WR group | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

WR group

I'll guarantee you one thing, outside of Florida State we're not going to see any opponents who can match up with ALL of them.

This positional unit has transformed from a unit with massive questions marks behind OG last year to a group our opponents will fear.

In that regard, they're like this year's version of the DL from last year.

And Pena hasn't even played a snap yet.
Again, hope you’re right. But they haven’t proven it yet. We can hope it’s a unit that our opponents will fear, but what are you basing that on? How do we know Alford is improved? He’s already dropped a wide open ball for 6. And he’s been running wide open, how will he respond when he’s not wide open and the defenders can stay with him? I hope our opponents with fear our group but again, I’m still in wait and see mode.

We still have no idea if this group can get open against good DBs., but I think we can tell that if they get open they all seem to have an ability to do more than just catch it and get tackled.

Shrader missed so many home run reads last week i wonder they say when they watch the all 24

Again, hope you’re right. But they haven’t proven it yet. We can hope it’s a unit that our opponents will fear, but what are you basing that on? How do we know Alford is improved? He’s already dropped a wide open ball for 6. And he’s been running wide open, how will he respond when he’s not wide open and the defenders can stay with him? I hope our opponents with fear our group but again, I’m still in wait and see mode.

I see.

The old "... I'm not ready to say that we're good... yet" post.

All good. You'll come around soon.

LGO!!!

I see.

The old "... I'm not ready to say that we're good... yet" post.

All good. You'll come around soon.
Huh? Because I’m not going to blindly say this unit is great? Yes I want to see the unit perform against peer competition before I say they’re going to put “fear” in every school we play, what’s wrong with that exactly?

What do you mean? Because I’m not going to blindly say this unit is great? Yes I want to see the unit perform against peer competition before I say they’re going to put “fear” in every school we play.

Not looking to bicker, Haze, love your posts in general. But borrowing the term from your post -- you'd have to be blind with you can't see what this group is capable of. That's fine, feel free to wait and see.

I've already seen that they've exceeded my expectations in terms of both depth and quality.

Buckle up, they're going to put on a show this year.

That’s great and I hope you’re correct in crowning them, because it’s crucial in our success this year. But I’m still in wait and see mode until they do it against athletes that can keep up with them and compete with them athletically.
You do realize one of the large parts of the fun of sports is prognosticating. Like markets...

You can say, hey I don't think these guys can hang against legit competition and then be surprised if they do.

Or you can say, hey I think these guys are legit, just watch when they prove it vs legit competition and be surprised if they don't

But to say, Hey I'll believe it when I see it is like saying I'll invest in the market after I know it went up 12% this past year. First its not possible, and second if it was, it would take all the fun out of it.

So tell us what you think will happen, instead of just saying 'lets wait and see'.

You'd have to be blind with you can't see what this group is capable of. That's fine, feel free to wait and see.

I've already seen that they've exceeded my expectations in terms of both depth and quality.

Buckle up, they're going to put on a show this year.
Again, what have they done to show what they’re capable of? They’re running wide open against FCS and low level MAC athletes? I want them to be great as much as anyone but running wide open in glorified scrimmages hasn’t told me anything new. Can they beat peer level athletes off the release? Are they strong enough at the point of catch against peer athletes? Can they create separation on their breaks? We don’t know yet because they haven’t done it yet.

You do realize one of the large parts of the fun of sports is prognosticating. Like markets...

You can say, hey I don't think these guys can hang against legit competition and then be surprised if they do.

Or you can say, hey I think these guys are legit, just watch when they prove it vs legit competition and be surprised if they don't

But to say, Hey I'll believe it when I see it is like saying I'll invest in the market after I know it went up 12% this past year. First its not possible, and second if it was, it would take all the fun out of it.

So tell us what you think will happen, instead of just saying 'lets wait and see'.
That’s great but I’m not investing in the market, I’m not trying to be ahead of the curve. You only know what you see in football, and the reality of it is we don’t know yet, we don’t have enough information. I’d like to hope this group can be good, I like the athleticism and raw skills of our group and I hope it translates against better competition

I mean the only team in the ACC that definitely has better receivers than us is FSU

Yes, they can.

And yes, they will.
I hope you’re right but I’m not willing to say that until I see it. This is the only thing I dislike about this fan base, If you’re not blindly pro Syracuse you’re seen as negative. You can’t even say “Let’s wait and see what they do against better competition” about a group that has a combined career total 1,637 yards, and 723 of those yards are Alford.

Alford's like our 5th most dangerous receiving threat.

Alford's like our 5th most dangerous receiving threat.
He said Alford improving was one of his reasons as to why he thinks this group is going to put fear in our opponents. So I asked him what Alford has done to show he’s improved.

He said Alford improving was one of his reasons as to why he thinks this group will be better. So I asked him what Alford has done to show he’s Improved.
Nothing! He's done nothing! Still all potential, very little real production!

But lemme tell you 'bout these other guys named Jones, Hatcher, Brown and Gill...

Nothing! He's done nothing! Still all potential, very little real production!

But lemme tell you 'bout these other guys named Jones, Hatcher, Brown and Gill...
Those guys have a lot of potential, but I’d like to see them against better competition before I say they’ll put fear in our opponents, again, what is wrong with that?

Those guys have a lot of potential, but I’d like to see them against better competition before I say they’ll put fear in our opponents, again, what is wrong with that?
What's wrong with it is it's failing to acknowledge that these guys are making the kinds of plays we're not used to seeing, outside of Gadsden.

Back on the ex-gf board in the Gerg days we used to have a lot of debates about why we sucked. Was it coaching? Was it talent? We know now it was both.

But one of the older gentlemen on the board (can't remember if it was toga or all4su, but it was one of those guys I'm pretty sure) said something that made a lot of sense that's stayed with me.

They said when it comes to football talent, if it's there, every once in a while even if the coaching is terrible, just by being on the football field, every once in a while it will manifest in their talent shining through and making a play because that raw talent can't be hidden forever, even in a player that's young. Probably especially in a young guy.

We saw that very early with Tucker. Saw it with Wax and Duce. People saw it in Jobity last season. I argue we saw it with Hatcher last season. LeQuint for sure.

You're seeing it out of Jones, Hatcher, Brown and Gill right now. Just embrace it, man. Bury your face in the pillowy bosom of our WR room and live a little.

He said Alford improving was one of his reasons as to why he thinks this group is going to put fear in our opponents. So I asked him what Alford has done to show he’s improved.
He had 13 of 20 catches the last five games last year. He had the third most yards and averaged 21yds per catch.

He was voted a captain for a reason.

It’s no surprise they have given Hatcher, Brown, Jones, and Gill so many snaps. They know what Alford is capable of.

What's wrong with it is it's failing to acknowledge that these guys are making the kinds of plays we're not used to seeing, outside of Gadsden.

Back on the ex-gf board in the Gerg days we used to have a lot of debates about why we sucked. Was it coaching? Was it talent? We know now it was both.

But one of the older gentlemen on the board (can't remember if it was toga or all4su, but it was one of those guys I'm pretty sure) said something that made a lot of sense that's stayed with me.

They said when it comes to football talent, if it's there, every once in a while even if the coaching is terrible, just by being on the football field, every once in a while it will manifest in their talent shining through and making a play because that raw talent can't be hidden forever, even in a player that's young. Probably especially in a young guy.

We saw that very early with Tucker. Saw it with Wax and Duce. People saw it in Jobity last season. I argue we saw it with Hatcher last season. LeQuint for sure.

You're seeing it out of Jones, Hatcher, Brown and Gill right now. Just embrace it, man. Bury your face in the pillowy bosom of our WR room and live a little.
I’ve acknowledged they’ve looked good the first 2 weeks. But context matters. They’re running wide open in glorified scrimmages against lesser athletes. While it’s great they’re doing that, how will they respond when the defender can jam them at the LOS and isn’t physically outmatched? Can they have consistent success off the release against peer athletes? How will they perform at the point of catch against peer athletes? Can they get consistent separation on routes? We literally do not know because we haven’t seen them do it yet. They looked great against FCS and MAC level players, let’s hope it translates to better competition.

That sounds too smart to be something I would say.

That's not what I said.

I said that my original optimism was fueled by Jones / the reports of Alford's improvement that came directly from both the coaching staff, and from Garret Shrader. He's had one drop, and it sucked, but let's not pretend that he isn't producing more consistently.

Again, you'd have to be blind not to see this unit's big time potential. Remember how WF's receiving corps big-boy'd us a couple of years ago?

Get ready to see that unfold in our favor this year.

That's not what I said.

I said that my original optimism was fueled by Jones / reports of Alford's improvement.

He's had one drop, and people act like he isn't a bigger factor. Again, you'd have to be blind not to see this unit's big time potential. Remember how WF's receiving corps big-boy'd us a couple of years ago?

Get ready to see that unfold in our favor this year.
I hope so, would love nothing more.

And I don't want this to get lost -- as mentioned above, you and I are on the same page often.

Not looking to turn this into anything more than a board discussion, nothing personal whatsoever. I just am far more confident than you about what we're seeing unfold.
No sir, never personal. I respect your opinion as I do everyone’s opinion on this board. We’re allowed to have different views or different levels of optimism.

I’ve acknowledged they’ve looked good the first 2 weeks. But context matters. They’re running wide open in glorified scrimmages against lesser athletes. While it’s great they’re doing that, how will they respond when the defender can jam them at the LOS and isn’t physically outmatched? Can they have consistent success off the release against peer athletes? How will they perform at the point of catch against peer athletes? Can they get consistent separation on routes? We literally do not know because we haven’t seen them do it yet. They looked great against FCS and MAC level players, let’s hope it translates to better competition.
You really need some quality time with that pillowy bosom, boss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom