Class of 2017 - WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida

Unbelievable how character is pushed to the side because the kid's a good prospect. It should be and will be a hard pass from our staff.

So, you never smoked pot in HS or college? Or hung out with people who did? :rolleyes:

He's a witch!! BURN HIM!!! BURN HIM!!!!

However, given that part of the most recent NCAA issues were due to us not enforcing the moronic drug policy we weren't required to have om the first place (and that zero non-athlete college students are subject to), it may be a good idea to look elsewhere.
No matter how good a prospect he is.

Also as someone else said

Highly doubtful be brought it

Who hooked him up and why was this pushed to the forefront when many worse things get covered up by the local yocal fuzz.

Seems almost like this was a setup by OSU ...

So, you never smoked pot in HS or college? Or hung out with people who did? :rolleyes:

He's a witch!! BURN HIM!!! BURN HIM!!!!

However, given that part of the most recent NCAA issues were due to us not enforcing the moronic drug policy we weren't required to have om the first place (and that zero non-athlete college students are subject to), it may be a good idea to look elsewhere.
No matter how good a prospect he is.
Nothing to do with weed at all. I'm a firm supporter of legalization.

The rest of his character is the issue.

Nothing to do with weed at all. I'm a firm supporter of legalization.

The rest of his character is the issue.

Gotcha. Was worried that might be the case, and the weed was the least of the "issues" here.
Oh well.

If he's surrounded by some bad people maybe a change of scenery might be good for the kid. I can see it both ways though. I would like to believe giving a kid a chance and a fresh start to make some changes is a noble act. If he blows it, it's on him.

Make the offer and let the chips fall where they may
Seriously? Have you learned nothing these past 15 years? Remember Andrey Baskin, KJ Williams or Deandre Priester? This kid fits into the same category. The last (3) staffs wasted too many scholarships and time on these types of players. If he was worth the risk, he'd be at a top 25 program.

Props to the staff for not falling for these types of kids. Save the scholarship for the kid who has the maturity to play D-1 football.

Funny. Went camping with many OSU fans this weekend and one said he was on a flight from Columbus to Tampa and he saw an athletic 6'-4" guy with his mother. Looked at the name on his luggage and knew who it was. Was wondering why they looked so bummed after his visit and why his mom looked pissed. When the news broke he said that it all made sense.

I could care less that he smokes pot or that he's been an idiot just like 92% of his age group. I'm not a fan of him getting into it on a recruiting visit... but, when you want higher tier prospects in our current position, sometimes you gotta take 'em with a couple dings...

We've got roster space. If he doesn't grow up and deal with his responsibilities then he's going to have some more hard lessons ahead.

I wouldn't hesitate if it's somebody they think fits.
You mean like we tried to do with Averin Collier, Dom Timbers and even Ashton Broyld (not to mention Williams, Priester and Baskin that I already mentioned)?

It's not a coincidence that the previous staffs struck out on every one of these prospects. The only commonality between each of them was the level of immaturity that they each had.

It is about time we hired a staff who stopped wasting its time on kids who have had multiple chances but do not have what it takes to be D-1 student athletes. Talent cannot be the only requirement.

You mean like we tried to do with Averin Collier, Dom Timbers and even Ashton Broyld (not to mention Williams, Priester and Baskin that I already mentioned)?

It's not a coincidence that the previous staffs struck out on every one of these prospects. The only commonality between each of them was the level of immaturity that they each had.

It is about time we hired a staff who stopped wasting its time on kids who have had multiple chances but do not have what it takes to be D-1 student athletes. Talent cannot be the only requirement.
This is so short sighted. 5/6 athletes over a 10-yr swath? Completely bogus. Especially since Broyld was essentially a career contributor/starter and Collier certainly could've been as well had he not essentially walked away from the game. Do you know how many other borderline guys we took that did pan out? No? Because that #'s much larger than the other.

PS - non qualifiers aren't synonymous with SU and never will be.

The sheer amount of Student-Athletes who smoke marijuana now would stagger people who hold these beliefs.

But good to know that you can have all of these individuals figured out without ever having a conversation with them or knowing their history.

If you think that the big time recruits going to big time schools don't have issues, you're completely misguided.

Last edited:
This is so short sighted. 5/6 athletes over a 10-yr swath? Completely bogus. Especially since Broyld was essentially a career contributor/starter and Collier certainly could've been as well had he not essentially walked away from the game. PS - non qualifiers aren't synonymous with SU and never will be.

The sheer amount of Student-Athletes who smoke marijuana now would stagger people who hold these beliefs.

But good to know that you can have all of these individuals figured out without ever having a conversation with them or knowing their history.

If you think that the big time recruits going to big time schools don't have issues, you're completely misguided.

Or I simply took the highest "rated" players that this program has had signed/committed these past 10 years. Immaturity comes in many forms, doesn't only mean an issue with weed. Could be grades, level of commitment, etc.

Newsflash on Collier, he didn't just "walk away" from this program.

Again, not judging these kids but not every talented kid with football potential is cut out to be a student athlete. It's about time we had a staff who didn't ignore the red flags just because he is a 4 star talent.

Or I simply took the highest "rated" players that this program has had signed/committed these past 10 years. Immaturity comes in many forms, doesn't only mean an issue with weed. Could be grades, level of commitment, etc.

Newsflash on Collier, he didn't just "walk away" from this program.

Again, not judging these kids but not every talented kid with football potential is cut out to be a student athlete. It's about time we had a staff who didn't ignore the red flags just because he is a 4 star talent.
Obviously immaturity comes in many forms, weed was the example pertaining to this recruit that I used. Thanks for the newsflash.

You're right, they're not all cut out to be student athletes. Which is exactly why the VAST majority haven't been for decades. When was the last time 30k showed up for a science experiment?

This staff's job security hinges on the ability to win games. That's reality, that's how they're graded.

Oh, team GPA is 3.0 in bogus classes, awesome! Won 3 games though? K, you're fired.

You want student athletes, cheer for Princeton. You want a winner? You take chances on "immature" kids.

Immature kids coming from poverty stricken and broken homes. Immature kids going to a school that's "education" is laughable in comparison to the VAST majority of collegiate students. Immature kids who only have access to money by doing things nobody would want to in order to feed themselves.

"Student" for most of these athletes is a fallacy perpetuated by years and years of capitalization off of their talents.

Don't give me this righteous crap about the student athlete we want representing Syracuse because we've swung and missed while reaching before. If that's the case, I want a whole lot more cheering for our academic all Americans and a lot less leaving at half when we're down 21.

You guys must be high. I would bet 80% of all college players have either broken the rules with alcohol or marijuana

Obviously immaturity comes in many forms, weed was the example pertaining to this recruit that I used. Thanks for the newsflash.

You're right, they're not all cut out to be student athletes. Which is exactly why the VAST majority haven't been for decades. When was the last time 30k showed up for a science experiment?

This staff's job security hinges on the ability to win games. That's reality, that's how they're graded.

Oh, team GPA is 3.0 in bogus classes, awesome! Won 3 games though? K, you're fired.

You want student athletes, cheer for Princeton. You want a winner? You take chances on "immature" kids.

Immature kids coming from poverty stricken and broken homes. Immature kids going to a school that's "education" is laughable in comparison to the VAST majority of collegiate students. Immature kids who only have access to money by doing things nobody would want to in order to feed themselves.

"Student" for most of these athletes is a fallacy perpetuated by years and years of capitalization off of their talents.

Don't give me this righteous crap about the student athlete we want representing Syracuse because we've swung and missed while reaching before. If that's the case, I want a whole lot more cheering for our academic all Americans and a lot less leaving at half when we're down 21.
Serious question, how many of our highest rated recruits met expectations within past 10-15 years? 2-3? How many never made it or were removed from the program before they ever contributed? Too many to count.

You're right, it's the coaches job to win games. Which is the same reason why we are on our 4th staff in 15 years. Too much time and energy wasted on these same types of players. To much time wasted on the 4 star talent with 30+ "offers" but only 1 commitable offer to a P5 school.

Never said we need a team full of academic all Americans. However, I also don't want a team full of talented kids who can't be held accountable. We've been burned too many times.

For the record, I attend every home game and stay till the end, win or lose by 21.

I think it would be crazy to just pass on a kid like this, being him up for a visit, sit him down and talk to him. If the coaches think he's worth the shot than so be it but I am certainly not going to say he isn't because he has had a tough few years or upbringing or keeping bad company. Syracuse will never get any better without better talent don't care who the coach is.

Weed? Please Keeping bad company? head 1,000 miles North to Syracuse see if you can leave them behind. Worth a shot.

I will never understand the mentality.

This thread:
glasshouses300.jpg

Unbelievable how character is pushed to the side because the kid's a good prospect. It should be and will be a hard pass from our staff.
Do tell. What character issues?

Depending on what else is in his background that bnoro is referring to, I wouldn't rule him out. If Dino meets him and thinks he's worth a shot, I'm okay with that even if it has to be a zero tolerance thing.

Serious question, how many of our highest rated recruits met expectations within past 10-15 years? 2-3? How many never made it or were removed from the program before they ever contributed? Too many to count.

You're right, it's the coaches job to win games. Which is the same reason why we are on our 4th staff in 15 years. Too much time and energy wasted on these same types of players. To much time wasted on the 4 star talent with 30+ "offers" but only 1 commitable offer to a P5 school.

Never said we need a team full of academic all Americans. However, I also don't want a team full of talented kids who can't be held accountable. We've been burned too many times.

For the record, I attend every home game and stay till the end, win or lose by 21.
You're right about certain things, but, having non-qualifiers and kids who don't reach their potential happens at every school in the country at some point. I just fundamentally disagree with your stance. IMO you're painting with too broad a brush.

And I appreciate that you're one of us 5,000 that are there throughout.

Star Lakeland WR and major recruit cited for possession of pot

Star Lakeland WR and major recruit cited for possession of pot

Saturday
Posted Jan 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM Updated Jan 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM

By Ray Beasock The Ledger
Highly-touted Lakeland High School wide receiver/defensive back James Robinson was cited for possession of marijuana while on an official recruiting visit to Ohio State University last weekend, according to a police report obtained by The Ledger on Saturday.

Robinson, 19, was cited on Jan. 21 by Columbus police Officer Gary Patterson and issued a ticket for $93. Robinson's arraignment in court was twice postponed because he had returned to his home in Lakeland, according to a court document. It is now scheduled for March 1.

A Twitter post to Robinson's page said, "I want to apologize for embarrassing myself, family, teammates, school community and those that support me."

A four-star recruit, Robinson is a highly sought after player by colleges across the country. Ohio State was just one of many offers Robinson is considering ahead of National Signing Day on Wednesday. Robinson is also considering the University of Florida and most experts are predicting that he'll make the Gators his choice.

Robinson is listed as the nation's No. 14 wide receiver prospect and No. 21 out of all recruits in Florida by 247Sports' composite rankings.

As a senior wide receiver for Lakeland High School this past season, Robinson caught 43 passes for 816 yards and eight touchdowns. Robinson also played defensive back and was named First Team All-County by Polkpreps.com last year.

Robinson also participated in the Under Armour All-America Game at Camping World Stadium earlier this month.

Gary Patterson moonlighting as a Columbus cop to screw up our recruiting. We'll remember this Gary is we ever play TCU.