Class of 2017 - WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida

You're right about certain things, but, having non-qualifiers and kids who don't reach their potential happens at every school in the country at some point. I just fundamentally disagree with your stance. IMO you're painting with too broad a brush.

And I appreciate that you're one of us 5,000 that are there throughout.

I respect your opinion as well. Just tired of missing on our most talented prospects year after year. Hate seeing the same theme with our recruiting classes and hope this staff can finally attract the talent that will not only get us to the next level but will be with players that this program can depend on.

Nothing to do with weed at all. I'm a firm supporter of legalization.

The rest of his character is the issue.
Are you saying that he is a bad apple? Because, maybe he would benefit from being around our high caliber players, I am rationalizing, I know. But, some might say that one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

Nope. Rumors he's mixed up with some bad people. If we cut BJ loose because of that, I don't think we'd want anything to do with him.

Can't get further removed from Florida than Syracuse. Maybe the problems stay in FL?

2/47Sports
broke the news Monday evening that four-star wide receiver James Robinson (Lakeland, Fla.) is no longer a take for Florida.

Robinson was a longtime lean to the Gators.

He was cited for possession of marijuana two weekends ago on an official visit to Ohio State.

Since learning of this development, many staffs reached out to Lakeland, Fla.’s coaches expressing interest.

One Lakeland staffer received 68 calls in four hours regarding Robinson.

Virginia Tech, Washington State, FAU and USF were the schools that called the most.

Marshall, Utah and UCF also reached out Monday evening multiple times as did Ole Miss.

Robinson officially visited Oklahoma, Florida and Ohio State. He has two more official visits left.

The plan as of this morning is for Robinson likely not to sign tomorrow on National Signing Day.

As he could take his final two trips before he signs.

Serious question, how many of our highest rated recruits met expectations within past 10-15 years? 2-3? How many never made it or were removed from the program before they ever contributed? Too many to count.

You're right, it's the coaches job to win games. Which is the same reason why we are on our 4th staff in 15 years. Too much time and energy wasted on these same types of players. To much time wasted on the 4 star talent with 30+ "offers" but only 1 commitable offer to a P5 school.

Never said we need a team full of academic all Americans. However, I also don't want a team full of talented kids who can't be held accountable. We've been burned too many times.

For the record, I attend every home game and stay till the end, win or lose by 21.

I don't see the downside if the staff thinks they can get him on campus and keep him out of trouble. If we don't, we still have a very solid WR class and the top end guys are already here or look to be in good standing academically.

I forget. Did SU ever revise or eliminate the non-required drug policy?

He's a stud and really is too bad what happened. Some rumors that he was with a group of current OSU players when the incident occurred. Urban, and everyone in football really, knew he was a Gator all the way so Urban used him as a scapegoat to look tough on discipline while letting his current guys off the hook.

Kid comes from a real, real tough background who always dreamed of playing for Florida. Real sad that his dream got taken away so close to NSD.

If he ends up in the program he has the physical ability to be a monster for us.
Did urban set him up with the cops?

Hope Nick Monroe and Dino close out this deal and if Marshall and/or BG are the teams to beat for his services, I like are chances here. The ACC and playing against FSU, Clemson and Miami should be the deciding factor for Mr. Robinson.

There's always going to be inherent hypocrisy when it comes to athletes committing infractions. As in, people look the other way / guys often get second chances that they otherwise might not get due to their athletic ability. On the other hand, in a world with 24 hour media and obsession over sports coverage, athletes sometimes get unfairly held to a different and higher standard than most everybody else.

If the coaches are OK with bringing him in, that's good enough for me. And if they feel that his character issues are too big of a concern, then I'm fine with that as well. But I would hope that we don't just turn our noses up in the air over some weed. If there's more to the story, then that might be a different story -- but ultimately that's the coaching staff's call.

Did urban set him up with the cops?

I'm obviously not implying Urban invited him up to Columbus from Florida specifically to plan a sting operation and derail the kid's future. Just saying I heard that Robinson was in a group that included current OSU players when the incident occurred. Robinson was cited, the current players were not. If Urban wanted to get Robinson out of there scratch free he would be, but he didn't.

Just relaying what I heard.

Last edited:
Some people seem to be missing the point, and hung up on the fact that it was "just a little weed." While marajuana in itself is probably not a big deal, the fact that this kid has a huge opportunity that 99.99% of the population will never have, and he's still foolish enough to possess and/or use marajuana, is the bigger picture. If he can't keep his nose clean when it matter most, the staff probably have little faith he can keep his nose clean when he is set free into the world, and will be surrounded by more temptations. Another thing to note, is that we don't know the whole story. It's possible that possessing the weed, is the tip of the ice-burg. Perhaps the staff got wind of the kind of company he keeps, when this came to light. Perhaps it was a bit of the "you hang with dogs,you get fleas" thought. Who knows?

Some people seem to be missing the point, and hung up on the fact that it was "just a little weed." While marajuana in itself is probably not a big deal, the fact that this kid has a huge opportunity that 99.99% of the population will never have, and he's still foolish enough to possess and/or use marajuana, is the bigger picture. If he can't keep his nose clean when it matter most, the staff probably have little faith he can keep his nose clean when he is set free into the world, and will be surrounded by more temptations. Another thing to note, is that we don't know the whole story. It's possible that possessing the weed, is the tip of the ice-burg. Perhaps the staff got wind of the kind of company he keeps, when this came to light. Perhaps it was a bit of the "you hang with dogs,you get fleas" thought. Who knows?
I think it is worth it for the coaches to reach out and make their own evaluations.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or don't believe he wouldn't try sneaking pot onto his flight. Adults, including athletes and politicians get caught pretty regularly trying to bring guns or knives in their luggage.

Any word on his actual recruitment - OV, Twitter activity or level of interest from either side?

I'm obviously not implying Urban invited him up to Columbus from Florida specifically to plan a sting operation and derail the kid's future. Just saying I heard that Robinson was in a group that included current OSU players when the incident occurred. Robinson was cited, the current players were not. If Urban wanted to get Robinson out of there scratch free he would be, but he didn't.

Just relaying what I heard.
There was a bit of sarcasm there,but I don't think Urban used him as a scape goat. It was off campus party and not all cops might not play by Urban's rules.He had it on him so the cops nailed him.If happened on campus yeah most likely.I highly doubt the cops called Urban first before a citation was written.

But the kid did tweet this though.....Recruit cited for marijuana possession during Ohio State visit before National Signing Day

Shortly after his arrest, he tweeted that “OSU PLAYERS DO SO MUCH DRUGS,” something he then deleted.

Now why isn't this making the news though?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or don't believe he wouldn't try sneaking pot onto his flight. Adults, including athletes and politicians get caught pretty regularly trying to bring guns or knives in their luggage.

very true. i was initially skeptical but at the same time wouldn't surprise me.

There was a bit of sarcasm there,but I don't think Urban used him as a scape goat. It was off campus party and not all cops might not play by Urban's rules.He had it on him so the cops nailed him.If happened on campus yeah most likely.I highly doubt the cops called Urban first before a citation was written.

But the kid did tweet this though...Recruit cited for marijuana possession during Ohio State visit before National Signing Day

Shortly after his arrest, he tweeted that “OSU PLAYERS DO SO MUCH DRUGS,” something he then deleted.

Now why isn't this making the news though?
Because it's just 1 teenage kid who said OSU players do drugs. I'm not sure any credible news source would run a story like that based on 1 source.

Somebody needs to take this kid's twitter account away. (Just half kidding.)