Class of 2024 - WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC

My position is that we aren't going to use all available scholarships on HS prospects anymore. Some will be held in reserve to see what's out there in the portal. And that whichever side of the line Syair eventually lands is up to him.

And if Syair opts to go somewhere else, then there 100% won't be a scholarship held in reserve for him.

yes, if he goes somewhere else, he will not be coming to syracuse. if he has a change of heart last minute, i think we'd figure it out. it always does. bottom line, if im syair, im not overly worried about a scholarship not being available. just my two cents.

And, Money, I bet that's the exact question that Dino asked Syair before the decommit. Syair said his decision was based on a conversation with Babers.

I don't believe that this was a unilateral decision by any one party ...it sounds more like a mutual understanding ..."Hey, Syair, if you are not sure, then no need to rush a commitment. We want guys to commit when they are all in ...take your time and see what else is out there if that's what you need to do"
I would lean torwards that type of convo myself. Good point.

BC lost their highest commit today. 4 star Wr Keondre Henry

From their mod

"So I’ve been talking to folks and got the lowdown.

Henry never told BC he was taking a visit to Purdue and was asked about it, instead saying he was at his HS. BC was not going to fight him on taking an OV, just wanted him to be upfront, he was not.

BC found out and pulled his offer for this"

From their mod

Henry never told BC he was taking a visit to Purdue and was asked about it, instead saying he was at his HS. BC was not going to fight him on taking an OV, just wanted him to be upfront, he was not.

I respect their decision

From their mod

Wonder if Purdue feels like they didnt seal the deal with our visitor this past week

From their mod

If he’s willing to winter in Boston maybe he’s willing to winter in Syracuse. :)

ok, my position is we'd always have a spot for him based on his talent, him being a local kid, him having a potential to play multiple positions, and how these roster situations always seem to work themselves out. your position is you think we would deny him a spot based on roster numbers. i doubt it, but agree to disagree.
I think many here overvalue him being local. I put more value in him being coached by a former SU player. That said, his talent is not so great that MSU wants him at WR. They want to make him a DB, so living in Syracuse shouldn't somehow trump that and suddenly make him a better WR recruit, for us or for anybody. I have not seen him play, so I can't comment on what he really can do, but I'm unsure that he is a sure thing, and especially not at WR simply because of where he's from. That said, if we want him I hope we land him.

I think many here overvalue him being local. I put more value in him being coached by a former SU player. That said, his talent is not so great that MSU wants him at WR. They want to make him a DB, so living in Syracuse shouldn't somehow trump that and suddenly make him a better WR recruit, for us or for anybody. I have not seen him play, so I can't comment on what he really can do, but I'm unsure that he is a sure thing, and especially not at WR simply because of where he's from. That said, if we want him I hope we land him.
I’ve seen him close up. I can see why Mich st like him at DB. He has a thick body type. I would probably play him at safety but he is capable of being a good Wr as well. I don’t think he’s a sure thing either but not getting his commitment would look bad for perception. He’s right down the road.

I’ve seen him close up. I can see why Mich st like him at DB. He has a thick body type. I would probably play him at safety but he is capable of being a good Wr as well. I don’t think he’s a sure thing either but not getting his commitment would look bad for perception. He’s right down the road.
We will be fine either way. Some kids want to experience a new environment.

Thanks for the assessment. I know it’s rough to see one get away, but as kcsu said above, some kids just want to get out a bit and experience the world.

We will be fine either way. Some kids want to experience a new environment.
I can just imagine kids from Columbus, Ann Arbor, Eastern Pa...etc not going to tOSU, Michigan, or PSU because they want to experience a new environment. Torrence should have a spot if he wants to come here. Perception wise you have to take kids from your own background, especially since they don't grow on trees, and we are trying to re-establish ourselves in the northeast.

I hate to be a downer but Winter in Boston is more fun. I have done both and it is not close. Now Fall in both places is very nice.
There is much better skiing near Boston than near Syracuse. Sorry.

I can just imagine kids from Columbus, Ann Arbor, Eastern Pa...etc not going to tOSU, Michigan, or PSU because they want to experience a new environment. Torrence should have a spot if he wants to come here. Perception wise you have to take kids from your own background, especially since they don't grow on trees, and we are trying to re-establish ourselves in the northeast.
Okay, but what happens when you land higher rated players than the locals? That's the way this is trending.

Okay, but what happens when you land higher rated players than the locals? That's the way this is trending.
Some are quiet when SU gets a higher rated commitment from out of state but are vocal when we don’t land a guy in our territory. They don’t realize fans in those other states are pissed they are going to SU?

Some are quiet when SU gets a higher rated commitment from out of state but are vocal when we don’t land a guy in our territory. They don’t realize fans in those other states are pissed they are going to SU?
This. I'd like Syair but Willy Love is a better DB prospect and Jason Robinson and Jamie Tremble are better pass catching prospects. And all of them would be "spurning" local teams to come to Cuse.

You misread my post. Of course we would give him a scholarship if he picked SU. My point had nothing to do with SU not giving him a ship.

If Syair is legit, as money3189 says, then you have to analyze if his position projection and talent merit saving or finding a spot. To get him that way, we may have to lose another now, or later. My questioning is less about the staff evaluation of Syair or any individual player.

I’m sorry, but I just don’t see being so deferential to the Syracuse area which is where as you say, legitimate D1 options “don’t grow on trees”. I think not getting in the top 7 of the best player in NY says a lot more. I think the best talent in the state in terms of consistent volume of talent, has been “downstate” for the past 20 years. We need to hold spots for them if we have a shot. That was Gross’s pitch with “NY’s College Team”. Marrone made some things happen as a Bronx native. Shafer benefited from some carry over, but Babers ignored the area his first 3-4 years. White dragged Swag and brought us back into NYC and now we have Campanile keeping that alive.

We have historically found some good talent in the Syracuse area, but the last player from the area I remember staying home and making the front page was because he attacked 2-3 of his teammates. Show me “the one that got away” in all the time Babers has been coach. I’m not sure why our program owes it to the area to mortgage scholarships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom