Class of 2023 - WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone interested in Darrell Gill Jr. I am the EVAL person on the Football recruiting site and I take every recruits information very seriously.

I try to get every bit of information on each recruit.

Sometimes I think people don't take the time to look at what I have, now in bold type with a picture of the athlete, because if I list a 40 time, which is the most difficult time to get, someone 5 posts later after I have posted the time, will ask what it is or how fast he is when I've already gotten that for them. Maybe they are coming in late and don't have time to read the thread or go back a few posts.

Please use the information I have which I get from CuseLegacy or OrangeXtreme. I noticed people going to my post on him after he committed.

I have been following Darrell for awhile.

In my research of all the rating sites there is always a difference in height and weight. Some, like ON3 and Rivals don't have much information at all. So, like always in my Evaluation posts, I usually take the height and weight that is repeatedly the same.

HUDL is a good site and reference. They will have not only HT & WT but BP, SQ, 185 BP # of REPS along with the recruits 40 time - that's when I'm lucky - if not I have to enter the info I want - sometimes it's there, sometimes not.

In Gill, I think we have a budding star at WR. A 4.41 40 is very fast, and he has great hands. Looking at his film he catches everyting with his hands and great hops with that 44" VJ which is among the top VJ's in the NFL, he can get up above DB's to make the catch. With that combination and a chance, he could be that receiver we are looking for opposite Gadsden.

I am putting this link here because it shows who has the top VJ's in the NFL for you to look at if you like.

As of the time of this writing he is listed on HUDL at 6' 3" 178, 4.41 40, 44" VJ, I cannot find the weight room stats tomcat noted.

Her are his own Twitter notes:
https://twitter.com/Darrell_Gill_jr

Darrell Gill Jr
@Darrell_Gill_jr
·
Dec 21, 2022

DON'T MISS THE HIDDEN NUGGETS. hudl.com/profile//13709211/Darrell-Gill-Jr… 12TDs, 1148 rec yds, 55 receptions, speed and solid blocking skills is truly a gift from My Heavenly Father.
Is this kid fast?

If that 44” vertical jump is accurate, I would have expected a better high jump than 6’2”. There could be reasons though I guess, like maybe that wasn’t really his event and he had limited practice.

If that 44” vertical jump is accurate, I would have expected a better high jump than 6’2”. There could be reasons though I guess, like maybe that wasn’t really his event and he had limited practice.
Guys that have mastered the Fosbury Flop don't necessarily have the highest vertical jumps.

From friend here in Texas who is very close with the family and Texas high school football … Gill had a poor junior year. Not sure why. I’ll try and find out … could’ve been injury, just not physically developed yet, poor QB play, immaturity, better players in front of him … who knows. Either way, Gill was the quintessential late bloomer. And I think COVID extra year and the Portal are making it difficult for late bloomers to find spots.

Guys that have mastered the Fosbury Flop don't necessarily have the highest vertical jumps.
Or, those with the highest vertical jumps may not have perfected the Fosbury. I’m guessing the track coach approached him in the hallway and made him a high, long and triple jumper, and spent very little time working on technique.

Agree Fog, I had a buddy who was 6’2” and could dunk with 2 hands off a one leg jump (we didn’t really know from verticals back in the day), and became a 6’10” high jumper. He had excellent Fosbury form, and I’m guessing a vertical in the low to mid 30’s. So, go figure .

Having said all of that, I really like this prospect.

Last edited:
From friend here in Texas who is very close with the family and Texas high school football … Gill had a poor junior year. Not sure why. I’ll try and find out … could’ve been injury, just not physically developed yet, poor QB play, immaturity, better players in front of him … who knows. Either way, Gill was the quintessential late bloomer. And I think COVID extra year and the Portal are making it difficult for late bloomers to find spots.

He's ALIVE!!!! hope you are well.

Makes a ton of sense. Good insight. Fits with the point about his mom taking him to tons of camps all summer too. Plenty of kids are late bloomers and get missed. The staff has hit on more of these than missed that’s for sure.

Looks good. Who’s his QB? Some big boy throws/catches in that highlight film.

Yeah, that kid didn't look too big, but he threw some of those balls a long way.

If he really has a 44 vertical David Thompson had a 48, and was amazing.
He could be the deep threat everyone has been waiting for, get to 200 lbs, and you have a 1st round draft choice if he can catch.
Kudos to Coach Johnson for traveling to South Texas. Gill has the frame to add weight, but per Tom's post he's already pretty strong. His vertical is a 'Cuse match - 44. And he's a hair away from being 'crazy fast'. At 4.41, with some D-1 training he could be 4 flat or sub-4 ... game-changing speed. Good student to top it off. Ceiling is high for this young man. Welcome.

Last edited:
Didn’t think A&M even bothered with 3 stars.
They had a lot of attrition following the season. They signed five 3 star guys in this class. The player from Gill's school is 6-3, 380.

www.hudl.com

Darrell Gill Jr on Hudl

Watch Darrell Gill Jr's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Atascocita High School - Boys Varsity Football / WR / Class of 2023 / Humble, TX

www.hudl.com

Expand...
OFFERED> DARRELL GILL, JR 2023 ATASCOCITA HS, HUMBLE, TX
#15 6' 3" 178, 4.41 40, 44" VJ, , 55 REC 12TDs, - 1148 REC YDS
COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE 2/1/23

FkhhnbJWQAE9WJu

www.si.com

Darrell Gill Commits to and Signs With Syracuse

Class of 2023 Humble (TX) Atascocita wide receiver Darrell Gill has committed to and signed with Syracuse on National Signing Day. Gill officially visited the

www.si.com

DEPENDING ON POSITION THE FOLLOWING 40 TIMES ARE PERTINENT:

GOOD = 5.0 - 5.99

FAST = 4.9 - 4.99

FAST= 4.8 - 4.89

FAST= 4.7 - 4.79

FAST= 4.6 - 4.69

FAST= 4.5 - 4.59

VERY FAST= 4.4 - 4.49

ELITE = 4.2 - 4.39

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM:

VERY FAST
VJ IS AN AMAZING 44" SO HE HAS THE HOPS TO GET UP AND GET THE BALL
GREAT VISION
HAS THE DEED ON GO ROUTES AT ATASCOCITA
HIS QB HAS A GUN SO HE SCORES MANY TDS
OUTRUNS D ON EVERY ROUTE
GOOD BLOCKER

Since the edit button times out I couldn't add additional info to my original evaluation
Here is a bit more on Gill some physical weight room stats and another short piece of an article.

SQUAT - 405

DEAD LIFT - 505

CLEAN - 265

STANDING BROAD JUMP - 11'

TRIPLE JUMP - 45' 11.5"

HIGH JUMP 6' 6"

LONG JUMP - 23'.5"

Last edited by a moderator:
3.6 gpa. Interested in majoring in engineering. Doesn't sound like an academic risk type.

I find WRs the hardest position to evaluate from highlight film. It usually features a bunch of sprint routes, some with blown coverages, where the P5 level recruits flies by some relatively slow DB.

There are some screens mixed in. It looks like he is good with YAC and he runs hard and can break some tackles. Looks like he might be a decent blocker down the road.

To me, the litmus test is if the WR can consistently win 50-50 balls thrown in his direction. How good is he in the air? Can he hold off a tough DB who is close by? Can he make adjustments on poorly thrown balls and still make the catch? What does he do on broken passing plays? Does he run back to the QB and present himself well? Does he have a feel for open space on broken plays and have a way of getting himself open quickly?

You want big, fast and strong in a WR. He is legitimately big and fast. Not crazy big or crazy fast. But big and fast. He is not strong today and that is surely one of the reasons his offer sheet is not fantastic. It looks like he has a decent build but no doubt he needs to get his weight up to around 200 pounds ASAP. Does he have the frame to do it? Does he have the pride and work ethic to make this happen?

I like that he is from just outside Houston and has played against top level competition in HS. His numbers mean a lot more to me than number run up from a player from a place like upstate NY or Connecticut.
tomcat, some info on WR's. I wanted to see the best of the best to compare to each other both in size, 40, VJ, and BJ.

This probably isn't fair, but taking the top six NFL receivers for the 2022 season to compare them with Darrell Gill is a bit of a stretch, he needs to gain muscle weight and retain his speed. Anyway, here they are:

1. JUSTIN JEFFERSON VIKINGS: 6' 1" 195, 4.43 40, 37.5 VJ, 10' 6" BJ

2. TYREEK HILL: CHIEFS: 5' 10" 191, 4.29* 40, 40.5" VJ, 10' 9" BJ *FASTEST 40 OF NFL RECEIVERS

3. DAVANTE ADAMS: PACKERS: 6' 0 215, 4.56 40, 39.5 VJ 10' 3" BJ

4. A.J. BROWN EAGLES: 6' 1" 226, 4.49 40, 36.5 VJ, 10' BJ

5. STEFON DIGGS BILLS: 6' 191, 4.46 40, 35" VJ, 9' 7" BJ

6. JAYLEN WADDLE DOLPHINS: 5' 9 1/2" 182, 4.37 40

> DARRELL GILL SYRACUSE: 6' 3" 178, 4.40 40, 44" VJ, BJ 11', TRIPLE JUMP 45' 11.5", HIGH JUMP 6'6" LONG JUMP 23' 5"

SQUAT - 405

DEAD LIFT - 505

CLEAN - 265

His weight room stats shows he already has some strength and will add more as time goes on. And, as you mentioned has some spring in those legs.

Also, Mike McAllister has this to say about his route running which may help with your questions:

Evaluation: You cannot teach size and you cannot teach speed. Syracuse football's latest signing in Darrell Gill brings both to the wide receiver position. A 6-3 track star from a talent rich state is a state is a great prospect to work with. But Gill brings more intrigue to the table as well.

Often times with fast receivers will run primarily go routes in high school as opposing teams are ill equipped to cope with elite speed.

In Gill's case, his highlight tape shows him running a variety of routes. Gill does run the traditional go, but also the corner and post as Atascocita takes advantage of his speed with a variety of deep routes. In addition, Gill can be seen running screens, slants, wheels and more. That level of experience along with his skill set gives him the chance to make an early impact at Syracuse.

Of course he will have to get stronger and we do not know about his blocking acumen, but Gill's size and speed combo gives him a very high ceiling.

Also, on his HUDL tape, at the :37 sec mark you will see how he catches the long ball in between two defenders. I too think we have a good one here.

I think we will not have a problem developing him with his speed hands and jumping ability, I think he's ready to make an impact - we'll see, big difference HS - P5. The problem may be keeping him if he is that good. :)

Last edited:
tomcat, some info on WR's. I wanted to see the best of the best to compare to each other both in size, 40, VJ, and BJ.

This probably isn't fair, but taking the top six NFL receivers for the 2022 season to compare them with Darrell Gill is a bit of a stretch, he needs to gain muscle weight and retain his speed. Anyway, here they are:

1. JUSTIN JEFFERSON VIKINGS: 6' 1" 195, 4.43 40, 37.5 VJ, 10' 6" BJ

2. TYREEK HILL: CHIEFS: 5' 10" 191, 4.29* 40, 40.5" VJ, 10' 9" BJ *FASTEST 40 OF NFL RECEIVERS

3. DAVANTE ADAMS: PACKERS: 6' 0 215, 4.56 40, 39.5 VJ 10' 3" BJ

4. A.J. BROWN EAGLES: 6' 1" 226, 4.49 40, 36.5 VJ, 10' BJ

5. STEFON DIGGS BILLS: 6' 191, 4.46 40, 35" VJ, 9' 7" BJ

6. JAYLEN WADDLE DOLPHINS: 5' 9 1/2" 182, 4.37 40

> DARRELL GILL SYRACUSE: 6' 3" 178, 4.4 40, 44" VJ, BJ 11', TRIPLE JUMP 45' 11.5", HIGH JUMP 6'6" LONG JUMP 23' 5"

SQUAT - 405

DEAD LIFT - 505

CLEAN - 265

His weight room stats shows he already has some strength and will add more as time goes on. And, as you mentioned has some spring in those legs.

Also, Mike McAllister has this to say about his route running which may help with your questions:

Evaluation: You cannot teach size and you cannot teach speed. Syracuse football's latest signing in Darrell Gill brings both to the wide receiver position. A 6-3 track star from a talent rich state is a state is a great prospect to work with. But Gill brings more intrigue to the table as well.

Often times with fast receivers will run primarily go routes in high school as opposing teams are ill equipped to cope with elite speed.

In Gill's case, his highlight tape shows him running a variety of routes. Gill does run the traditional go, but also the corner and post as Atascocita takes advantage of his speed with a variety of deep routes. In addition, Gill can be seen running screens, slants, wheels and more. That level of experience along with his skill set gives him the chance to make an early impact at Syracuse.

Of course he will have to get stronger and we do not know about his blocking acumen, but Gill's size and speed combo gives him a very high ceiling.

Also, on his HUDL tape, at the :37 sec mark you will see how he catches the long ball in between two defenders. I too think we have a good one here.

I think we will not have a problem developing him with his speed hands and jumping ability, I think he's ready to make an impact - we'll see, big difference HS - P5. The problem may be keeping him if he is that good. :)
Gill has a really high ceiling. Love that he is already working hard in the weight room. Given what he is already doing there (pretty sure he is already stronger than most of our WRs), it seems likely he will get to the 190-200 pound mark you really need to be at to be a top WR.

I am old enough to remember Art Monk, who has a similar track and field background and similar size. Art also was an extremely hard worker who had a burning desire to be great. The intangibles are really important and determine who ends up okay and who ends up a star.

Given his weight room work and his GPA, there are indications his intangibles are really good. Excited to see how he develops.

Gill has a really high ceiling. Love that he is already working hard in the weight room. Given what he is already doing there (pretty sure he is already stronger than most of our WRs), it seems likely he will get to the 190-200 pound mark you really need to be at to be a top WR.

I am old enough to remember Art Monk, who has a similar track and field background and similar size. Art also was an extremely hard worker who had a burning desire to be great. The intangibles are really important and determine who ends up okay and who ends up a star.

Given his weight room work and his GPA, there are indications his intangibles are really good. Excited to see how he develops.
ART MONK WR 6' 3" 210 4.50 40

Art Monk was one of my favorite players of all time. I was also a rabid Redskins fan when he played for them under Joe Gibbs the HC.

art3.jpg

Art Monk

James Arthur Monk (born December 5, 1957) is a retired American football wide receiver who played in the NFL for the Washington Redskins, New York Jets, and the Philadelphia Eagles. He is considered by many NFL players, coaches and analysts to be one of the greatest wide receivers of all time. Monk was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008.

Personal life

He is a relative (first cousin once removed) of jazz pioneer Thelonious Monk.

College career

Monk attended and played college football at Syracuse University, where he was a four-year Orangemen letter winner (1976–79).[1] He led the team in receiving in 1977, 1978 and 1979 and still ranks in the top 10 on several school career record lists, including career receptions (sixth), all-time receiving yards (seventh) and receiving yards per game (ninth). While there, Monk was a graduate of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

College statistics

College receiving & rushing statistics*

Career441021,64416.192541,1744.64
RecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTD
SeasonTeamGPReceivingRushing
1976Syracuse1124522.50000.00
1977Syracuse114159014.441105665.12
1978Syracuse111929315.421365734.22
1979Syracuse114071617.938354.40

* Includes bowl games.

Professional career

Monk was drafted in the first round of the 1980 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. During his rookie year, he was a unanimous All-Rookie selection and had 58 receptions, which was a Redskins' rookie record.

In 1984, Monk caught a then-NFL record 106 receptions for a career-best 1,372 yards.[3] He caught eight or more passes in six games, had five games of 100 yards or more, and in a game against the San Francisco 49ers caught ten passes for 200 yards.[3] That season, he earned team MVP honors and his first Pro Bowl selection. Monk went over the 1,000-yard mark in each of the following two seasons, becoming the first Redskins receiver to produce three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. He also became the first Redskins player to catch 70 or more passes in three consecutive seasons. In 1989, he was part of a prolific wide receiver trio (along with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders) nicknamed "The Posse,[4]" who became the first trio of wide receivers in NFL history to post 1,000-plus yards in the same season.

During Monk's 14 seasons with the Redskins, the team won three Super Bowls (XVII, XXII, and XXVI) and had only three losing seasons. He was an All-Pro and All-NFC choice in 1984 and 1985 and was named second-team All-NFC in 1986. He was also selected to play in the Pro Bowl following the 1984, 1985 and 1986 seasons.

Nine times during his 15-season career with the Redskins, New York Jets, and Philadelphia Eagles, Monk exceeded 50 catches in a season and five times gained more than 1,000 receiving yards. His record for most receptions in a season (106 in 1984) stood until broken by Sterling Sharpe's 108 in 1992. He also set the record for career receptions when he caught his 820th in a Monday Night game against Denver on October 12, 1992.[3][6] He became the first player to eclipse 900 receptions, and pushed the record up to 940 before being overtaken by Jerry Rice in the final week of his last season (1995).[1] With the retirement of James Lofton in 1993, he was the NFL's active leader in career receptions for just two weeks in 1994 before being passed by Jerry Rice.

He retired with the most consecutive games with a catch (183). He was named to the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team.[1] Monk also became the first player in the league to record a touchdown reception in 15 consecutive seasons, as well as the first player ever to record at least 35 receptions in 15 consecutive seasons. Through the course of his 14 years with the Redskins, Monk converted nearly two-thirds of his 888 catches into first downs.[6]

On August 2, 2008, Monk, along with fellow Washington Redskins teammate Darrell Green, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Upon his induction into the Hall of Fame, Monk received the longest standing ovation in Pro Football Hall of Fame history, lasting four minutes and four seconds when later timed by NFL Films. In 2012, Monk was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Statistics

Career Statistics

• Total Games Played: 224
  • Total Receptions: 940
  • Total Reception Yards: 12,721
  • Total Regular Season Touchdowns: 68
  • Total Playoff Touchdowns: 8
  • 1,000-yard seasons: 5
  • 50+ Reception Seasons: 9
  • 100+ yard regular season games: 33
  • 150+ yard regular season games: 7
  • 200+ yard regular season games: 2
  • 100+ yard playoff games: 5

Seasons among the league's top 10

• Receptions: 1984 - 1st, 1985 - 2nd, 1988 - 9th (tied), 1989 - 3rd (tied)
  • Receiving yards: 1984 - 4th, 1985 - 3rd, 1989 - 10th
  • Receiving TDs: 1991 - 9th (tied)

Among the league's all-time top 20

• Receptions: 10th (940)
  • Receiving yards: 14th (12,721)
  • Consecutive games with at least one reception: 6th (183); trails Jerry Rice (274), Tony Gonzalez (194), Marvin Harrison (190), Hines Ward (186), Terrell Owens (185)

Redskins records

• Yards from scrimmage (13,053)
  • Receiving yards (12,026)
  • Receptions (888)
  • Consecutive games with at least one reception (164) These are his consecutive games with a catch as a Redskin, not for his career. Monk continued his streak after moving on from the team.

NFL Records

• First player to record a touchdown reception in 15 consecutive seasons (1980-1994)
  • Consecutive seasons with at least 35 receptions (15, 1980–1994)
  • First player to record over 102+ receptions (106 in 1984 season) in a season before NFL rules changes prior to the 1990 season that ushered in the "pass happy era". Still, only three players in the next nine years collected 100 passes or more and only one (Sterling Sharpe in 1992 season) surpassed his total.
  • First player to record over 100+ receptions in the Super Bowl era
  • First player to record back to back seasons with 1,200 yards and 90 receptions (1984, 1985)
  • First player to reach 820 receptions in a career
  • First player to surpass 900 career receptions, finishing career with 940 (all-time record at the time)
  • First player to record at least one reception in 180 consecutive games

Awards

• 1980 Unanimous All Rookie Team Selection
  • 1984 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-Pro
  • 1984 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
  • 1984 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
  • 1984 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team
  • 1984 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 2nd team
  • 1984 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-NFL
  • 1984 - Sporting News: 1st team all-NFL
  • 1985 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
  • 1985 - Associated Press: 2nd team all-NFL