Yesterday's Texas Bowl Tailgate | Syracusefan.com

Yesterday's Texas Bowl Tailgate

KCJax03

Scout Team
Yesterday was my first time attending a Syracuse tailgating event through this group. It was a blast!

Special thanks to TexanMark who based on the number of times I spoke to him during the planning / organizing process must've been a very, very busy fella.

I can see how much hard work is involved in putting these types of outings together. I am new here to Houston so if you need any help with future events do not hesitate to ask me.

I dusted off my 15 year old number 5 Syracuse blue home jersey yesterday for the game and was approached by a group of Syracuse fans as I entered the stadium. They inquired about the jersey as they had been unable to locate one like it.

Turns out it was Luke Arciniega's family, very nice people. I hope they can find a number 5 like mine, it would be hard to believe such a hallowed number would not be readily accessible.

Saw you there, but I'm an introvert so didn't say hi. sorry.

Would love to know which board member owned the truck that had Syracuse Orange stenciled on the side.

Well I can tell you that was not my truck. Do you live in Houston?
Do you know how many board members are local to Houston? Y'all ever get together to watch games? Any frequented local establishments?

Mark has a full-time, paid staff of a couple dozen to help him out. What did you think? That it's a shoestring operation?

I thought Mark looked a bit like Tim Robbins... Beyond that I had little knowledge of the operational aspects of the tailgate planning and execution.

Good times and a great game yesterday!

I was at the tailgate, too. Mark does an excellent job with organizing them. He recruits a lot of hands to pitch in and makes light work of it, except for himself as he works the gig.

I am just north of Houston (a.k.a. HTown) in New Caney. I am not an alumn but I met Rachel who heads up the Houston alumi association. Very nice lady and seemed very helpful. You may want to contact her and organize some local events. Please feel free to include non-alumni friends of Syracuse. :D

Last edited:
This is the most unintentionally funny post I've ever read... It got worse with very word after LAY :)

Lol

HtownOrange said:
I am not an alumn but I met Rachel who heads up the Houston alumi association. Very nice lay and seemed very helpful. You may want to contact her and organize some local events. Please feel free to include non-alumni friends of Syracuse. :D

Mark organized the entire Maryland tailgate from afar too. Incredible.

I
I was at the tailgate, too. Mark does an excellent job with organizing them. He recruits a lot of hands to pitch in and makes light work of it, except for himself as he works the gig.

I am just north of Houston (a.k.a. HTown) in New Caney. I am not an alumn but I met Rachel who heads up the Houston alumi association. Very nice lay and seemed very helpful. You may want to contact her and organize some local events. Please feel free to include non-alumni friends of Syracuse. :D

I'm not an alum either. Just someone who grew up in Syracuse and has always been a huge fan. We moved to Houston from somewhere that was a bit of a barren wasteland with regards to events surrounding Syracuse athletic events. I am having a great time here in Texas, life will be REALLY good if the hoops team makes the final 4 in Dallas.

I spoke to Rachel as well, she is a nice lady. Not sure where New Caney is but we will be moving into our new house in the Woodlands a few weeks from now.

Perhaps some future opportunities will arise for some other activities of which I would be glad to help organize.

Well I can tell you that was not my truck. Do you live in Houston?
Do you know how many board members are local to Houston? Y'all ever get together to watch games? Any frequented local establishments?

There's about a half dozen or so that post on this board. I think there's a sports bar that SU fans congregate to. Maybe another board member can provide more info. I usually watch with my daughter at home.

Oh, and just a fan who grew up in the Syracuse area as well.

KCJax03 said:
Well I can tell you that was not my truck. Do you live in Houston? Do you know how many board members are local to Houston? Y'all ever get together to watch games? Any frequented local establishments?

Yes, the Houston alumni club often has viewing parties throughout the year. In fact, I just came from Buffalo Wild Wings for a Cuse/Nova watch party. About three tables were taken for this event. During the NCAA tourney, we can pack the house!

A big thanks to MARK and his crew. It was a great tailgate and feeding the band and cheer team was greatly appreciated. Thank you to Keith for picking up the BBQ. Also thank you to both Rachels from the Houston alumni club, Francine who helped check people in and handed out swag, Linda who helped keep the food replenished and of course the grill master cooking the Hoffmans. If I forgot to thank anyone else, I apologize, there were so many of you helping throughout the event. This was truly a team effort and my pleasure to work with all of you to make it happen. I would welcome the opportunity to do it again, truly a class act!
Thank you all!
Pauline Saraceni, SU Office of Alumni Relations

PS. our alumni clubs are open to alumni, students, family and friends of Syracuse. Everyone is welcome to attend any of the club events.

You guys got pics and stuff?

A big thanks to MARK and his crew. It was a great tailgate and feeding the band and cheer team was greatly appreciated. Thank you to Keith for picking up the BBQ. Also thank you to both Rachels from the Houston alumni club, Francine who helped check people in and handed out swag, Linda who helped keep the food replenished and of course the grill master cooking the Hoffmans. If I forgot to thank anyone else, I apologize, there were so many of you helping throughout the event. This was truly a team effort and my pleasure to work with all of you to make it happen. I would welcome the opportunity to do it again, truly a class act!
Thank you all!

PS. our alumni clubs are open to alumni, students, family and friends of Syracuse. Everyone is welcome to attend any of the club events.

Thanks for posting. I love it when SU representatives/employees post on this board. Don't be a stranger!

Mark organized the entire Maryland tailgate from afar too. Incredible.

Actually orchestrated getting a propane heater, propane tank, and enclosed shelter for the BC game--from Texas. Kudos!

Thank you all!

Thanks for getting the band, cheerleaders, color guard and Otto to stop by the tailgate.

Thanks Mark for all the work you did putting the tailgate together. I will be happy to help as an organizer-on-site, for the Final Four in Dallas-Ft.Worth,beginning early!!!! since its clear this BB team is headed to ATT/Cowboys Stadium in April.We should have a good crowd in Dallas for 4 days.

There's about a half dozen or so that post on this board. I think there's a sports bar that SU fans congregate to. Maybe another board member can provide more info. I usually watch with my daughter at home.

Oh, and just a fan who grew up in the Syracuse area as well.

I was able to attend the game yesterday because my wonderful wife was gracious enough to stay home and watch our two children, one 3 years and the other 6 months. I was home today with the little ones so she could go out and enjoy this beautiful day. I would also only be able to attend some events but would like to be in the loop regarding when and where they occur...

You guys got pics and stuff?
The SU assistant cheer team coach took a lot of pictures I only got a few.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 161
Here is one of the band coming through the food line, not sure why they are flipping on me, sorry.
image.jpg

Nah, it could happen to anyone. I just couldn't stop laughing over the difference 1 letter in a paragraph can make :)

HtownOrange said:
My proofreading skills are seriously lacking.

I just want to add that the tailgate took many folks to pull it off: A big thanks to Pauline from SU (BTW, welcome to the board) who was my copilot in this, the Rachels (two of them) for getting supplies locally, Francine for volunteering to man the check in, Cabby1 for the Hofmanns n grilling, Cusejuicy for grilling, Newhouse10 (Aaron) for coming through with the chicken wings and grilling, HtownOrange, KCJax, SACuce (and MinnyMarty), TexasCPA, Orangello and to the others I forgot (sorry) for making this the best road tailgate ever.

We had over 450 Cuse fans in one spot there while the band was performing...so happy we could feed the kids in the band/cheer squad.

This article has pictures from the tailgate
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/12/loyalists_and_local_alumni_cel.html

The whole experience was great! Loved the food and having Otto and the band stop by. It was pretty sweet having so many orange fans together before the game. The stadium was everything as advertised. Holy jumbotron! The game will surely go down as one of the best of bowl season. Great job to Mark and everyone involved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom