WR group | Syracusefan.com

WR group

upperdeck

Living Legend
I dont know that we have any elite WRs but I dont remember the last 40 yrs where we have as many guys who look the part of a WR. 7 Guys who made legit plays is a ton for us and Pena the slot didnt even play and Adams cant even really get in the mix

the 2 scores by Gill and Long were the stuff we seldom see our guys make, even against lower level teams.

Hatcher looks like he can pop any time.

Brown looks so smooth , rarely looked rushed.

Adams at punt returner though, he will make plays given some space.

I dont know that we have any elite WRs but I dont remember the last 40 yrs where we have as many guys who look the part of a WR. 7 Guys who made legit plays is a ton for us and Pena the slot didnt even play and Adams cant even really get in the mix

the 2 scores by Gill and Long were the stuff we seldom see our guys make, even against lower level teams.

Yeah gill made that ridic athletic play for the TD that will cause the coaches to try and figure how to get him on the field more no doubt. That was high quality stuff that you correctly note we haven’t seen the likes of it in a while.

its one thing to run nice routes
its one thing to make catches
its one thing make tough catches

to make guys miss is that thing we have lacked for years.

we had guys open all over yesterday, whether it was scheme or lack of Colgate talent we find out over the next 2-3 games.

Just like the DL last year, the WR group entered this season with a lot of question marks, and was viewed as a position of relative weakness. And just like the DL last year, the WRs are going to flip that perspective and prove to be a team strength.

Alford has taken a massive step forward. Jones is poised for a big year. And the quintet of Brown / Pena / Hatcher / Long / Adams give us better guys waiting in the wings and we've had dating back to the McNabb era, at least. Zero hyperbole.

Last year, Shrader was locked into OG, an outside of a few plays here and there, the rest of the guys didn't step up. I think it's going to be a completely different situation this year, with this group of personnel.

And if defenses try to sell out to take OG away, we're going to make them pay for doing so, unlike last year.

Hatcher might be “eggzactly” what we’ve been looking for.

Based on his HS film, Hatcher struck me as a taller Taj.
(but without the drama)

edited - funny that Zoo thinks that about Gill.

Good wiggle, gets open, great RAC ability.

Hope this year he puts it all together.

Nice to see that (not even counting Peña) that there are at least 3 legit WR2 options to compliment OG:
Alford, Jones, Hatcher.

Jones did such a great job on that broken scramble drill TD w CDRW, making himself available, and then making the catch.

And I really like what I’m seeing from Brown, Long, and Gill -
Those ankle-breaking moves by Gill to get into the end zone were sick.

Based on his HS film, Hatcher struck me as a taller Taj.
(but without the drama)

edited - funny that Zoo thinks that about Gill.

Good wiggle, gets open, great RAC ability.

Hope this year he puts it all together.

Nice to see that (not even counting Peña) that there are at least 3 legit WR2 options to compliment OG:
Alford, Jones, Hatcher.

Jones did such a great job on that broken scramble drill TD w CDRW, making himself available, and then making the catch.

And I really like what I’m seeing from Brown, Long, and Gill -
Those ankle-breaking moves by Gill to get into the end zone were sick.

The entire WR room seems to have paid attention to how successful OG has been and how clinical he is in his route running. Saw a lot of crisp routes out there more than I recall in a long time.

Just like the DL last year, the WR group entered this season with a lot of question marks, and was viewed as a position of relative weakness. And just like the DL last year, the WRs are going to flip that perspective and prove to be a team strength.

Alford has taken a massive step forward. Jones is poised for a big year. And the quintet of Brown / Pena / Hatcher / Long / Adams give us better guys waiting in the wings and we've had dating back to the McNabb era, at least. Zero hyperbole.

Last year, Shrader was locked into OG, an outside of a few plays here and there, the rest of the guys didn't step up. I think it's going to be a completely different situation this year, with this group of personnel.

And if defenses try to sell out to take OG away, we're going to make them pay for doing so, unlike last year.
I still say last year we had guys open. GS just didnt throw to them after 2nd game.

The entire WR room seems to have paid attention to how successful OG has been and how clinical he is in his route running. Saw a lot of crisp routes out there more than I recall in a long time.
Something happened, don’t know what but it’s screaming obvious. Better position coaching? Better player leadership? More confidence in the scheme? Off-season S&C? Probably all. Lots of confidence and skill on display out there.

Brown might end up the best of the group. He went up for a pass knowing he would be hit, but elevated and came down with the catch. It was a crossing pattern.
He ran a few of those yesterday.

I think Michael Johnson deserves a lot of credit here. The blocking on the edge is noticeably better, the route running is crisper, and our receivers were much more aggressive than they were last year. Turning ACC potential into ACC talent.

Position has been such a weakness for so long that I don't want to get too excited yet and I think its still TBD who's getting the most targets after OG and Jones but the group looks awesome. As someone already said good size and blocking as well.

Position has been such a weakness for so long that I don't want to get too excited yet and I think its still TBD who's getting the most targets after OG and Jones but the group looks awesome. As someone already said good size and blocking as well.
Stop.

They're good.

Jones was setup for a good year in 22 until his injury, nothing new with him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom