Class of 2017 - WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR James Robinson (FL) Committed to Florida

Some people seem to be missing the point, and hung up on the fact that it was "just a little weed." While marajuana in itself is probably not a big deal, the fact that this kid has a huge opportunity that 99.99% of the population will never have, and he's still foolish enough to possess and/or use marajuana, is the bigger picture. If he can't keep his nose clean when it matter most, the staff probably have little faith he can keep his nose clean when he is set free into the world, and will be surrounded by more temptations. Another thing to note, is that we don't know the whole story. It's possible that possessing the weed, is the tip of the ice-burg. Perhaps the staff got wind of the kind of company he keeps, when this came to light. Perhaps it was a bit of the "you hang with dogs,you get fleas" thought. Who knows?
oh please. It was a recruiting visit. Alcohol use for anyone under 21 is against the law. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that the vast majority of these high school seniors on a recruiting visit aren't drinking? Or, that should said high school senior on a recruiting visit be caught drinking, that it would be evidence that he can't keep his nose clean when he is set free into the world?

You are waaaaayyyy over interpreting this incident. That isn't to say there may not be character risks for this kid. Other posters have insinuated there are other things lurking in the background. But if the evidence is solely a kid was found to have marijuana on him at a college party, then I think it is a bit overwrought to draw sweeping conclusions about the kid's character.

I will say that during my time on the hill I was out at a bar and a then-recruit was absolutely black out at Chuck's at 17 or 18 years old. We should have turned him away for such terrible behavior!

I will say that during my time on the hill I was out at a bar and a then-recruit was absolutely black out at Chuck's at 17 or 18 years old. We should have turned him away for such terrible behavior!
So he came to SU?

Had to be Fab Melo, right?

Haha no no - current MBB player but that's all I'll say. I was at SU from '12-'16 - the point is that kids do things that adults will not be pleased with. They are kids. Kids can be taught to be men in a short time period. If Dino likes a kid I'm confident he can work with him.

Who said anything about evaluating him in one day?
I'm assuming it would be in 1 day since they will have limited time to evaluate a kid post signing day.

oh please. It was a recruiting visit. Alcohol use for anyone under 21 is against the law. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that the vast majority of these high school seniors on a recruiting visit aren't drinking? Or, that should said high school senior on a recruiting visit be caught drinking, that it would be evidence that he can't keep his nose clean when he is set free into the world?

You are waaaaayyyy over interpreting this incident. That isn't to say there may not be character risks for this kid. Other posters have insinuated there are other things lurking in the background. But if the evidence is solely a kid was found to have marijuana on him at a college party, then I think it is a bit overwrought to draw sweeping conclusions about the kid's character.
The difference, is that a precedent has been set. Athletes cited for drinking under 21 is rarely heard of. The athlete knows that, and the cops do too. How many times have you heard of a player being suspended, or arrested for drinking underage? Possessing marajuana is a different story, no matter what your opinion is of pot vs. alcohol. I can recall many athletes being cited, arrested, suspended etc. for testing poitive for weed, or possessing it. So to choose to do that seems really foolish to me.

I was one of those other posters. My suspicions were that when this came to light, the staff may have also been told that he surrounds himself with idiots.

I'm assuming it would be in 1 day since they will have limited time to evaluate a kid post signing day.
They have time to review game film and make countless calls to his coach. But, lets face it, as a player, he is obviously someone we would want, so the coaches have to call any and all of their contacts that know the kid to quickly figure out if he would be worth the risk. And then, if they extend an offer, hopefully he accepts, because despite this transgression, the kid will have options, albeit not on the level he once had.

Are we hearing from anyone that he's showing any interest at all?

I was at the party where Brandon Sharpe and Shamarko Thomas were brought when they visited campus when I was a freshman. Neither one drank or smoked. Some kids can have fun without.

I was at several parties while at UB where Khalil Mack and Brandon Oliver (LA Chargers RB) showed up. Both politely turned down drink offers and managed to still be a lot of fun while simply sipping water. Those kids were 100% football 24/7. Would go to parties and still be up at 6 in the morning running hills between the freshman dorms and North Campus. Incredible.

Doesn't have to do with recruit visits, but your comment just reminded me of that.

A lot of recruits/players are strictly business. Their whole lives centered around performing on the field and striving to the next level.

Because it's just 1 teenage kid who said OSU players do drugs. I'm not sure any credible news source would run a story like that based on 1 source.
Hmmm Buzzfeed says hello

I was at several parties while at UB where Khalil Mack and Brandon Oliver (LA Chargers RB) showed up. Both politely turned down drink offers and managed to still be a lot of fun while simply sipping water. Those kids were 100% football 24/7. Would go to parties and still be up at 6 in the morning running hills between the freshman dorms and North Campus. Incredible.

Doesn't have to do with recruit visits, but your comment just reminded me of that.

A lot of recruits/players are strictly business. Their whole lives centered around performing on the field and striving to the next level.
I used to see Shamarko pushing tires around South Campus all the time. He was one of the ones you could tell wanted the next level more than anyone.

And then you had guys like EJ Carter driving their hummer intoxicated on South Campus putting people at risk at 2am.

I used to see Shamarko pushing tires around South Campus all the time. He was one of the ones you could tell wanted the next level more than anyone.

And then you had guys like EJ Carter driving their hummer intoxicated on South Campus putting people at risk at 2am.

Yep, had 2nd stringers and some of the OL try to show up to our fraternity parties hammered and tried to start fights with the whole street when no one would let them in the houses. Poor form.

Haha no no - current MBB player but that's all I'll say. I was at SU from '12-'16 - the point is that kids do things that adults will not be pleased with. They are kids. Kids can be taught to be men in a short time period. If Dino likes a kid I'm confident he can work with him.
Then it was obviously Lydon. For shame, Tyler!

florida must have changed their mind then.
They were really short on offensive talent in this class and ended up taking both him and Adarius Lemons.

I bet Mac will get bitten sooner or later...