Class of 2016 - WR Taysir Mack (NY) to Indiana | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Taysir Mack (NY) to Indiana

Jersey is exponentially more fertile and worth the effort.

Yep. And if our strategy is to trade a heavy emphasis in NYC for a heavy emphasis in Jersey, I'm all for it. The staff is still going to go after downstate, NYC and LI kids that show an interest in the program and are worthy of a scholarship. Coach P, GRob, Marrone and Shafer all have/had kids on their roster from that area regardless of where they were emphasizing their recruiting strategy.

I don't think posters who disagree with your views on NYC recruiting are hating on NYC kids.

The facts are that most NYC recruits are more sizzle less steak. And the amount of effort required to convince these kids (who come from a culture where NYC is the greatest place on Earth) to come to CNY hasn't been worth it. That effort has also been impeded by the NYC area coaches who feel SU isn't big time enough for them or didn't kiss their ring appropriately.

Alot of truth to this

I don't think posters who disagree with your views on NYC recruiting are hating on NYC kids.

The facts are that most NYC recruits are more sizzle less steak. And the amount of effort required to convince these kids (who come from a culture where NYC is the greatest place on Earth) to come to CNY hasn't been worth it. That effort has also been impeded by the NYC area coaches who feel SU isn't big time enough for them or didn't kiss their ring appropriately.

Well done using sizzle and steak, love that word sizzle. Sizzling bacon, sizzling steak, hamburgers sizzlin on the grill. damn I'm hungry I'm going to sizzlers!!!

It seems like everybody is making it seem like we weren't recruiting these kids? We were actively recruiting Marten, Mack, Reynolds...they just weren't interested in Syracuse.

I do think that the reason they were able to get those kids is because they recruited some of the less coveted prospects from the area. Just like Money said above it's all about building relationships. Taking kids like Rene and Kobena helps build inroads to the better kids in the area. That's the advantage of recruiting a specific region. I actually think what Flood and Rutgers is doing is smart. They're whole mantra with relation to the B1G is that they bring New York City market to the conference, so why not bring the players as well. In the past 2 years Flood is doing exactly what Marrone started to do with his time here. They're really keying in on the 6 hour radius, with some Florida kids sprinkled in. I could really see it paying off in the future. Everybody was down on the downstate recruiting because our misses on the "top" guys like Ishaq, and Ebo, but what did everyone expect? We weren't just going to re-enter a region and start pulling the top kids right off the bat. It was going to take a couple years to re-establish yourself. We may have been bridesmaids to both Ishaq, and Ebo, but regardless how they may pan out that was the closest we got to an elite recruit until RW. The payoff was down the road. I would love to see how we would be doing down there now. I can almost certainly say we would have had a much better chance in the recruitment of the kids we just missed on, and yes we did miss on the 3 I mentioned above. I actually think most of the downstate talent is under rated. Everyone is quick to mention Ishaq, but guys like Brandon Reddish, Foy, AC, Palmer, Welsh, and so on turned out much better then most people would have imagined.

Unless you are Notre Dame, Stanford, or one of the factories, I think it's important to have a defined region that you recruit each year. Recruiting is all about relationships. Can anybody tell me what are recruiting strategy is? Are we recruiting Illionois, Florida, or is it NJ? Even our strategy seems to change each year. It just doesn't seem well planned, or thought out. Everyone hates on Rutgers, but at least they have a strategy.

It seems like everybody is making it seem like we weren't recruiting these kids? We were actively recruiting Marten, Mack, Reynolds...they just weren't interested in Syracuse.

I do think that the reason they were able to get those kids is because they recruited some of the less coveted prospects from the area. Just like Money said above it's all about building relationships. Taking kids like Rene and Kobena helps build inroads to the better kids in the area. That's the advantage of recruiting a specific region. I actually think what Flood and Rutgers is doing is smart. They're whole mantra with relation to the B1G is that they bring New York City market to the conference, so why not bring the players as well. In the past 2 years Flood is doing exactly what Marrone started to do with his time here. They're really keying in on the 6 hour radius, with some Florida kids sprinkled in. I could really see it paying off in the future. Everybody was down on the downstate recruiting because our misses on the "top" guys like Ishaq, and Ebo, but what did everyone expect? We weren't just going to re-enter a region and start pulling the top kids right off the bat. It was going to take a couple years to re-establish yourself. We may have been bridesmaids to both Ishaq, and Ebo, but regardless how they may pan out that was the closest we got to an elite recruit until RW. The payoff was down the road. I would love to see how we would be doing down there now. I can almost certainly say we would have had a much better chance in the recruitment of the kids we just missed on, and yes we did miss on the 3 I mentioned above. I actually think most of the downstate talent is under rated. Everyone is quick to mention Ishaq, but guys like Brandon Reddish, Foy, AC, Palmer, Welsh, and so on turned out much better then most people would have imagined.

Unless you are Notre Dame, Stanford, or one of the factories, I think it's important to have a defined region that you recruit each year. Recruiting is all about relationships. Can anybody tell me what are recruiting strategy is? Are we recruiting Illionois, Florida, or is it NJ? Even our strategy seems to change each year. It just doesn't seem well planned, or thought out. Everyone hates on Rutgers, but at least they have a strategy.

Seems pretty clear that FL and NJ, with a little GA/NC/Mass/CT mixed in. I think Illinois was a temp band-aid brought on from a lot of our coaches are from that area or just came from there the year before. I honestly don't have a problem with our recruiting right now. NYC kids would be nice - but as many have said NJ is better.

I agree with you basically on what is the core recruiting area but I think it will also expand or contract depending on needs and where the best recruits are available each cycle. If you look at 2017 a good number of Maryland kids have already been offered.

Missing out on Eblow, Ishaq and Edwards didn't seem to impact Robert Washington or our ability to beat our UF or UM for recruits late in the cycle.
I hear you man but that's one player. But I dont know any program that thinks they dont have to have strong relationships with in state coaches a

Exactly. You have to recruit your own back yard. Period.

Seems pretty clear that FL and NJ, with a little GA/NC/Mass/CT mixed in. I think Illinois was a temp band-aid brought on from a lot of our coaches are from that area or just came from there the year before. I honestly don't have a problem with our recruiting right now. NYC kids would be nice - but as many have said NJ is better.

Ya this year is GA/NC/MASS/CT/FLA...And who said it has to be either or with NY and NJ? New England, NY, NJ, PA, OH, FL. Boom you have a strategy. There is a reason programs from the very beginning have mostly recruited within a 6 hour radius.

anomander said:
Ya this year is GA/NC/MASS/CT/FLA...And who said it has to be either or with NY and NJ? New England, NY, NJ, PA, OH, FL. Boom you have a strategy. There is a reason programs from the very beginning have mostly recruited within a 6 hour radius.

Agreed. Seems like GA is working out at least a little. That direct flight from ATL>SYR is helpful.

Agreed. Seems like GA is working out at least a little. That direct flight from ATL>SYR is helpful.
It's amazing how important direct flights are in recruiting. Have you ever wondered why so many Hawaii kids wind up in the Pacific Northwest? Direct flights (according to coaches I've spoken to). Ease of travel is massive in recruiting.

I think our strategy has always been clear. The first year they worked their immediate Illinois contacts while working to make inroads into NJ and NE, and deepening their GA relationships. NY, FL, OH and PA never wavered. (lets remember a good number of people complained about our Illinois/MO emphasis.)

Year 3 we're back to recruiting where we should. NY, NE, NJ, PA and Ohio. Hitting FL like always, and Georgia where we've been since Marrone. Georgia has expanded this year as have our relationships there and GA kids having success in the program. Seems like SOP. In year 3 you're also seeing MD now being cultivated for the future. MD and VA are the last outliers to the Pasqualoni days.

North Carolina right now in my opinion is just a window of opportunity because of Washington.

At the hey day of the program - the core has always been NY, NE, NJ, PA, FL, MD, VA and OH. Then outliers like TX and a few others sprinkled in. This is where we are right now except we're also realistically moving into Georgia.

Rutgers wasn't even in the city for those guys. They didn't recruit the city for years and had essentially eliminates themselves from the convo here until 2 years ago when they were runner up for Samuel. Since then flood has shifted the focus and now they are running the city.

Again, who cares.

I hear you man but that's one player. But I dont know any program that thinks they dont have to have strong relationships with in state coaches a

Exactly. You have to recruit your own back yard. Period.

Actually my example included three ... Washington, Clark and Womack ... or essentially half of the decent talent put out by NYC in the last 4 years ... I stand by my assessment of that situation.

I hear you, but you have to take into account that we've had a new coach (Illinois focus) and two recruiting coordinators. One had a NC and Fla focus. The other has a NJ/downstate focus. Things have shifted as personnel has shifted in the coaching ranks.

Actually my example included three ... Washington, Clark and Womack ... or essentially half of the decent talent put out by NYC in the last 4 years ... I stand by my assessment of that situation.
So you dont think players routinely leaving the state doesnt have a negative influence on recruiting? lol. Im sure Rutgers will argue with you

THANK YOU

I don't think posters who disagree with your views on NYC recruiting are hating on NYC kids..

I'm not referring to disagreeing with my views.

I'm talking about:

- NYC is only MAC level talent
- No one ever herd of those NYC recruits
- nyc kids aren't worth the trouble
- city kids aren't well liked in college

Stop HATING!!!!

The city kids have been VERY productive for Cuse which is exactly why Flood decided to go hard after NYC

and fwiw Shafer's staff is yet to take a City kid (Wayne Williams is really a Marrone era recruit).

In that time Rutgers has grabbed 7-8 kids and is running the city

Again, who cares.
Who Cares???

You don't care about Jason Bromley? Brandon Reddish? Wayne Morgan? Alvin Cornelius? Wayne Williams (hopefully)??? Terrel Hunt (again... hopefully)

Anyone who says who cares if Rutgers has stolen NYC from us is allowing their dislike for NYC folk to cloud their thinking

So you dont think players routinely leaving the state doesnt have a negative influence on recruiting? lol. Im sure Rutgers will argue with you

Maybe they would big difference between NJ talent and NYC talent. FWIW in response they went and recruited elsewhere ... apparently NYC. Like we are doing in GA, Illinois, Florida and now apparently NC ... and guess what I am willing to bet we will grab more contributors from those states than NYC.

Who Cares???

You don't care about Jason Bromley? Brandon Reddish? Wayne Morgan? Alvin Cornelius? Wayne Williams (hopefully)??? Terrel Hunt (again... hopefully)

Anyone who says who cares if Rutgers has stolen NYC from us is allowing their dislike for NYC folk to cloud their thinking

Yet in relatively the same time period we pull kids from PA and put more of them (Nassib, Pugh) in the NFL draft than from NYC during the Marrone era (Bromley who wasn't offered by anyone including Rutgers) ... that should tell you something. I am still waiting for Cornelius and Morgan to do something ... I'll give you Reddish who I thought was severely underrated and Bromley. Lets look at the last 4-5 years our top QB came from PA ... our top two OL ... came from PA (Pugh, Hickey) or top RBs Ohio and Delaware (Smith and Carter) our top WRs upstate NY, PA and Maryland (Sales, West and Lemon) our top safeties were from Va and FL our top linebackers were from NJ and GA and only Bromley do I consider to be a city kid that truly set the bar at a position on the field. Even our TEs came from FL and GA. Give me a NYC kid that has actually done something for Rutgers in the last 2-3 seasons ...

Who Cares???

This is your response? Seriously.

My dislike for NYC folks :rolling:

I'm guessing at this point with all your silly posts your really just trolling for fun.

Maybe they would big difference between NJ talent and NYC talent. FWIW in response they went and recruited elsewhere ... apparently NYC. Like we are doing in GA, Illinois, Florida and now apparently NC ... and guess what I am willing to bet we will grab more contributors from those states than NYC.
you are still mising the point of what im saying. We all know NYC players dont make or break this program. Its all about the perception. Its about relationships, camps, coaching clinics, trust, pride and hope from your lone major D1 program. Coaches and players have to believe they matter. This will draw more interest, more in state donors and bringing more people to the game. once again we all know there are better players in those states you mentioned. When I say recruit your own state thats what I meant. I didnt mean spend all of our time and resources on just the NYC kids

Last edited:
money3189 said:
you are still mising the point of what im saying. We all know NYC players dont make or break this program. Its all about the perception. Its about relationships, camps, coaching clinics, trust, pride and hope from your lone major D1 program. Coaches and players have to believe they matter. This will draw more interest, more in state donors and bringing more people to the game. once again we all know there are better players in those states you mentioned. When I say recruit your own state thats what I meant. I didnt mean spend all are time and resources on all the NYC kids

Yep. And to be fair we haven't given up on area. We just need to play catch up post-Anselmo.

This is going to sound weird. But, I saw a kid, about 6'3"-6'4", ~230lbs, black, huge shoulders with a Syracuse visor on in the northeastern part of the Bronx this past weekend. He had kind-of longer hair up top, short on the sides. I was trying to figure out who it might have been. Was definitely either a player or a recruit, but didn't recognize his face. Any idea who it may've been?