Class of 2024 - WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC

MSU:

lawn.jpg

I think if Syair wants to go to Syracuse his scholarship will be there for him. He has plenty of time to sort through it. Just the way Dino operates and him being local and everything that goes with it. CBA has some a few more D1 kids coming as well. And I don't necessarily agree with it, I don't really care where they recruit just bring in the kids they feel will help the program but he's high on the list. They may take more Wr's than they anticipated and can backfill later with all the movement that now takes place every year.

I can't see them pressuring him to commit at any time. Not Dino's style and they have been recruiting him for at least 2.5 years now. He's a great kid and the type you want in your program

It’s simple, Syair committed but wasn’t acting 100% committed. Dino laying down the law now days that we are not a fall back school where you commit to us as a safety net then try and reel in “bigger fish”. I absolutely love that approach. The way dino is I’m sure he explained to him on his visit what the deal is. I’m guessing syair commented on committing soon due to us probably drawing that timeline . I’m sure Dino said we can’t wait through the fall the spot will be closed. Just speculating

It’s simple, Syair committed but wasn’t acting 100% committed. Dino laying down the law now days that we are not a fall back school where you commit to us as a safety net then try and reel in “bigger fish”. I absolutely love that approach. The way dino is I’m sure he explained to him on his visit what the deal is. I’m guessing syair commented on committing soon due to us probably drawing that timeline . I’m sure Dino said we can’t wait through the fall the spot will be closed. Just speculating
I would be happy with that, if true. If you want to be a big boy, you need to act like a big boy.

For the record, I’ve only criticized Franklin for contacting an alleged rape victim that involved some of his Vandy players and of course, taking a job at Penn State.
Franklin was a slimeball before be ever step foot on PSU’s campus. But his activity during that rape case should have resulted in charges against him.

Franklin was a slimeball before be ever step foot on PSU’s campus. But his activity during that rape case should have resulted in charges against him.
Completely agree. It makes his taking the job at PSU someone serendipitous.

Yep, I am no lawyer but tampering and intimidation sure seemed like fine charges to hit that scumbag with

Its actually very black and white. Dont give a player a scholarship offer without it being a firm offer. Let the player know anything about conditions surrounding the offer.
Example. We have 2 spots left for a ... we have three offers out. The first to commit is in. If someone commits first your offer is no longer valid.
As to the recruit its black and white. Once you commit dont take any more visits. If you do please know that your offer is no longer valid unless we re offer you.

Its actually very black and white. Dont give a player a scholarship offer without it being a firm offer. Let the player know anything about conditions surrounding the offer.
Example. We have 2 spots left for a ... we have three offers out. The first to commit is in. If someone commits first your offer is no longer valid.
As to the recruit its black and white. Once you commit dont take any more visits. If you do please know that your offer is no longer valid unless we re offer you.
I still don’t like that approach. I don’t know why you need to pull the offer. I just don’t consider them a commit at that point. They are just still weighing their options like any of the other offers you have out. That’s how I’d deal with it.

I still don’t like that approach. I don’t know why you need to pull the offer. I just don’t consider them a commit at that point. They are just still weighing their options like any of the other offers you have out. That’s how I’d deal with it.
Schools have limited scholarships. They need to manage a roster, they have a staff and entire team to think about. If a kid accepts a scholarship Dino needs to take that as a fact and run his program accordingly. If the kid isnt rock solid Dinos responsibility is to his team, his players, and his employer. Not the kid that he cant depend on.

I thought I had read that Dino encourages players to take visits if they aren’t ready to commit. I assume that he wants players to commit, only if they are fully committed so he knows what and who he has available spots for. The players and the coaches shouldn’t play games - both should be fully committed or both should still be looking. Other programs may define commitments differently. I’m certain Dino is pretty clear about his program’s definition, mutual expectations when talking to players about offers and committments.

I think if Syair wants to go to Syracuse his scholarship will be there for him. He has plenty of time to sort through it. Just the way Dino operates and him being local and everything that goes with it. CBA has some a few more D1 kids coming as well. And I don't necessarily agree with it, I don't really care where they recruit just bring in the kids they feel will help the program but he's high on the list. They may take more Wr's than they anticipated and can backfill later with all the movement that now takes place every year.

I can't see them pressuring him to commit at any time. Not Dino's style and they have been recruiting him for at least 2.5 years now. He's a great kid and the type you want in your program
Local players are better positioned for all parties if they commit early for all sides a la Tim Greene than commit later.

Expand...
SYAIR TORRENCE 2024 WR/CB CHRISTIAN BROTHERS ACADEMY, SYRACUSE, NY
#10 5' 11" 185 4.5 40

ASSETS HUDL FILM:

CATCHES THE BALL
NICE VJ
FAST
GREAT HANDS
SOPH SEASON
12 GAMES
69 REC
785 YDS
12 TDS
4 INTS
CLASS A STATE CHAMPS

GREAT OFFER HOPEFULLY WE RETAIN HIS COMMITTEMENT

Attachments

• 1687405750271.gif
    1687405750271.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 37

This is right, lots of talk about there being better players that may take his spot yet every year we seem to have spots open. So is Syracuse turning down a 4* wr from a local program that is clearly a take based on talent. The answer is noway and no how. Just isnt going to happen. We aint Bama.

He was all set with a scholarship to his dream school and decided to get slick and check out some other schools.

I hope he doesn’t screw his recruitment up completely here and end up having to go somewhere like Rutgers or UConn or Temple.

I think he is a good player and could help us but with the portal, opportunities for HS players are more limited and things change fast. It is dangerous to be out there doing musical chairs for the last scholarships at your position.

You would think Symir would be helping him with this.

He could help better if he was still here. But he left and has been replaced by someone who may be a better player. That should be a lesson.

This is right, lots of talk about there being better players that may take his spot yet every year we seem to have spots open. So is Syracuse turning down a 4* wr from a local program that is clearly a take based on talent. The answer is noway and no how. Just isnt going to happen. We aint Bama.

Only he's not a 4-star.

Your straw man position also overlooks that this situation was created by the player. He's the one who wants to look elsewhere, so it has nothing to do with him being a "take." He's the one who wanted to re-open his recruiting process after committing earlier; if he opts for MSU, or elsewhere, the choice is HIS.

But the bottom line is, he isn't a make or break recruit. Perhaps he would be if he was the top WR on our recruiting board, but he isn't. We're on solid ground with a bunch of receivers who are at least on par with his recruiting ranking, with several being ACTUAL 4-stars who are rated higher.

So if Torrence wants to come here, great. He's legit P5, and it's always nice to add local recruits when we can. But the options aren't Torrence at WR or bust. If we land some combination of 2 or more of Tremble, Robinson, or Williams -- then all of this hand wringing will be pointless. Halfway there.

Last edited:
He was all set with a scholarship to his dream school and decided to get slick and check out some other schools.

I hope he doesn’t screw his recruitment up completely here and end up having to go somewhere like Rutgers or UConn or Temple.

I think he is a good player and could help us but with the portal, opportunities for HS players are more limited and things change fast. It is dangerous to be out there doing musical chairs for the last scholarships at your position.

You would think Symir would be helping him with this.

Spot on.

It's also fair to ask recruits if they really are committed and if they want to see what else is out there. Im sure every coach has asked that before.

And, Money, I bet that's the exact question that Dino asked Syair before the decommit. Syair said his decision was based on a conversation with Babers.

I don't believe that this was a unilateral decision by any one party ...it sounds more like a mutual understanding ..."Hey, Syair, if you are not sure, then no need to rush a commitment. We want guys to commit when they are all in ...take your time and see what else is out there if that's what you need to do"

Only he's not a 4-star.

Your straw man position also overlooks that this situation was created by the player. He's the one who wants to look elsewhere, so it has nothing to do with him being a "take." He's the one who wanted to re-open his recruiting process after committing earlier; if he opts for MSU, or elsewhere, the choice is HIS.

But the bottom line is, he isn't a make or break recruit. Perhaps he would be if he was the top WR on our recruiting board, but he isn't. We're on solid ground with a bunch of receivers who are at least on par with his recruiting ranking, with several being ACTUAL 4-stars who are rated higher.

So if Torrence wants to come here, great. He's legit P5, and it's always nice to add local recruits when we can. But the options aren't Torrence at WR or bust. If we land some combination of 2 or more of Tremble, Robinson, or Williams -- then all of this hand wringing will be pointless. Halfway there.

Except I never argued he was a make or break recruit, so I really don't get your post. All I said was I think we will always have a spot for him. Whether he's a high three star or four star on some recruiting site, doesn't change my opinion. Nothing you have said is actually responsive to that point.

Except I never argued he was a make or break recruit, so I really don't get your post. All I said was I think we will always have a spot for him. Nothing you have said is actually responsive to that point.

Here's the post I responded to:

jgeorge322 said:

And here's what I responded to from said post: he isn't a 4-star, we aren't "turning him down," and we have higher rated guys in the pipeline -- so we might NOT "always have a spot for him." Not the way the class is filling up, and the need to keep a large # of scholarships open to focus on portal transfers.

That's what it has to do with your point.

Whether we have a spot for him will be predicated on who else we land. Nothing against Syair -- would love to land him due to the local factor, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't for whatever reason. Especially if we land higher rated recruits, or a starting caliber WR down the road in the portal.

Here's the post I responded to:

jgeorge322 said:

And here's what I responded to from said post: he isn't a 4-star, we aren't "turning him down," and we have higher rated guys in the pipeline -- so we might NOT "always have a spot for him." Not the way the class is filling up, and the need to keep a large # of scholarships open to focus on portal transfers.

That's what it has to do with your point.

Whether we have a spot for him will be predicated on who else we land. Nothing against Syair -- would love to land him due to the local factor, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't for whatever reason. Especially if we land higher rated recruits, or a starting caliber WR down the road in the portal.

ok, my position is we'd always have a spot for him based on his talent, him being a local kid, him having a potential to play multiple positions, and how these roster situations always seem to work themselves out. your position is you think we would deny him a spot based on roster numbers. i doubt it, but agree to disagree.

ok, my position is we'd always have a spot for him based on his talent, him being a local kid, him having a potential to play multiple positions, and how these roster situations always seem to work themselves out. your position is you think we would deny him a spot based on roster numbers. i doubt it, but agree to disagree.

My position is that we aren't going to use all available scholarships on HS prospects anymore. Some will be held in reserve to see what's out there in the portal. And that whichever side of the line Syair eventually lands is up to him.

And if Syair opts to go somewhere else, then there 100% won't be a scholarship held in reserve for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom