Class of 2014 - WR Corey Holmes Transferring from Notre Dame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 WR Corey Holmes Transferring from Notre Dame

WR coach is also his dad's former teammate. No need to establish a relationship there. There's a lot going for SU in this one.

Who know's what kind of "relationship" there is though? They played on opposite sides of the ball.

I think it raises the program's profile to even be considered by these types of recruits. I think more winning will finally result in signing one or two.

Who know's what kind of "relationship" there is though? They played on opposite sides of the ball.

I think it raises the program's profile to even be considered by these types of recruits. I think more winning will finally result in signing one or two.
Is it too greedy to hope and maybe expect to sign a few of these guys before the summer hits or at worst at the end of the summer?

If they didn't have a good relationship, I doubt very much SU would even be under consideration. Your son being coached by a guy you don't like/respect? I think that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Is it too greedy to hope and maybe expect to sign a few of these guys before the summer hits or at worst at the end of the summer?

Well, technically they can't sign until February. I would love to see more commits. I am not trying to be hopelessly negative. Guys like KJ Williams and Holmes would be outstanding additions. I am just skeptical any of these kids will want to be at Syracuse until we win more.

Despite all the talk about facilities, more than anything, kids want to win, and they want to love who's coaching them. Signing these types of recruits will say alot about Shafer's guys.

Well, technically they can't sign until February. I would love to see more commits. I am not trying to be hopelessly negative. Guys like KJ Williams and Holmes would be outstanding additions. I am just skeptical any of these kids will want to be at Syracuse until we win more.

Despite all the talk about facilities, more than anything, kids want to win, and they want to love who's coaching them. Signing these types of recruits will say alot about Shafer's guys.

tell that to Ole Miss, Tennessee, Rutgers, the list goes on. Fresh faces, buzz, improvement on the field. these kids are smarter then you are giving them credit for

tell that to Ole Miss, Tennessee, Rutgers, the list goes on. Fresh faces, buzz, improvement on the field. these kids are smarter then you are giving them credit for

I'm not sure what this means? Nor am i sure what it has to do with Syracuse.

Edit: I agree that having some dynamic personalities (fresh faces + buzz) can really help though.

If they didn't have a good relationship, I doubt very much SU would even be under consideration. Your son being coached by a guy you don't like/respect? I think that would be a dealbreaker for me.

I agree. I am not implying that they had a bad relationship or anything. My buddy played for a major D1 football program. One thing that always stuck out to me about his experience was how isolated the offensive players were from the defensive players. They were practically on two different teams.

I am sure someone at a recruiting site will ask directly, that will end the need to assume one way or the other. Let's hope Holmes' father and Rob Moore are good friends and SU has a real in.

Yes, I shouldn't have said "sign", I meant commit. It is amazing what coaches with connections and personality can pull off. Combine that with the connections we have to the two recievers that you speak of, and we seem to have a great shot. And, once you get a few of those players, it seems to cause a bit of a snowball effect.

I'm not sure what this means? Nor am i sure what it has to do with Syracuse.

Edit: I agree that having some dynamic personalities (fresh faces + buzz) can really help though.

it means neither of those schools have won, or won big recently and all have signed highly regarded prospects. So saying Syracuse isn't going to sign any of these guys until we start winning just isn't true. it's all about the current staff.

it means neither of those schools have won, or won big recently and all have signed highly regarded prospects. So saying Syracuse isn't going to sign any of these guys until we start winning just isn't true. it's all about the current staff.

Ole Miss's last recruiting class is largely inexplicable. Rutgers and Tenn are not good examples for a multitude of reasons (primarily because Rutgers has won a lot more than Syracuse and hasnt landed anyone outside of NJ, and Tenn's recruiting has actually been down in recent years [you know, since they have been losing]).

I said kid's want to win and they want to play for coaches they love. In the end, when all things are equal, i think kids will go to the best program they can. Generally, winning is what defines a program.

Ole Miss's last recruiting class is largely inexplicable. Rutgers and Tenn are not good examples for a multitude of reasons (primarily because Rutgers has won a lot more than Syracuse and hasnt landed anyone outside of NJ, and Tenn's recruiting has actually been down in recent years [you know, since they have been losing]).

I said kid's want to win and they want to play for coaches they love. In the end, when all things are equal, i think kids will go to the best program they can. Generally, winning is what defines a program.

it's not inexplicable. it's the staffs that have changed these programs. Look at what Butch Jones did at Tenn in short time last recruiting cycle, and look at the verbals he already has for 2014. You said it yourself they haven't won, yet they just signed some top talent. Guz Malzhan has transformed Ole Miss virtually over night. Same when Schiano took over Rutgers. What had Rutgers ever won before he got there? They still really have never won anything, but they still get highly regarded players. These are just a few examples. Kids want to win yes, but they also want to play for a staff they feel comfortable with, and recruit them hard.

James Franklin - Vanderbilt
Jim Mora Jr - UCLA
Kevin Sumlin - A&M
Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern
Steve Sarkisian - Washinton
Dabo Swinney - Clemson

all other examples off the top of my head where new staffs have come in and changed the program around by bringing in highly rated recruits without ever really winning big. Who is to say Scott Shafer can't be another one of these guys?

it's not inexplicable. it's the staffs that have changed these programs. Look at what Butch Jones did at Tenn in short time last recruiting cycle, and look at the verbals he already has for 2014. You said it yourself they haven't won, yet they just signed some top talent. Guz Malzhan has transformed Ole Miss virtually over night. Same when Schiano took over Rutgers. What had Rutgers ever won before he got there? They still really have never won anything, but they still get highly regarded players. These are just a few examples. Kids want to win yes, but they also want to play for a staff they feel comfortable with, and recruit them hard.

James Franklin - Vanderbilt
Jim Mora Jr - UCLA
Kevin Sumlin - A&M
Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern
Steve Sarkisian - Washinton
Dabo Swinney - Clemson

all other examples off the top of my head where new staffs have come in and changed the program around by bringing in highly rated recruits without ever really winning big. Who is to say Scott Shafer can't be another one of these guys?
what did rutgers really win with schiano...softer schedule

it's not inexplicable. it's the staffs that have changed these programs. Look at what Butch Jones did at Tenn in short time last recruiting cycle, and look at the verbals he already has for 2014. You said it yourself they haven't won, yet they just signed some top talent. Guz Malzhan has transformed Ole Miss virtually over night.

A minor thing, but Hugh Freeze is the head coach at Ole Miss who has spearheaded the turnaround (notably on the recruiting trail).

And yes, it is the same Hugh Freeze from "The Blindside" about Michael Oher.

A minor thing, but Hugh Freeze is the head coach at Ole Miss who has spearheaded the turnaround (notably on the recruiting trail).

He must have Sandra Bullock teaching his players how to play. That's what the movie showed me was the secret to his high school success.

Also, he probably moonlights as a supervillain with a name like that.

thanks for pointing it out i was reading an Auburn article right before I wrote that.

Corey Holmes is wanted by many college programs and he plans to take his time with a decision. This spring, he plans to see at least two college spring games - Notre Dame and Syracuse. The St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL) wide receiver and several of his teammates hold several of the same offers and they talk recruiting all the time.

I can't help but wonder if he's just "considering" us the way Gronkowski did, as in, it's just to placate family and he doesn't intend to actually put us in his final couple schools.
ACC vs. BE.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't it be great to get an athlete that has been offered by ND?

Holmes seems genuinely interested. Might have to give his dad an assist on this one, he seems to have educated Corey on the Orange from the start. This would be a great opportunity to steal one of the big boys from So. Fla.

Wouldn't it be great to get an athlete that has been offered by ND?

There is a thread on this board of an article that ND is losing 4 of it's top 5 recruits from 2012 and the 5th is injured.

Saw that on ESPN and too bad for the Irish but they are loaded anyway.