Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations

Since its my birthday and this came out today might as well just light one up for the team.

JB should have been suspended after his initial comments in the Fine situation, after this he should step down at the end of this season. But he wants 900 wins so he will be back.
Silly

The stuff happening at UCLA was a lot bigger than this.
if SU used a single ineligible player in a single game, then this trumps the UCLA story

. . . . that said, I do not believe that to be the case

So lets get something straight here, the NCAA or whoever doesn't want kids smoking pot because there afraid it will impact their playing or whatever, so if you're caught smoking drugs, they will suspend you for it. Wouldn't suspending someone impact their performance more?

i love jb's comments, especially the "good luck with your story part." he definately knows whats up, but just playing dumb until he'll have to speak either tomorrow or thursday.

JB should have been suspended after his initial comments in the Fine situation, after this he should step down at the end of this season. But he wants 900 wins so he will be back.
Bobby?

Dude great post. I'm sure that is his main concern.

Really? because there's evidence he did something wrong here personally? Honestly if we're going to be a program that fires coaches in a PR move, I'm going the Ragman route and giving up my season tickets. the school and athletic programs would be dead to me.

The part I don't get (someone please explain if you know):

The drug policy is university-ran, in other words, it has NOTHING to do with the NCAA or standards. So, does that mean the penalties are at the discretion of the university? The article says 10 players over 10 years, is it possible that say, Josh Wright, tested positive once, but under the universities drug policy, you get 1 "warning" and a 2nd positive test leads to a suspension, but since he never tested positive again, he wasn't suspended? Do we know for a fact that the players were "ineligible" or was that just thrown out there by Yahoo? I feel like if Gross did indeed self-report several years ago, and players did play when they were ineligible, the NCAA would have made a decision by now since it could possibly vacate wins.

Silly

Give me a break he has no control of his team's. Those comments he made were wrong and he should have been suspended end of story stop being biased. What if the championship get's taken away? Now what's his legacy? almost 40 years and no championships. Those 900 wins don't mean nothing if you can't win in March. 600 wins and 3 titles > 900 wins 1 title

if SU used a single ineligible player in a single game, then this trumps the UCLA story
We are talking about a law the University put in place that the Ncaa doesn't find important enough to make it mandatory for every University. Do you know how many ways they could skate around this?
39-1

Give me a break he has no control of his team's. Those comments he made were wrong and he should have been suspended end of story stop being biased. What if the championship get's taken away? Now what's his legacy? almost 40 years and no championships. Those 900 wins don't mean nothing if you can't win in March. 600 wins and 3 titles > 900 wins 1 title
UConn fan?

Thats what i dont get, if this wa reported years ago than umm why the hell hasnt a ruling been made

How were the comments wrong? As of right now Bernie Fine hasn't been charged with anything. He said they were looking out for money and it looks right now he was right.

So now we are vacating a championship because of accusations? No control over his teams? What are you talking about? So based on how the BF is playing out his comments were wrong right?

thumbnail.aspx

The part I don't get (someone please explain if you know):

The drug policy is university-ran, in other words, it has NOTHING to do with the NCAA or standards. So, does that mean the penalties are at the discretion of the university? The article says 10 players over 10 years, is it possible that say, Josh Wright, tested positive once, but under the universities drug policy, you get 1 "warning" and a 2nd positive test leads to a suspension, but since he never tested positive again, he wasn't suspended? Do we know for a fact that the players were "ineligible" or was that just thrown out there by Yahoo? I feel like if Gross did indeed self-report several years ago, and players did play when they were ineligible, the NCAA would have made a decision by now since it could possibly vacate wins.

maybe this will help you understand it - many academic policies are run by the university, too, in addition to or beyond NCAA standards. If you become ineligible under a university policy of any kind, then you are ineligible in the eyes of the NCAA. I believe that Fab's suspension was due to a Syracuse University academic policy, not an NCAA one.

any sanctions that come from this (and there probably will be none) will not be for drug use, but rather for having used one or more ineligible players

maybe this will help you understand it - many academic policies are run by the university, too, in addition to or beyond NCAA standards. If you become ineligible under a university policy of any kind, then you are ineligible in the eyes of the NCAA. I believe that Fab's suspension was due to a Syracuse University academic policy, not an NCAA one.

any sanctions that come from this (and there probably will be none) will not be for drug use, but rather for having used one or more ineligible players
When has JB ever used an ineligible player? Just wondering.

Really? because there's evidence he did something wrong here personally? Honestly if we're going to be a program that fires coaches in a PR move, I'm going the Ragman route and giving up my season tickets. the school and athletic programs would be dead to me.

It's HIS team it's HIS responsibility. He did do something wrong when he made those comments in the Fine investigation and should have been suspended. Stop being biased because he coaches SU if it was somewhere else you would be not saying the same thing.

We are talking about a law the University put in place that the Ncaa doesn't find important enough to make it mandatory for every University. Do you know how many ways they could skate around this?
39-1
how many times does this have to be repeated: it is not about drugs

ineligible is ineligible

you cannot use ineligible players, regardless of whether its an NCAA rule, a conference rule, a school rule, or an athletic department rule

probably never, but that is the allegation here

are you not even reading the source material?

As far as we know, he hasn't. IF for whatever reason someone tested positive 3+ times and still played, that would be a case of using an ineligible player. But as far as I can tell, that's all just speculation on Yahoo's part as of now.

how many times does this have to be repeated: it is not about drugs

ineligible is ineligible

you cannot use ineligible players, regardless of whether its an NCAA rule, a conference rule, a school rule, or an athletic department rule
exactly a player ineligible from...a University not NCAA rule.

That didn't answer my question at all. My point was that we dont know for sure that 1 positive drug test=suspension and being ineligible. It might have been a "okay you failed once, fail again and you're suspended" situation, and it just so happened that no one failed again. Yahoo claims "ineligible" players, but we DO NOT know for a fact that's what happened, I think the only clear fact so far is that there were failed drug tests.

probably never, but that is the allegation here

are you not even reading the source material?
No Moqui I don't understand English. Often times allegations are reported as fact.

That didn't answer my question at all. My point was that we dont know for sure that 1 positive drug test=suspension and being ineligible. It might have been a "okay you failed once, fail again and you're suspended" situation, and it just so happened that no one failed again. Yahoo claims "ineligible" players, but we DO NOT know for a fact that's what happened, I think the only clear fact so far is that there were failed drug tests.

you asked "The drug policy is university-ran, in other words, it has NOTHING to do with the NCAA or standards. So, does that mean the penalties are at the discretion of the university"

I explained how this could become an NCAA issue

I also pointed out that there was probably nothing to this

How were the comments wrong? As of right now Bernie Fine hasn't been charged with anything. He said they were looking out for money and it looks right now he was right.

Then what did he apologize for if he wasn't wrong? You don't criticize "accusers" in a child molestation case if you "know nothing"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom