-be arrival time next summer.

Scott has been at this for 20 years, so he has built relationships by honesty, it seems the people on his staff are the same way. It may not be in the next 2 years, but as these new high school coaches they meet, hear from others about the straightforward approach of this staff, they will swing recruits this way.

Who said anything about burning bridges? All I'm saying is be up front with the kid, family and HS coach and say that you are welcome to look around, but be aware that if you do that, then we will have to do the same to protect ourselves. If the spot is still open, we're still open to you. if not, not. I think that's very fair and should not burn any bridges. Why should looking around be a one way street?

Because it is common now for a kid to commit to a school to ensure he isn't left empty. Then, using that security blanket, to confirm he made the right choice.

HS coaches don't like having kids commit on conditional offers then have that offer revoked b/c the kid is trying to make the best decision.

So, the kid made his decision to commit to a school. Then, new schools enter the picture. The kid becomes confused. He wants to visit these schools. So, the kid starts to visit and you decide to renege his offer and another guy commits, taking that spot. Kid decides he wants to go to your school and it was the best choice for him, but you no longer have a spot to give him. HS coach interprets it more as looking out for your best interest' instead of the kids'. And the fact you are punishing a kid for wanting to make an informed decision.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._cb_lamont_simmons_rutgers_de-commitment.html

I love Todderick's justification. Basically the kid didn't get the full Rutgers experience because he couldn't go to NYC with other recruits. That place really must be a hell hole if one of their main selling points is that you can get to a different state in an hour. I bet you can count the number of times football players actually make it to the city in their 4 years at Rutgers on one hand.

Official visit cut short
Simmons – who committed to Rutgers before ever even visiting campus – wasn't able to get to Rutgers until the Saturday of his official visit weekend, due to having a game the night before. Therefore, he missed the trip to New York City with commit Jacob Kraut – also from Jacksonville – and any other potential recruits who may have been down that weekend. Simmons ended up taking the trip to New York City on Sunday, but by that time any other recruits had already gone home.
So he didn't get the full Rutgers experience during his trip to the banks. Not to mention, being that he is from Florida, the two days he spent on the Rutgers campus was likely the only time he would have been afforded to explore up until his would-be arrival time next summer.

Well that explains it, decomitted because he didn't go to NYC.

Because it is common now for a kid to commit to a school to ensure he isn't left empty. Then, using that security blanket, to confirm he made the right choice.

HS coaches don't like having kids commit on conditional offers then have that offer revoked b/c the kid is trying to make the best decision.

So, the kid made his decision to commit to a school. Then, new schools enter the picture. The kid becomes confused. He wants to visit these schools. So, the kid starts to visit and you decide to renege his offer and another guy commits, taking that spot. Kid decides he wants to go to your school and it was the best choice for him, but you no longer have a spot to give him. HS coach interprets it more as looking out for your best interest' instead of the kids'. And the fact you are punishing a kid for wanting to make an informed decision.

So you're saying a school has to hold a spot for a kid while he keeps shopping around? Why is that fair to the school?The school can choose to let him look around, but I don't know how a HS coach can begrudge a school if they don't want to be left holding the bag while the recruit takes up a spot in the class. Now if the school reneges on a recruit for other reasons (Ex: he's not as good as they thought), that's different.

So you're saying a school has to hold a spot for a kid while he keeps shopping around? Why is that fair to the school?The school can choose to let him look around, but I don't know how a HS coach can begrudge a school if they don't want to be left holding the bag while the recruit takes up a spot in the class. Now if the school reneges on a recruit for other reasons (Ex: he's not as good as they thought), that's different.

Because in the end, the kid is making a life changing decision. A coach should allow the player to make that decision with the utmost confidence and not feel rush or bullied. If a college coach does that to one of your kids, would you look at that school the same way if they come recruiting your youngest?

If you really want the kid, why should you be bothered by him taking other visits? There is a reason they got the offer and someone down the list didn't. I think this is a reason why those schools that tell kids to stop taking visits or your offer is revoked aren't the top schools in the country.

Because in the end, the kid is making a life changing decision. A coach should allow the player to make that decision with the utmost confidence and not feel rush or bullied. If a college coach does that to one of your kids, would you look at that school the same way if they come recruiting your youngest?

If you really want the kid, why should you be bothered by him taking other visits? There is a reason they got the offer and someone down the list didn't. I think this is a reason why those schools that tell kids to stop taking visits or your offer is revoked aren't the top schools in the country.

My worry as a coach of a kid taking visits after he committed is that he is not committed. I agree that coaches shouldn't bully kids into making decisions. If a kid isn't sure, he shouldn't commit. I just respectfully disagree that the coach/school should have to wait around for months and save a scholie while a guy keeps looking around after he committs.
Let's say a school wants to bring in 1 top RB in a class and they get a guy and now he wants to look around-now the school can't offer anyone else at his position until he decides? I think if the coach explains this (look around, but if you do, i can't guarantee I won't fill it w/ someone else), it should be reasonable to the player/family/HS coach and I believe I'd say that if it was my kid.

Makes me wonder exactly what's going in NYC?!
There has been 'shady' sh it going on with Rutgers for the past 6-7 years in regards to recruiting -- NYC was their 'big' selling point, and it makes you wonder exactly what was going on during those trips

Well that explains it, decomitted because he didn't go to NYC.
LOL - well, he DID go to NYC on Sunday, but not with the other recruits - so he didn't get the full Rutgers experience???

that's a really weird attempt at spin - his trip to a city that's an hour away from campus was during the day after the other recruits already left, so that's why he decommitted - perfectly plausible :rolleyes: .... idiots

There has been 'shady' sh it going on with Rutgers for the past 6-7 years in regards to recruiting -- NYC was their 'big' selling point, and it makes you wonder exactly what was going on during those trips
Nothing that doesn't go on during Miami visits.;)