Class of 2014 - WR Jamal Custis (PA) Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 WR Jamal Custis (PA) Offered

Rutgers has always recruited Fla., but got away from it the last few years. A lot of the Fla. kids set the stage for Rutgers success under Schiano. Rutgers now has 2 new coaches (from Fla.) with contacts in the area. They are just taking advantage of it. As for the B1G, Rutgers has been recruiting (with a little success) into Michigan, Minnesota and even Texas because of the B1G association. Btw, you can continue to talk crap if it makes you feel better. I'm not here to put SU down, but I'm here to talk football.

I'm just busting b@lls.

Custis coming on the 15th. Would really like to get this guy. He would be a great get. Phenomenal athlete, think he can be a real good player. Could thrive in our system. Hope he goes Orange.

Custis coming on the 15th. Would really like to get this guy. He would be a great get. Phenomenal athlete, think he can be a real good player. Could thrive in our system. Hope he goes Orange.

i don't think that was a confirmed date. he should be up eventually though. if we can convince him to play TE he could potentially be a dynamic player for us

i don't think that was a confirmed date. he should be up eventually though. if we can convince him to play TE he could potentially be a dynamic player for us

I want us to get him just because its another solid recruit from PA. We need to establish our presence with PSU limitations over the next 4 years. Do to them what Rutgers did to us in NJ during the GROB years. Rutgers made so much progress in Nj because they started landing those borderline first tier and strong second tier kids in the state that SU had been landing. We need to do that and do it NOW in PA. We have a golden opportunity here.

I want us to get him just because its another solid recruit from PA. We need to establish our presence with PSU limitations over the next 4 years. Do to them what Rutgers did to us in NJ during the GROB years. Rutgers made so much progress in Nj because they started landing those borderline first tier and strong second tier kids in the state that SU had been landing. We need to do that and do it NOW in PA. We have a golden opportunity here.
Rutgers made progress because Rutgers is the state school of NJ and they convinced kids it was worth it to stay home. Syracuse is not the state school of PA and will not be able to undo the decades of ingrained allegiance to PSU as the dominant preferred in state option. Will Syracuse benefit from the schollie limitations imposed on PSU the next couple of years? Of course. But hoping Syracuse will have some kind of lasting recruiting paradigm shift in PA because PSU is limited the next several years is foolish, in my opinion. Heck, PSU is even maintaining a surprisingly high level of recruiting in the midst of the sanctions.

Rutgers made progress because Rutgers is the state school of NJ and they convinced kids it was worth it to stay home. Syracuse is not the state school of PA and will not be able to undo the decades of ingrained allegiance to PSU as the dominant preferred in state option. Will Syracuse benefit from the schollie limitations imposed on PSU the next couple of years? Of course. But hoping Syracuse will have some kind of lasting recruiting paradigm shift in PA because PSU is limited the next several years is foolish, in my opinion. Heck, PSU is even maintaining a surprisingly high level of recruiting in the midst of the sanctions.

No. Rutgers made progress by successfully recruiting and landing recruits that Syracuse had formerly landed. We were 10-37 in the GROB years following up on 10-14 over P's last 2 seasons. Anything, even Rutgers, is better than that and that's exactly what they convinced those recruits of. 6 years of futility basically put us at a point of not recruiting NJ at all when 2-3 years before that period we were regularly landing 3-5 recruits a class from there including blue chippers. And that doesn't even count the downstate kids that Rutgers built their initial success around. Ray Rice and Courtney Greene were both SU commits.

Rutgers was able to parlay that into landing true NJ blue chippers because they now had a much larger presence in the state of NJ and specifically at the football feeder schools. That's exactly the approach that SU needs to take in PA now.

We're never going to "own" PA and I'm not suggesting that, but to be successful in the ACC and on a national level, PA has to be a feeder state for us and we need to be able to beat PSU out for recruits, sanctions or not. We have a golden opportunity right now to establish a strong presence there, and not to realize that or take advantage of it is foolish.

No. Rutgers made progress by successfully recruiting and landing recruits that Syracuse had formerly landed. We were 10-37 in the GROB years following up on 10-14 over P's last 2 seasons. Anything, even Rutgers, is better than that and that's exactly what they convinced those recruits of. 6 years of futility basically put us at a point of not recruiting NJ at all when 2-3 years before that period we were regularly landing 3-5 recruits a class from there including blue chippers. And that doesn't even count the downstate kids that Rutgers built their initial success around. Ray Rice and Courtney Greene were both SU commits.

Rutgers was able to parlay that into landing true NJ blue chippers because they now had a much larger presence in the state of NJ and specifically at the football feeder schools. That's exactly the approach that SU needs to take in PA now.

We're never going to "own" PA and I'm not suggesting that, but to be successful in the ACC and on a national label, PA has to be a feeder state for us and we need to be able to best PSU out for recruits, sanctions or not. We have a golden opportunity right now to establish a steon presence there, and not to realize that or take advantage of it is foolish.

not to mention before O'Brien lit a fire under them Ped St was teetering in slightly above mediocrity. I don't think O'Brien is there for the long haul. I get the feeling he is much more of a Marrone, then a Shafer type. If we can make an impact now while their are sanctions they could be a bad hire away from giving up some serious ground. Depending on how long O'Brien stays with the sanctions still having an effect there is no telling how a coaching search for them could turn out. I guess that's all hinged on O'Brien leaving, but like everyone said when Marrone was courted; You don't turn the NFL down.

Syracuse is looking at Custis as more of a hybrid tight end.

That would be a best case scenario IMO for us. If we bring in Custis to play a good deal of TE, then that means we could still take both Blake and Ishmael to play with KJ. Not that I necessarily think we can get all 4 guys, but it's nice to know that if we managed to get them all, we could indeed take them, as opposed to having to turn one (or more) away.

not to mention before O'Brien lit a fire under them Ped St was teetering in slightly above mediocrity. I don't think O'Brien is there for the long haul. I get the feeling he is much more of a Marrone, then a Shafer type. If we can make an impact now while their are sanctions they could be a bad hire away from giving up some serious ground. Depending on how long O'Brien stays with the sanctions still having an effect there is no telling how a coaching search for them could turn out. I guess that's all hinged on O'Brien leaving, but like everyone said when Marrone was courted; You don't turn the NFL down.

O'Brien will only be there until he see's an nfl gig he likes. He'll be gone in less than 3 seasons.

We're never going to "own" PA and I'm not suggesting that, but to be successful in the ACC and on a national level, PA has to be a feeder state for us and we need to be able to beat PSU out for recruits, sanctions or not. We have a golden opportunity right now to establish a strong presence there, and not to realize that or take advantage of it is foolish.

To be fair Rutgers is never going to own NJ either unless something drastic changes. Elite NJ talent still heads out of state. That being said there is a fair amount of "1a" talent in the tri state area that could be a solid foundation to build from.

I'm not sure you can focus on one main state to build an entire team at this point anyway. Different regions seem to produce different skill positions. Penn State, for example, got in trouble for trying to recruit too locally. End game, they would end up with excellent LB's, Oline, and Dline but never really have WR, DB's, or QB's with above average production.

That being said, I like our multi state approach, and specifically what skill positions we are filling from which areas.

That would be a best case scenario IMO for us. If we bring in Custis to play a good deal of TE, then that means we could still take both Blake and Ishmael to play with KJ. Not that I necessarily think we can get all 4 guys, but it's nice to know that if we managed to get them all, we could indeed take them, as opposed to having to turn one (or more) away.

I think we ultimately end up with all 4. If there is 1 we don't get it's Custis because he doesn't want to play TE.

To be fair Rutgers is never going to own NJ either unless something drastic changes. Elite NJ talent still heads out of state. That being said there is a fair amount of "1a" talent in the tri state area that could be a solid foundation to build from.

I'm not sure you can focus on one main state to build an entire team at this point anyway. Different regions seem to produce different skill positions. Penn State, for example, got in trouble for trying to recruit too locally. End game, they would end up with excellent LB's, Oline, and Dline but never really have WR, DB's, or QB's with above average production.

That being said, I like our multi state approach, and specifically what skill positions we are filling from which areas.
I agree focusing on one state isn't wise or productive. Other programs are quickly discovering that NYS isn't a recruiting black hole We need to create a dominance here but not alimitation on ourselves which SSand company are fully aware.

I think we ultimately end up with all 4. If there is 1 we don't get it's Custis because he doesn't want to play TE.

He'll be moved there eventually. He looks slow in his videos, at least not wr fast, not IMO

He'll be moved there eventually. He looks slow in his videos, at least not wr fast, not IMO

he said we are the only school recruiting him as a TE. I'm not sure he's thrilled about it, but if we can show him he has a much better shot at the NFL if he being an athletic TE, then a slower WR

he said we are the only school recruiting him as a TE. I'm not sure he's thrilled about it, but if we can show him he has a much better shot at the NFL if he being an athletic TE, then a slower WR

If the other schools are recruiting him at wr I think they're just telling him what he wants to hear. Just like buttgers recruited devan carter as a running back.

Early on I liked the prospect of Custis at 6-6 playing wr but I'm not sure anymore he's fast enough to do so at this level.

He reminds me of the batten kid we brought in.

If the other schools are recruiting him at wr I think they're just telling him what he wants to hear. Just like buttgers recruited devan carter as a running back.

Early on I liked the prospect of Custis at 6-6 playing wr but I'm not sure anymore he's fast enough to do so at this level.

Ya plus the staff must feel we are pretty set at WR. Cooper and KJ verbals. Great position with Blake and Ishmael. Batter, Custis, and Chris Clark are all basically the same player. You can see we are now looking for the more athletic receiver type TE's

We aren't going to "dominate" any state until SS and his staff prove themselves on the field. Its possible but highly unlikely we ever get into that position in recruiting. Pulling the top NY kids would be an accomplishment of extreme proportions.By doing that we may even be huge in NE again.:rolleyes:

He may not be fast, but if he catches the ball well at 6-6 he makes a great receiver to move the sticks, and that is the best thing for a strong running game. That also opens up the field for the deep ball.

I think that Batten was a pretty fast sprinter in florida

I would love to see that. That's going to get the playmaking receiver spot much improved.

And Custis may not want to be a TE, but I still see him as playing more of a non-traditional TE role, like when Dustin Keller was at Purdue, very limited blocker, spending a lot of time in the slot, and dominating in the redzone.

Jamal Custis@Jamal_Custis11 9m
Do you think u will commit to Cuse when u visit? — Most likely not