Xmas getting the old Paul Harris treatment | Syracusefan.com

Xmas getting the old Paul Harris treatment

Cuse_NYC

Starter
from the refs this season. He pretty much has 2 fouls when the ball is tipped. Don't think refs don't know who commits al ot of fouls throughout the year. Let the kid play.

from the refs this season. He pretty much has 2 fouls when the ball is tipped. Don't think refs don't know who commits al ot of fouls throughout the year. Let the kid play.

He managed to play the last 11 minutes of the game with 4 fouls, maybe he should concentrate on playing the first part of the game the way he does once he's picked up a critical number of fouls.

Two of those were absolutely unnecessary fouls that he committed. He needs better positioning and to know when to let up. He had an over the back that was utterly pointless. He has a ton of talent and, like pfister just posted, has shown that he can play smart. He just needs to put it all together for more than a 11 minutes. He could be a brute next season.

Much like Harris, he's his own worst enemy. The fouls are often just stupid. I also can't figure out why he thinks he needs to step away from the basket before he puts a shot up. A guy with his physical attributes should attack the rim. And contrary to conventional board wisdom, his baby hook sucks. He's like 2 - 50 with that thing this year.

Much like Harris, he's his own worst enemy. The fouls are often just stupid. I also can't figure out why he thinks he needs to step away from the basket before he puts a shot up. A guy with his physical attributes should attack the rim. And contrary to conventional board wisdom, his baby hook sucks. He's like 2 - 50 with that thing this year.

This. He should be throwing down tomahawks over people. He needs to play like that angry face he makes. He only LOOKS angry. He plays very soft. The only time Roc is pissed on the court is when he's called for a foul. The guy bitches to the refs after 90% of the calls against him. I'm sure that is helping his cause. NOT.

I don't know if we will wind up with Diagne or Bryant but I hope they come in with a little fire in their guts. I'm sick of our big guys playing too politely out there.

True. He does pick up some cheap ones, the over the back being a great example for yesterday. If he doesn't challenge those shots he would get criticized as well though. He had a couple blocks late in the game that I'm sure got everyone excited, because it contributed to the comeback, but both could easily have been called fouls. The fourth foul he was called for is still a mystery to me because the whistle blew sooooooo early - prior to any contact that I could see.

He has missed probably 7 or 8 hooks in a row (ever since the game-winning attempt against BC), but before that he was hitting them at a high clip. He's also hit a fairly high percentage of his mid-range shots. I don't know, still thinks he's underused - but he could play tougher inside on offense. No questioning that.

And, like the OP, I think he's been the victim of some horrendous calls from that Duke game going forward.

i think starting keita would be a great move... let xmas watch a few minutes before he comes in

i think starting keita would be a great move... let xmas watch a few minutes before he comes in

Are you kidding? I like Keita, but he is not starting center material. He provides 0 offensively and at times his hands are so poor that he provides very little defensively as he can't secure a rebound.

raxmas played 6 minutes last night before he picked up his first foul. left the half with just 2.
commits 2 more fouls in the first 2 minutes of the second half. his night was basically done.

Alot of it is his own fault. He is not a smart player. And then he pouts. And then he sits. And then he keeps shooting shots he can't make. And then he fouls...

He puts it on himself though, when you earn a reputation for getting in foul trouble, the refs tend not to give you the benefit of the doubt.

This. He should be throwing down tomahawks over people. He needs to play like that angry face he makes. He only LOOKS angry. He plays very soft. The only time Roc is pissed on the court is when he's called for a foul. The guy bitches to the refs after 90% of the calls against him. I'm sure that is helping his cause. NOT.

I don't know if we will wind up with Diagne or Bryant but I hope they come in with a little fire in their guts. I'm sick of all our big guys playing too politely out there.

FIFY

He puts it on himself though, when you earn a reputation for getting in foul trouble, the refs tend not to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Chicken and the egg.

we've got a handful of ex guards sitting on the asst. coaching staff led by an ex guard HC.
rosie bouie where are you ? we need someone skilled at that position who understands the ever so intricate and violent dance that takes place in the paint. maybe then a 5* center could actually come into this program and contribute their first year like most schools.

Last edited:
He still tries to block every shot, hitting shooters on the arm. Great shot blockers are selective, they don't go after every shot. They know how to stay vertical and not lean into the shooter. He makes a lot of technique mistakes and gets by on his athleticism alone. I don't know if its him not learning or the quality of the coaching. But if played for Tom Izzo I'm sure he wouldn't be making so many dumb mistakes.

we've got a handful of ex guards sitting on the asst. coaching staff led by an ex guard HC.
rosie bouie where are you ? we need someone skilled at that position who understands the ever intricate and violent dance that takes place in the paint. maybe then a 5* center could actually come into this program and contribute their first year like most schools.

It is huge mistake that we don't have a dedicated big man coach. Never thought Bernie was a particularly good coach, but we haven't developed any of our big men since he left and that's on JB.

Are you kidding? I like Keita, but he is not starting center material. He provides 0 offensively and at times his hands are so poor that he provides very little defensively as he can't secure a rebound.

he is definitely is not starting material. however if he starts maybe xmas comes in a little less jacked up and avoids early foul trouble. the number of minutes is what is important not who starts. xmas has been playing about 16 minutes per game. If keita starts and xmas plays 26 minutes per game , that is less time for keita. It would be nice to reverse their minutes. Keita is getting starter minutes right now anyway and " Keita is not starting material".

If Rak gets in foul trouble, we should go small with Grant at C and bring in Roberson or Mike G.
Keita is just too much of a liability on O and the O is what is hurting us. We need to score. Stops in the zone will happen eventually even with a small lineup.

raxmas scored 3 points. keita 2. liability? rax ain't shaq . and as bad as keita played (probably his worst game all season) he was better in both points and rebounds per minute last night.also keita has the better rebounding numbers for the season. not such a big drop off from starter to back up as some suggest.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how we got to having a roster consisting of the following

C - Baye Moussa Kieta SR
C - Rak Christmas JR
C - DaJuan Coleman S0
C - Chino FR
PF - CJ Fair SR
PF - Jerami Grant S0
PF - Tyler Roberson FR

That's 7 of our 12 scholarship players who don't have the ability to stretch the defense with the 3 point shot. I know they were worried about an early departure, but imo this team was poorly constructed. I'm hoping we noticed this and that was the reasoning for getting Tyler Lydon instead of Derrick Jones. Lydon and Richardson are both kids who can stretch the defense, while Jones is an elite athlete. Then again help from the outside is still 2 years away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom