Class of 2017 - WR CJ Hayes (KY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/20/22) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR CJ Hayes (KY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/20/22)

First thing I did was go to the Michigan state roster and see what they have his size at. They have him listed at 6-2 205. that works. Good baseline. Now I want to know if he can run and how are his hands
Take a look at his senior tape above your post to see how his hands are - they look very good to me.

Jackson didn't have much better stats than this guy at MSU but he was also a top 150 recruit nationally coming out of high school and was never moved to another position. Makes me wonder about his hands.
His HS senior tape above your post should give you a great idea about his hands, they are very good. Has more than decent speed runs routes well and as a safety hits very hard as well as contributing to pass break ups.
The coaches know what they want and are getting.

If he is half as good as Trishton then I will be happy that he came to SU. That would mean he would be a good solid contributor. If he turns out to be as good or better, I will come up there and help him pack his Uhaul to go to the NFL draft.

Last edited:
He visited Syracuse in a UHaul. He was coming here coaching staff or not. LOL

"Hayes traveled to SU in a U-Haul with his belongings with the intention of not leaving once he arrived."

That's classic.
If he never intends to leave the truck he won't be of much use.

Not sure what to expect.

I defer to the staff. If they think he can help great.

We have some young receivers that hopefully take a big step up to have more competition at wr.

If he does well it only makes su stronger. If not he is here only one year and it means other players stepped up. Win win.

What was really nice to see with his commitment were lots of Michigan State fans congratulating him and wishing him success at SU.
He is by all accounts a really smart, hard working kid who has paid his dues and is ready for some playing time.

I think he will be easy to root for.

I met CJ and his family on Tuesday. Seems like a bright and humble young man.

He has big strong hands. That doesn't guarantee that he catches the ball on tough throws over the middle, but it is a start.

They seemed very excited for the opportunity to play in Syracuse and are impressed with the plan that the coaches have laid out for him. Based on what I've seen on film and the in person meeting, I think he is fast enough to get behind defenders but tough and physical enough to make plays in traffic and be a strong blocker on the edge.

wonder if this means we have a wr coach and are just waiting until nsd to announce?

wonder if this means we have a wr coach and are just waiting until nsd to announce?
Classes start on Monday. If he plans on being here for spring semester, can’t wait much longer.

First thing I did was go to the Michigan state roster and see what they have his size at. They have him listed at 6-2 205. that works. Good baseline. Now I want to know if he can run and how are his hands
In the video posted above he looked good running and came across as a playmaker, breaking tackles and seemed comfortable doing it. His catches looked natural but he wasn't really challenged that way on most plays. His longish legs seem to give him speed and leverage. He looks to have some tools to offer if he can show that he's a viable option. He has an opportunity...
highlight tape doesn't normally show dropped passes.

hope he is great, but odd that MSU would move a very good WR to defense? Specials might be the answer

hope he is great, but odd that MSU would move a very good WR to defense? Specials might be the answer
Or maybe the "answer" is that the coaching staff, including the new OC and QB brain trust, wanted to bolster the young wide receiver corps that we have with an experienced collegiate player who could step right in and contend on the two deep.

Maybe Hayes will prove to be the next Etta-Tawo. More likely, he'll be a role player who gives us another option at receiver.

That, in conjunction with young players like Courtney Jackson and Alford taking the next step, enhances the base.

I dont know but Reed and Nailor have been a very good receiver duo the last two years. Hayes missed the 2020 season so it was probably a uphill battle to beat them out this year.

This is a good add, low risk, high reward - size wise I'll take him over Sharod Johnson anyday of the week, so good trade as far as I'm concerned.
I think this is a great way to look at it.

I want to be excited because it’s a seasoned Michigan State kid. Then you realize his best production was a few seasons back at one catch a game and he didn’t even play that side of the ball this season.

Both sides are taking a chance on the other and there must be another element we don’t know. So will take it especially through the lens of tep’s posts.