Yeah I'm gonna say it

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by NYCSUGrad, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowtown

Cowtown Resident Frostback Interface

[​IMG]

Shark58 likes this.
  2. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Last name ever. First name greatest.

SEE WHAT I MEAN OT posters are the WORST :)

CaptainJ, two3zone and Cowtown like this.
  3. SoBeCuse

SoBeCuse Hall of Fame

This is how I am digesting things. We have a LONG way to go and need a TON of good wins to undo the non-conf disaster as well as @ BC. These were two really good wins. I hope the team can build and keep gaining momentum from these. I'm a little worried about depth but I doubt JB truly is since he rode 6 guys to the Final 4 last year. The more Battle improves and can probe the D the better for everyone. OK, offensively who is better: Gillon/Battle/White/Lydon or Gbinjie/Cooney/Mali/Lydon?

4. CaptainJ

CaptainJ All American

JarHeadJim is the best. Or is that technically the funny picture thread? :)

5. br801

br801 Hall of Fame

Absolutely, especially the lefties. :rolleyes:

6. CaptainJ

CaptainJ All American

Good post. As for your question, you've kind of semi-answered it in that it depends what games your're looking at. I'll be safe and say I'd like to see a larger sample size, as Lydon's facial hair continues to fill in.

SoBeCuse likes this.
  7. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Last name ever. First name greatest.

No..JHJ does God's work. I mean the place where all the political threads are. That place is an abomination.

8. Roll Cuse

Roll Cuse Walk On

Oh boy we are doing "I told you so's" after 2 home wins vs Unranked mid pack
    Acc teams? Dosent how excited we are after 80 mins of solid basketball against good but not great teams only reinforce the point of how bad it was beforehand? Preseason these were games we would have expected to win. Now they spur your "I told you so" thread. Kind of speaks for itself that things were bad enough to warrant any concern. The same people that would have said any doom and gloom was overreaction before can't now be saying "told you so" after 2 games. Cat have it both ways. No one can possibly know exactly what we have here in this team. But so far the peak is Convincing wins vs good but not great teams at home, and the floor is 30+ point blowouts at home vs teams who probably don't make the NIT.

Sorry I don't mean to be that guy. Loved these last 2 games. Reason for hope. But chill wwith th the chest pumping I told you so's. going by to take a lot more to even be in the tourney convo. 6 loss team with 4 losses to non tourney teams 2 of which were blowouts. 0 top 25 wins. Long long way to go. But sure I'll buy that it appears it will be an interesting ride, where as a week ago I would have not thought so.

Zelda Zonk, Doc5120, two3zone and 2 others like this.
  9. br801

br801 Hall of Fame

No one is saying this is a tournament team yet, but there were a fair number of fans who had jumped ship and even some who were seriously predicting this team would run the table in reverse in ACC play this season (and even next).

Miami and Pitt are solid basketball teams, and SU thoroughly dominated them when the outcome of those games was in doubt, and looked good doing so on both ends of the court. If anyone wants to say "I told you so" after hanging in there, they're entitled, IMO.

NYCSUGrad likes this.
  10. O-pulse

O-pulse Scout Team

What have we learned lately?
    The sky is not falling and we can play with anyone left on our schedule. Does that mean we will; no it does provide a guarantee of anything.
    We have seen a significant upgrade in our effort and understanding of playing our Offense and Defense. None of us really know all that is ongoing, behind the scenes with coaching, player development and recruiting.
    Despite a level of disparagement of our coaches, recruiting and schemes IMO Let's chill some and enjoy the remainder of the season without
    Chicken-little--48884.gif

NYCSUGrad likes this.
  11. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

As bad as we were playing, anything appeared to be in play for this season, in my opinion. But yeah, that post that basically said we're going 0 for our next 36 in the ACC was something else.

Cusefan0307 and NYCSUGrad like this.
  12. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

I always thought she was a hottie:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    NYCSUGrad likes this.
  13. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

Orange Barrel likes this.
  14. Roll Cuse

Roll Cuse Walk On

Well I suppose if what "they told us" is that the team wouldnt be O-fer the entire acc season then sure they sure they are entitled to whatever lol. Bold call lol

15. br801

br801 Hall of Fame

NYCSUGrad and Orange Barrel like this.
  16. Roll Cuse

Roll Cuse Walk On

Wait but you told us so...

iommi likes this.
  17. Orange Barrel

Orange Barrel 2nd String

Shark58 and br801 like this.
  18. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

The JAB!!! I was too old to see Husker Du there but I nearly fainted at David Johannsen show cause it was packed and we were dancing and whatnot.

Were the Flashcubes still around then? And the band that Paul, formerly of the Flashcubes formed with the female singer and they sang a song with the line "I wish I could go back in time Be on Hullabaloo"? Any other cool local bands?

19. Orange Barrel

Orange Barrel 2nd String

The Flashcubes were pretty much done by 1980. Paul was part of 1.4.5 after that. They eventually moved to Boston. Not sure about the singer and song you're referring to. Maybe between the Flashcubes and 1.4.5? Masters of Reality were huge back then. B-Solution was good. There were a couple of dog bands. The Dogs Outside and Dog Talk. Those were all student bands except MOR. Chris from MOR is in LA now and is a very successful producer.

20. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

I think it's.4.5 I'm thinking about then. With the female singer, looked a little like Lulu in To Sir With Love

21. Orange Barrel

Orange Barrel 2nd String

I knew there was never a woman in 1.4.5, so I did a little research this morning. I found this post from Carl Carfarelli, who is still in CNY and co-hosts a radio show Sunday nights. Here are the highlights you're looking for:

Paul was fired from the Flashcubes in July of 1979. The roots of his dismissal from the group lay in their musical differences, the very dichotomy that had once seemed to be the Flashcubes' strength. The split was hastened by Michael Browning, whose management firm handled hard rockers AC/DC. Browning was interested in taking the Flashcubes on as clients, but he insisted that they do things his way. His way would include a general taming-down of Paul's high-energy on-stage antics, or a removal of Paul entirely. Bye-bye, Paulie.

Paul's replacement was Mick Walker, a local veteran, then playing with Joe Whiting and the Bandit Band.

Within a day of leaving the 'Cubes, Paul formed the Most, a new group fronted by Paul's girlfriend, Dian Zain. Now, Paul had his aggressive rock group, and Gary, Arty and Tommy had their energetic pop quartet. Everyone should have been happy, right?

22. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

Thank you SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!!

She was just adorable and there was one gig I saw of theirs where some guy started harassing me and Paul put an end to it very fast.

We didn't speak but once when I interviewed them I think for an article that never got published but I was a regular at the Flashcubes shows so I'm sure he knew me by sight.

I was grateful.

If you can maybe link the whole post I'd ever happier. Thanks

Orange Barrel and br801 like this.
  23. Orange Barrel

Orange Barrel 2nd String

br801 likes this.
  24. br801

br801 Hall of Fame

Thanks, great read. I was fortunate enough to be at SU during the Flashcubes era and saw them many times. They were the real deal. Fortunately, many of their recordings can be found on YouTube, and are well worth checking out, whether you were there at the time or are just wondering what they were all about.

NYCSUGrad and Orange Barrel like this.
  25. Orange Barrel

Orange Barrel 2nd String

My funny Paul story is that we really didn't know each other, but he knew who I was and didn't much care for me. He had gone out with my girlfriend before we met and still liked her quite a bit. He even tried to pick a fight with me one night at one of those giant parties the architecture club used to have in Oakwood Cemetery. This was in 1985 or 86. That girlfriend has been my wife for 28 years, and Paul still occasionally posts to her FaceBook page that he still thinks about her all the time.

bevosu and br801 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.