WR Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WR Coach

GoSU96 said:
Retread

Still young enough and now at Iowa. Iowa's not going to hire a chump. 4 years in the NFL doesn't hurt either.

How about Damien Rhodes?

I wouldnt mind that hire. I think ththe staff needs dynamic personalities who can form strong relationships. NYC and NJ dont really seem to rely on strong relationships as maybe Fla does. Im not convinced that we lost Holley, Ogundeko, jarron jones etc because our coaches didnt have strong ties.

That said, I think its important to look at guys with connections to SU as their more likely to stick with the school and we can form stability. I hope mcdonald works at and lasts, but as soon as a bigger job comes calling, I have to figure he's gone (though i hope I'm wrong)

Can this guy coach receivers?
6a00e553e551d188340120a7d1ed19970b-500wi

In all seriousness, how about a guy like Charley Molnar or TJ Weist?

Still young enough and now at Iowa. Iowa's not going to hire a chump. 4 years in the NFL doesn't hurt either.

He's at Iowa? Why in the world would he come here then?

And he didn't do such a bang up job when he was here.

He's young. He's a good coach. He will move up to the college ranks soon. Why not us?

If you were going to go that route offer Darius first. Isn't a HS HC, but he has a strong NFL pedigree, was an all time great here, and is from Camden NJ, which is smack in the middle of NJ and across from Philly. Also big name recognition in N Fla/S.Ga.

I have no idea if he can or is interested in coaching.

Rhodes might have potential, but there is impact on recruiting, and that seems to be the first priority with most.

I wouldnt mind that hire. I think ththe staff needs dynamic personalities who can form strong relationships. NYC and NJ dont really seem to rely on strong relationships as maybe Fla does. Im not convinced that we lost Holley, Ogundeko, jarron jones etc because our coaches didnt have strong ties.

That said, I think its important to look at guys with connections to SU as their more likely to stick with the school and we can form stability. I hope mcdonald works at and lasts, but as soon as a bigger job comes calling, I have to figure he's gone (though i hope I'm wrong)

That's not going to cut it. You aren't going to go into a state like NJ and look to form relationships and still be productive. We need someone with established relationships or it's a waste, and we might as well have kept Moore who is a great coach.

I don't think you have to look at a Cuse alumn, or Shafer ties either. I think Shafer knows he needs a solid recruiter in that region and that's what he will go for ...or at least I hope.

Problem is there aren't many options available out there now. I like the idea of going after a young guy off of one of the football factories support staff.

I've seen a lot of ST desires and I'm not sure why. I thought our specials this year were pretty solid.

as stupid as this may sound I really hope this hire isn't made strictly on coaching ability

Last edited:
He's at Iowa? Why in the world would he come here then?

And he didn't do such a bang up job when he was here.

Didn't say he would, but we can try and what I said is it would be a good hire.

He spent a lot of time here under 3 different HC's.

Shafer said they're looking for a coach who's a good fit (or something along those lines), but he doesn't have to be a WR coach since McDonald will handle that. It's pretty obvious it'll have to be an offensive coach since that side of the ball has fewer full-time guys than the D.

Just throwing something out there, but how would people feel about some GA or young coach with Oregon (or similar) who's familiar with some of the ins-and-outs of the offense McDonald is talking about implementing going forward. Someone who can provide some different perspective and lived the schemes for a few years? Then slot him in as a TE/offensive asst.

I feel like the top part of our offensive staff is strong with McDonald and Lester, and we could afford a "growth" type guy who could be someone on the staff the players could really relate to (not that I think that's a problem now). :noidea:

Shafer said they're looking for a coach who's a good fit (or something along those lines), but he doesn't have to be a WR coach since McDonald will handle that. It's pretty obvious it'll have to be an offensive coach since that side of the ball has fewer full-time guys than the D.

Just throwing something out there, but how would people feel about some GA or young coach with Oregon (or similar) who's familiar with some of the ins-and-outs of the offense McDonald is talking about implementing going forward. Someone who can provide some different perspective and lived the schemes for a few years? Then slot him in as a TE/offensive asst.

I feel like the top part of our offensive staff is strong with McDonald and Lester, and we could afford a "growth" type guy who could be someone on the staff the players could really relate to (not that I think that's a problem now). :noidea:

I really don't think it should be based on coaching abilities. All coaches who made it to this level know what they are doing. Having a strong recruiter far outweighs an outstanding coach.

One thing to mention is I would probably bet on the coach being an African-American.

I really don't think it should be based on coaching abilities. All coaches who made it to this level know what they are doing. Having a strong recruiter far outweighs an outstanding coach.

One thing to mention is I would probably bet on the coach being an African-American.

You're exactly right. WR coach should just be renamed "Ace Recruiter". That's just kind of the way it works at most programs. Time for us to do the same there. Shafer certainly won't be looking at coaching acumen first. He'll be trying to find another strong recruiter who can further upgrade talent. That's the name of the game in CFB.

Cuseman78 said:
You're exactly right. WR coach should just be renamed "Ace Recruiter". That's just kind of the way it works at most programs. Time for us to do the same there. Shafer certainly won't be looking at coaching acumen first. He'll be trying to find another strong recruiter who can further upgrade talent. That's the name of the game in CFB.

I think he cares more about "fit" than coaching ability and recruiting ability. His time at Michigan cemented that notion.

I think he cares more about "fit" than coaching ability and recruiting ability. His time at Michigan cemented that notion.

We'll see. But if he goes after a HS coach in a recruiting hotbed, you'll know what his primary focus is.

How about former Auburn High School WR (Class of 88), Canisius grad and current HS coach of national football powerhouse Oscar Smith HS (Va.)? Just a thought.

wow, Dickie Morgan turned out to be a pretty damn good coach.

With Boeheim's resurgence maybe Mike Hopkins would be interested in a new career path. :eek:

I get the fascination with nyc/nj but I'd prefer someone with md/va ties. Weve done well with the players we've gotten there but haven't even been a player there recently. Top nyc kids aren't coming to SU until the program sells itself to them. We could be on the way but until that is the case who we have recruiting them doesn't seem to matter. Hell our last HC was an nyc guy and coaches still weren't lining up to send their top players so why would a position coach be any different?

Either that pa or texas. If were going to land second tier recruits I'd much rather it be from a talent rich state vs ny/nj.

I think the thing with the push for the ST coach is, essentially, it's a coach who can devote most of his time to recruiting.

Honestly, and I know this is a stretch, but what are the chances Shafer looks at McDonald's connections for a Texas based coach?

I would love to get in to Texas. I would also be okay if we double down in Florida.

I get the fascination with nyc/nj but I'd prefer someone with md/va ties. Weve done well with the players we've gotten there but haven't even been a player there recently. Top nyc kids aren't coming to SU until the program sells itself to them. We could be on the way but until that is the case who we have recruiting them doesn't seem to matter. Hell our last HC was an nyc guy and coaches still weren't lining up to send their top players so why would a position coach be any different?

Either that pa or texas. If were going to land second tier recruits I'd much rather it be from a talent rich state vs ny/nj.
Brice Bevill. Coached in WCAC for many years. DeMatha hall of fame athlete. Runs youth programs in DC. SU d-back when we were good.

I would love to get in to Texas. I would also be okay if we double down in Florida.

I think we're fine In florida. I'd like us to getinto an area we don't currently cover. Preferably one that is talent rich in positions we've struggled to fill. Texas or the gulf states would be ideal for d line and o line just based on sheer number of large bodies that have played football for years as well as the occasional skill guy we might land. Va/md has quite a few bigs as well as skill position players, albiet not as many as texas but distance would be less of a factor for recruits.

Sad but I think the day of SU ties are gone,McDonald is OC ,He's not gonna be OC and receivers Coach

Pennsylvania or mid-Atlantic would be a good region to cover. I mean, it's in the conference name ...

But seriously, our recruiting has been pretty widespread this year -- I take that as a good sign. I just don't recall that we hit much between South Carolina and the southern tier of NY. Am I wrong about that?

Sad but I think the day of SU ties are gone,McDonald is OC ,He's not gonna be OC and receivers Coach

McD is going to be the OC and receivers coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom