WR group | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

WR group

I’ll get some Saturday if I’m lucky.
sly GIF

He had 13 of 20 catches the last five games last year. He had the third most yards and averaged 21yds per catch.

He was voted a captain for a reason.

It’s no surprise they have given Hatcher, Brown, Jones, and Gill so many snaps. They know what Alford is capable of.

The exaggeration of what Alford did the last 5 games of the season is always funny. He started the first 8 games of the season with 0 catches in 2 games, 1 catch in 5 games (including Wagner and Uconn), then 1 game with 2 catches. The remaining 5 games he had 2,2,2,4, and 3 catches. 4 of those games were losses and his best game with 4 catches was against BC.

So yes, he improved at the end of the season from catching 0-1 passes most games to catching 2. But let’s not pretend some huge breakout happened, his “increased” production didn’t even help win games. We lost 4 out of 5 in that stretch.

He has yet to show against ACC talent that he can be a consistent threat. I’ve said for two years he has the physical gifts to be an NFL player. But there’s a heck of a lot lore that goes into talent than physical attributes. So let’s see how games against peer schools play out before we anoint him.

Huh? Because I’m not going to blindly say this unit is great? Yes I want to see the unit perform against peer competition before I say they’re going to put “fear” in every school we play, what’s wrong with that exactly?
It’s not “blindly saying”, we have actually seen two games and can compare what we have seen to previous years. There is a significant difference.

The exaggeration of what Alford did the last 5 games of the season is always funny. He started the first 8 games of the season with 0 catches in 2 games, 1 catch in 5 games (including Wagner and Uconn), then 1 game with 2 catches. The remaining 5 games he had 2,2,2,4, and 3 catches. 4 of those games were losses and his best game with 4 catches was against BC.

So yes, he improved at the end of the season from catching 0-1 passes most games to catching 2. But let’s not pretend some huge breakout happened, his “increased” production didn’t even help win games. We lost 4 out of 5 in that stretch.

He has yet to show against ACC talent that he can be a consistent threat. I’ve said for two years he has the physical gifts to be an NFL player. But there’s a heck of a lot lore that goes into talent than physical attributes. So let’s see how games against peer schools play out before we anoint him.
Where’s the exaggeration?

He end the season the #3 receiver on the team, his product improved the last 5 games, fact.

He had a 21yd per catch average. Thats significant.

I’ll take the opinion of the locker room, it has a little more weight.

It’s not “blindly saying”, we have actually seen two games and can compare what we have seen to previous years. There is a significant difference.
2 games against a rebuilding FCS school and a low level MAC school. We had guys running wide open against Wagner and Uconn last year too, was the WR room great outside of OG? Yes the WRs are putting up better numbers, because we’re throwing the ball more (18 passes last year against Wagner vs 37 passes this year against Colgate). We don’t have Sean Tucker on this roster anymore. You think Jones, Alford, or Hatcher couldn’t have gotten over 100 yards against Wagner?

2 games against a rebuilding FCS school and a low level MAC school. We had guys running wide open against Wagner and Uconn last year too, was the WR room great outside of OG? Yes the WRs are putting up better numbers, because we’re throwing the ball more (18 passes last year against Wagner vs 37 passes this year against Colgate). We don’t have Sean Tucker on this roster anymore. You think Jones, Alford, or Hatcher couldn’t have gotten over 100 yards against Wagner?
Add in Hatcher, Brown, Gill. The performance has been better than last year. It’s noticeable. Calling the games glorified scrimmages to diminish them doesn’t make your point.

Add in Hatcher, Brown, Gill. The performance has been better than last year. It’s noticeable. Calling the games glorified scrimmages to diminish them doesn’t make your point.
That’s what they are though, they’re scrimmages that count on our record. We can call almost any play in our playbook and it’ll work. What I want to see is those players you mentioned plus Jones, in a situation where every play isn’t going to work and they’re not getting 5 yards of separation on a simple in route.. How do they respond when the players they’re going against can match them physically? We don’t know, because they’ve never done it. Does that mean they’re bad? No. I think it’s a talented group, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve never seen them do these things against peer competition.

That’s what they are though, they’re scrimmages that count on our record. We can call almost any play in our playbook and it’ll work. What I want to see is those players you mentioned plus Jones, in a situation where every play isn’t going to work and they’re not getting 5 yards of separation on a simple in route.. How do they respond when the players they’re going against can match them physically? We don’t know, because they’ve never done it. Does that mean they’re bad? No. I think it’s a talented group, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve never seen them do these things against peer competition.
We certainly will find out, perhaps on Sat. I'm quite curious.

FWIW, both of these statements are true: I really like what I've seen from several of these wide outs so far. I'm hoping we see these guys keep making winning plays as the competition ramps up.

We certainly will find out, perhaps on Sat. I'm quite curious.

FWIW, both of these statements are true: I really like what I've seen from several of these wide outs so far. I'm hoping we see these guys keep making winning plays as the competition ramps up.
Absolutely. I love what we’ve seen from the group. Jones making tough catches, Brown showing off his speed regularly, Gill making the most of his run so far as a frosh. I just want to see it against better competition before I get overly excited, I’m not sure why some have an issue with that. I’ve continuously said I think it’s a talented group.

Nothing! He's done nothing! Still all potential, very little real production!

But lemme tell you 'bout these other guys named Jones, Hatcher, Brown and Gill...
I was disappointed that Alford dropped an easy TD but he made a great catch and almost a second but was led out of bounds a little to much.
I feel the coaches have gone very vanilla and limited seeing the main starters. I like Gill so far but do not see him getting that much run Saturday. More targets for Alford, Jones, Hatcher and LaQuint.
I expect Purdue to rush four or five in most plays and drop everyone else in coverage daring the team to run.
GS could have a big game with his legs along with LaQuint both running and catching short passes out of the back field. Do not need big pass plays just positive yardage to move the chains.

More physical and faster corners will be the big test Saturday. Will they be able to fend off that, we'll see.

Where’s the exaggeration?

He end the season the #3 receiver on the team, his product improved the last 5 games, fact.

He had a 21yd per catch average. Thats significant.

I’ll take the opinion of the locker room, it has a little more weight.

Where did I doubt in any way he is a great teammate and leader? Never.

We’re talking production on the field. The opinion of that isn’t decided by being a captain, it’s decided on the field. We still don’t know whether he can be the man yet. He had a great opportunity last year and didn’t take advantage. He has the physical gifts too, now we just have to see if he can. That’s what we’re waiting for. Simple stuff, this isn’t complicated.

Watching the game now. Had to work this weekend and only caught parts of it. Other than Alford’s drop, the WR are catching everything. I know it’s WMU, but they are playing great without OG out there. Okay, you can all go back to work now. I will let you know of anything else that impresses me. Lol.

Those guys have a lot of potential, but I’d like to see them against better competition before I say they’ll put fear in our opponents, again, what is wrong with that?
This is fair. I like this group so far more than I thought I would, though it's reasonable to want to see them perform against a higher caliber team before forming a more definitive opinion.

This is fair. I like this group so far more than I thought I would, though it's reasonable to want to see them perform against a higher caliber team before forming a more definitive opinion.
Isaiah Jones and Damien Alford both can come back next season too. Have those two along with Hatcher and Brown...Cuse is cooking.

Isaiah Jones and Damien Alford both can come back next season too. Have those two along with Hatcher and Brown...Cuse is cooking.
Really? I thought Alford was out of eligibility after this season.

And OG can too. Just saying. Might be necessary if he is out an extended period of time which seems likely.

That's great to hear as I hadn't looked at eligibility. I picked Jones in the Cali for most receptions and yards this year so I have high hopes.

That's great to hear as I hadn't looked at eligibility. I picked Jones in the Cali for most receptions and yards this year so I have high hopes.
Jones, Hatcher, and Brown in the top 66 in receiving yards.
Has Syracuse ever had that many players that high.

This is 100% accurate. It's also why the performance of the other Wrs has been very good to see so far as Alford has not performed as a starter and we seem to have the pieces to go in a different direction. He really should be used as a deep threat off the bench, the production just isn't there as a starter at this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom