Class of 2016 - WR Taysir Mack (NY) to Indiana | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Taysir Mack (NY) to Indiana

The City coaches would love nothing more than for the NE to get more respect across the nation on the HS and college level so on the whole they would support SU just like they are all loving Rutgers. But Cuse hasn't done a good job of building relationships post Amselmo. John spoiled all these guys. Made them feel like insiders. I'm not pointing fingers at Joe Adams - everyone likes him but he is still digging his way out of a hole

Also unfort some city coaches also want to see their kids at big time schools

Saying NYC kids suck is just silly.

Imagine if SU were able to keep the City kids starting with Marrone's tenure:

Dominique Easley - 1st Round Draft Pick
Ishaq Williams was slated to start at ND and would have been a 3 or 4 year started for us
Ebo - was ready to play if not start for Clem this year would've been a 3 or 4 year starter in Orange
Augustus Edwards would have started at RB for us last year
Jay Hayes - was starting by end of Frosh at ND
Curtis Samuel - would have started Game 1 frosh year and been the most electrifying player we've had in generations

dont sleep on NYC. There is a reason Nebraska just offered 2 '17 & '18 kids from Brooklyn.
How many of those kids chose Rutgers? All of them chose higher echelon schools.

Ishaq Williams was slated to start at ND and would have been a 3 or 4 year started for us
Ebo - was ready to play if not start for Clem this year would've been a 3 or 4 year starter in Orange
Curtis Samuel - would have started Game 1 frosh year and been the most electrifying player we've had in generations

dont sleep on NYC. There is a reason Nebraska just offered 2 '17 & '18 kids from Brooklyn.
NYC has alot of untapped talent. No doubt. There's alot of kids in the city that are great athletes just need to be molded. Teams have to be willing to invest in them. The guys on this list were all top propsects. None of them considered Rutgers. WE had Gus and we were runner ups for Ebo and Ishaq. I really think Samuel will be the best out of all. He is a stud. I just hope they dont recruit over him. He might not have the opportunity to be the featured back. Gus is gonna have to fight some guys off too. Besides Easley none of them were all conference performers.

Look I like the enthusiasm but Easley I'll grant you however you don't know if Ishaq or Ebo would have stayed out of trouble at SU, my guess is they wouldn't have. Edwards is good but we don't know how good he will be long term or if he even would have continued to play ahead of a guy like Washington. Hayes had 2 tackles ... just 2 registered tackles. Samuel I think would have contributed for us on day 1 but Elliot has him parked on the bench now. You have literally given 6 players over what is essentially a 5 year period. Sorry but for a metro area that size I'm not exactly ready to label it a talent hotbed.

Rutgers wasn't even in the city for those guys. They didn't recruit the city for years and had essentially eliminates themselves from the convo here until 2 years ago when they were runner up for Samuel. Since then flood has shifted the focus and now they are running the city.

Look I like the enthusiasm but Easley I'll grant you however you don't know if Ishaq or Ebo would have stayed out of trouble at SU, my guess is they wouldn't have. Edwards is good but we don't know how good he will be long term or if he even would have continued to play ahead of a guy like Washington. Hayes had 2 tackles ... just 2 registered tackles. Samuel I think would have contributed for us on day 1 but Elliot has him parked on the bench now. You have literally given 6 players over what is essentially a 5 year period. Sorry but for a metro area that size I'm not exactly ready to label it a talent hotbed.

If Ebo and Ishaq went Orange the odds are significantly reduced that they get in trouble. Staying local allows kids' support systems to remain plugged into the them. Parents, high school coaches, youth coaches, mentors etc are all out of reach when you play in Indiana or So Carolina. All the NYC kids currently on the team's families travel to / from games together. They all visit and look out for each other's kids. Ebo & Ishaq didn't have that.

This is EXACTLY why these kids need to stop chasing the bright lights and build something at home.

And Curtis Samuel isn't on the bench. Urban is on record as saying he is going to get Samuel significantly more involved running and catching the ball

Rutgers wasn't even in the city for those guys. They didn't recruit the city for years and had essentially eliminates themselves from the convo here until 2 years ago when they were runner up for Samuel. Since then flood has shifted the focus and now they are running the city.

Lol wrong. They weren't in the convo because the kids didn't put them into the convo. Buttgers offered all those kids.

Schiano and Flood have always recruited the city. It's not something new for them. Flood's had some success because we decided to leave.

The last two years nobody has heard of those kids they got except for you.

Last edited:
NYC has alot of untapped talent. No doubt. There's alot of kids in the city that are great athletes just need to be molded. Teams have to be willing to invest in them. The guys on this list were all top propsects. None of them considered Rutgers. WE had Gus and we were runner ups for Ebo and Ishaq. I really think Samuel will be the best out of all. He is a stud. I just hope they dont recruit over him. He might not have the opportunity to be the featured back. Gus is gonna have to fight some guys off too. Besides Easley none of them were all conference performers.
One of the issues I've heard from a fairly reliable source is that NYC kids have difficulties fitting in. To put it bluntly, most of them are not well liked. This might help explain the Ebo and Ishaq situations.

If Ebo and Ishaq went Orange the odds are significantly reduced that they get in trouble. Staying local allows kids' support systems to remain plugged into the them. Parents, high school coaches, youth coaches, mentors etc are all out of reach when you play in Indiana or So Carolina. All the NYC kids currently on the team's families travel to / from games together. They all visit and look out for each other's kids. Ebo & Ishaq didn't have that.

This is EXACTLY why these kids need to stop chasing the bright lights and build something at home.

And Curtis Samuel isn't on the bench. Urban is on record as saying he is going to get Samuel significantly more involved running and catching the ball

Pure conjecture ... didn't work out for Cater did it? Staying home doesn't protect them from making mistakes it actually keeps them around negative elements that helped them to form those character flaws to begin with. Even kids that stay home get in trouble (or close to home). As soon as Devon Walls comes back closer to home he gets right back into trouble ... list goes on and on. Don't see Samuel starting at the moment ... in the playoffs he had 3 touches in two games. I'm sure Urban will expand his role and his role at SU would have been big but again 6 players worth mentioning in 5 years? Two with legal issues and probably won't even come up to living up to all the hype around them.

One of the issues I've heard from a fairly reliable source is that NYC kids have difficulties fitting in. To put it bluntly, most of them are not well liked. This might help explain the Ebo and Ishaq situations.

No those were stupidity issues. Granted most that commit credit card fraud are not well liked (ahem Gottlieb) but still ... sheer stupidity.

Last edited:
Lol wrong. They weren't in the convo because the kids didn't put them into the convo. Buttgers offered all those kids.

Schiano and Flood have always recruited the city. It's not something new for them. Flood's had some success because we decided to leave.

The last two years nobody has heard of those kids they got except for you.
I'm not sure how close you live to NYC PhatO , or how much you interact with the athletes & coaches in NYC but I live in Brooklyn, have been around all the top programs since '09, and have been actively involved with every one of those kids' recruiting. Trust me when I tell you Rutgers was not actively recruiting the city until a couple of years ago.

Just because they tossed an offer out doesn't mean they were actually recruiting those kids. We offered Rashaun Gary but we're certainly not recruiting him.

If you never heard of any of those kids you don't follow recruiting very closely. Most of them will likely be impact players for Rutgers.

But you're missing the point, Flood is following same strategy Marrone did. Offer and land a slew of 2 & 3 star kids, build your inroads in the city and when the next 4 star pops you'll be in prime position.

And it's working because Matt Jones '18 DT EHall who may very well be biggest recruit out of NYC ever is already much closer with Rutgers than us.

Don't believe me if you don't want to but remember what I said next time you're drooling over a NYC stud and don't understand why he's going to Rutgers.

And plesse no sour grapes disparaging those 4 star kids. Every single one of them would start for us.

btw all those kids are VERY well liked on their college squads

I think Samuel is a stud and will be a good college player at Ohio st. I just think the amount of touches he gets there will be significantly lower than the amount he would get at Cuse or Rutgers. If there is a diamond in the rough in NYC. I want Cuse to get him. The higher rated guys will always be a challeege to get
I'm not sure how close you live to NYC PhatO , or how much you interact with the athletes & coaches in NYC but I live in Brooklyn, have been around all the top programs since '09, and have been actively involved with every one of those kids' recruiting. Trust me when I tell you Rutgers was not actively recruiting the city until a couple of years ago.

Just because they tossed an offer out doesn't mean they were actually recruiting those kids. We offered Rashaun Gary but we're certainly not recruiting him.

If you never heard of any of those kids you don't follow recruiting very closely. Most of them will likely be impact players for Rutgers.

But you're missing the point, Flood is following same strategy Marrone did. Offer and land a slew of 2 & 3 star kids, build your inroads in the city and when the next 4 star pops you'll be in prime position.

And it's working because Matt Jones '18 DT EHall who may very well be biggest recruit out of NYC ever is already much closer with Rutgers than us.

Don't believe me if you don't want to but remember what I said next time you're drooling over a NYC stud and don't understand why he's going to Rutgers.

And plesse no sour grapes disparaging those 4 star kids. Every single one of them would start for us.

btw all those kids are VERY well liked on their college squads
I agree with this. The reasons why we got wayne morgan and almost had gus edwards is because we took chances with rene and kobena. They didnt pan out but its a sacrifice you make to land bigger fish. That's why we have to maintain relationships. Rutgers is doing that right now. It might work out or it might not.

I think Samuel is a stud and will be a good college player at Ohio st. I just think the amount of touches he gets there will be significantly lower than the amount he would get at Cuse or Rutgers. If there is a diamond in the rough in NYC. I want Cuse to get him. The higher rated guys will always be a challeege to get

I agree with this. The reasons why we got wayne morgan and almost had gus edwards is because we took chances with rene and kobena. They didnt pan out but its a sacrifice you make to land bigger fish. That's why we have to maintain relationships. Rutgers is doing that right now. It might work out or it might not.
Basketball recruiting showed that the amount of time spent recruiting players from the city wasn't worth the time. Early on Jim did, but as the years went on, with all the coaches, and players feeling entitled, Jim moved his focus elsewhere. The city will never produce enough players in football, to make a huge difference. Outside of Pearl we've never gotten a big recruit out of the city, and the chances are we never will.

baggerbob said:
Basketball recruiting showed that the amount of time spent recruiting players from the city wasn't worth the time. Early on Jim did, but as the years went on, with all the coaches, and players feeling entitled, Jim moved his focus elsewhere. The city will never produce enough players in football, to make a huge difference. Outside of Pearl we've never gotten a big recruit out of the city, and the chances are we never will.

Conrad McRae and Adrian Autry were big time recruits.

Yeah however when you have a metro area that large that only puts our a small quantity and you have a private school like SU with limited resources and an inability to sign walk ons like popcorn you can't continue handing out scholarships to kids who aren't likely to pan out just because you may land a 1 in 6 blue chipper over a 5 year stretch ... that is a lot of effort for little return.

Conrad McRae and Adrian Autry were big time recruits.

While he wasn't big time Allen Griffin was also a city kid ... recruiting there for hoops makes a lot more sense.

Fellas I understand what you are saying but you think every team in the country 85 scholarship players are worth keeping? You can go to any team and point out players who under performed and shouldn't be a scholarship kid. There's misses on every roster. I am not saying go all out in NYC lol. but you still have to build relationships and recruit your own state. If you don't it becomes a red flag. Kids in the state of Illinois, Florida, NJ and PA will say why should I go to syracuse when the kids in their own state dont want to go there? Grabbing a kid or two every couple years wont hurt as long as they can play and bring value to your program. Jay Bromley is a prime example.

Last edited:

Trust me Rutgers was very much recruiting Easley, Ebo, Okunekdo, Laray Smith, Wayne Morgan, Samuel, Marten and all the other City A Listers. The problem is none of them were interested in Rutgers. If Gary were interested in us we'd be recruiting him. Same for Rutgers.

Chances are slim these current kids will be impact players for Rutgers. Much like the kids from Rochester and Elmira who everyone was up in arms about. We're not missing anything by letting the richie rene's and jeremiah kobena's of the world go to rutgers.

that's what i mean by 'nobody knows' who they are. no one cares. BC, Pitt, Penn State, Temple, Syracuse. Nobody is losing sleep over those 4 or 5 kids. If you want to say Rutgers owns the NYC mac type talent then that would be more accurate, good for them.

but you still have to build relationships and recruit your own state. If you don't it becomes a red flag. Kids in the state of Illinois, Florida, NJ and PA will say why should I go to syracuse when the kids in their own state dont want to go there? Grabbing a kid or two every couple years wont hurt as long as they can play and bring value to your program. Jay Bromley is a prime example.

we bring in kids from New York every year.

Fellas I understand what you are saying but you think every team in the country 85 scholarship players are worth keeping. You can go to any team and point out players who under performed and shouldn't be a scholarship kid. There's misses on every roster. I am not saying go all out in NYC lol. but you still have to build relationships and recruit your own state. If you don't it becomes a red flag. Kids in the state of Illinois, Florida, NJ and PA will say why should I go to syracuse when the kids in their own state dont want to go there? Grabbing a kid or two every couple years wont hurt as long as they can play and bring value to your program. Jay Bromley is a prime example.

Missing out on Eblow, Ishaq and Edwards didn't seem to impact Robert Washington or our ability to beat our UF or UM for recruits late in the cycle.

I don't know where you think you're getting your info from PhatO but I can assure you I saw Florida in the city schools more than I saw Rutgers for all those kids.

If you're so sure Rut has been recruiting the city so hard for so long where are their city commits before last year? They didn't have anyone while Cuse was cleaning up with about 9 or 10 consecutive players.

Of course a couple didn't pan out its a #s game but all these kids have made and impact or will start this year:
Bromley, Reddish, Foy, Hunt, Cornelius, Wayne Morgan, Wayne Williams

What's up with the Hate directed at NYC kids ??? Smh

As an aside, Samuel dropped on the depth chart and was moved to WR per a report I just read. May be to get him some more field time.

I don't know where you think you're getting your info from PhatO but I can assure you I saw Florida in the city schools more than I saw Rutgers for all those kids.

If you're so sure Rut has been recruiting the city so hard for so long where are their city commits before last year? They didn't have anyone while Cuse was cleaning up with about 9 or 10 consecutive players.

Of course a couple didn't pan out its a #s game but all these kids have made and impact or will start this year:
Bromley, Reddish, Foy, Hunt, Cornelius, Wayne Morgan, Wayne Williams

What's up with the Hate directed at NYC kids ??? Smh

I don't think posters who disagree with your views on NYC recruiting are hating on NYC kids.

The facts are that most NYC recruits are more sizzle less steak. And the amount of effort required to convince these kids (who come from a culture where NYC is the greatest place on Earth) to come to CNY hasn't been worth it. That effort has also been impeded by the NYC area coaches who feel SU isn't big time enough for them or didn't kiss their ring appropriately.

Jersey is exponentially more fertile and worth the effort.

I don't think posters who disagree with your views on NYC recruiting are hating on NYC kids.

The facts are that most NYC recruits are more sizzle less steak. And the amount of effort required to convince these kids (who come from a culture where NYC is the greatest place on Earth) to come to CNY hasn't been worth it. That effort has also been impeded by the NYC area coaches who feel SU isn't big time enough for them or didn't kiss their ring appropriately.

Jersey is exponentially more fertile and worth the effort.
Perfectly stated, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom