Class of 2017 - WR CJ Hayes (KY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/20/22) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR CJ Hayes (KY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/20/22)

I met CJ and his family on Tuesday. Seems like a bright and humble young man.

He has big strong hands. That doesn't guarantee that he catches the ball on tough throws over the middle, but it is a start.

They seemed very excited for the opportunity to play in Syracuse and are impressed with the plan that the coaches have laid out for him. Based on what I've seen on film and the in person meeting, I think he is fast enough to get behind defenders but tough and physical enough to make plays in traffic and be a strong blocker on the edge.
adagio-teas.jpg

highlight tape doesn't normally show dropped passes.
As a class of 2017 recruit out of South Warren High School in Kentucky, Hayes signed with Michigan State over offers from Purdue, Illinois, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina and several more. Hayes was originally committed to Purdue since the summer of 2016, but flipped to the Spartans right before National Signing Day. He was recruited to Michigan State by former Syracuse wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel.

I’ve appreciated your posts mostly every time you post Phat but from a N.J. Prep, All - State QB like me who played for us, who ran as fast as Floyd – no kidding, do you think I know they don’t show drops on his tape? Maybe you ought to call up Samuel or Dino and ask their opinion on why they took him in. Sorry, but sometimes wise ass comments piss me off.

Last edited:
As a class of 2017 recruit out of South Warren High School in Kentucky, Hayes signed with Michigan State over offers from Purdue, Illinois, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina and several more. Hayes was originally committed to Purdue since the summer of 2016, but flipped to the Spartans right before National Signing Day. He was recruited to Michigan State by former Syracuse wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel.

I’ve appreciated your posts mostly every time you post Phat but from a N.J. Prep, All - State QB like me who played for us, who ran as fast as Floyd – no kidding, do you think I know they don’t show drops on his tape? Maybe you ought to call up Samuel or Dino and ask their opinion on why they took him in. Sorry, but sometimes wise ass comments piss me off.

It really wasn't a wise ass comment. Knowing as much as you do I'm surprised you referred people to incomplete HS tape, that is over 5 years old, to say his hands are very good. We in fact don't know if they're very good. With all due respect to you and Dino and Samuel; the Michigan St state staff - a staff that finished 11-2 and ranked in the top 10 - moved Hayes to defensive back. There's really only 3 reasons I can come up for that move; a) he asked to be moved, b) the staff needed immediate secondary help and he wasn't going to contribute at WR, or c) they didn't believe his future was at WR at all (this could be for a few reasons none of which has to do with his hands.)

Nevertheless, from an outside point of view the hands are really the only unknown at this point and it's a fair question.

It really wasn't a wise ass comment. Knowing as much as you do I'm surprised you referred people to incomplete HS tape, that is over 5 years old, to say his hands are very good. We in fact don't know if they're very good. With all due respect to you and Dino and Samuel; the Michigan St state staff - a staff that finished 11-2 and ranked in the top 10 - moved Hayes to defensive back. There's really only 3 reasons I can come up for that move; a) he asked to be moved, b) the staff needed immediate secondary help and he wasn't going to contribute at WR, or c) they didn't believe his future was at WR at all (this could be for a few reasons none of which has to do with his hands.)

Nevertheless, from an outside point of view the hands are really the only unknown at this point and it's a fair question.
Phat, sorry about the wise ass comment. It was the only tape available that shows him catching the ball as well as play defense as a safety.

As a senior in high school that tape showed a lot of catches and I don't think if you have that talent you lose it especially if he went to M State and was coached initially as a WR by the coaches there.

I like your reasons. You want to play, so since he was good on defense any chance to play is better than none. Could be they already had good WR's and he was third or fourth string. Immediate secondary help sounds very feasible to me.

We'll see about his hands soon as spring practice isn't that far away. I hope he turns into a great receiver for us and that the receivers we do have learn to run better routes and use a JUGS machine to help them catch well thrown balls as well as working with and developing a chemistry with the QB's we have.

Remember that the coach that recruited him, Samuel, was moved from WR coach to Assistant DB coach in 2019 after coaching the WRs from 2011-2018. Could be Hayes asked to be moved because of the coaching change.

It was to help the secondary. MSU had one of the worst passing defenses in the FBS. They had no depth and a few of the athletes were subpar. They were thin before the season began and their WR corp was deep enough ...