yikes kenpom sees it as pretty much a toss-up | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

yikes kenpom sees it as pretty much a toss-up

I wish OKC was doing better with Melo, for his sake. It'll be interesting to see if George and Westbrook make a conscious effort to get him the ball more in MSG. I'd imagine they would.
They have 3 superstars, but there's no flow (yet). THey'll get better once they get used to each other. But Westbrook plays too often like he's the only one on the Court. IMHO, if they had someone like Chris Paul up top (or a similarly talented distributor/scorer), they would be in a better position to challenge the top WC teams ... Rockets, Spurs and Warriors.

All this Westbrook blame is foolish, IMO. Yes he is mental and a ball hog at times but he would know the offense better than anyone on that team. As poorly as George and Melo are playing Westbrook is still averaging almost 10 assists a game! That ain’t all stat padding. You have to actually TRY to do other things on the court. Against Indiana he was 3-17 from the floor. Well, he chipped in with 17 rebs and 12 assists. But, yeah he’s sure selfish, lol. Please.

All this Westbrook blame is foolish, IMO. Yes he is mental and a ball hog at times but he would know the offense better than anyone on that team. As poorly as George and Melo are playing Westbrook is still averaging almost 10 assists a game! That ain’t all stat padding. You have to actually TRY to do other things on the court. Against Indiana he was 3-17 from the floor. Well, he chipped in with 17 rebs and 12 assists. But, yeah he’s sure selfish, lol. Please.
I think 3-17 says it all. Why not involve his supporting cast more ... instead of jacking shots. Obviously he's a great player. And he's versatile. But he also needs to distribute the rock more, now that he's got more talent around him.

I think 3-17 says it all. Why not involve his supporting cast more ... instead of jacking shots. Obviously he's a great player. And he's versatile. But he also needs to distribute the rock more, now that he's got more talent around him.

12 assists! Not good enough? So if Melo and George make some shots and play better would he have 20 assists that game? Maybe average 15 for the season?

I think he’s gotta go off the ball more. It feels like he’s got the ball in his hands like 70% of the time.

12 assists! Not good enough? So if Melo and George make some shots and play better would he have 20 assists that game? Maybe average 15 for the season?
They didn't shoot particularly well either, no doubt. I think they took 13 or 14 shots each. But a PG as good as Westbrook has to make the players around him better, not just pad his numbers. There's a lot more to it, as you know. He has to figure out where they like the ball and when to pass to them given their skillsets. That takes time.

I know people hate advanced stats, but his are awful. He’s shooting 38% overall and 28% from 3 on 34% usage. He’s basically as effective as Jaylen Brown is for Boston and he’s only in his 2nd year.

I hear you guys. But he DOES do other things on the floor like pass. Sure he shot too much and his overall shooting is not good. But he does do other things out there, clearly. It’s a collective mess there for sure.

I know people hate advanced stats, but his are awful. He’s shooting 38% overall and 28% from 3 on 34% usage. He’s basically as effective as Jaylen Brown is for Boston and he’s only in his 2nd year.
And he has all these gaudy numbers ... because he's got the ball so much. Sooner or later, he's going to have to adjust, ease his game back and work with the other two stars so they play more to their potential. It's a team game.

[Add: and btw, Jorgetown really sucks and I hope the staff forces the current SU players to watch the game where Pearl elbows Ewing, or the one where Horace Broadnax knees Andry Hawkins in the groin!]

When you say he are you talking about Westbrook

I hear you guys. But he DOES do other things on the floor like pass. Sure he shot too much and his overall shooting is not good. But he does do other things out there, clearly. It’s a collective mess there for sure.
Knicks fleeced OKC. Kanter is key for NY and Melo looks done. Love him but his game has diminished.

Do we care more about what people think of our team than what our team actually does?

And for any of the therapists on the board, what is that condition called?

Seeing SU -3.5, fwiw.

This is an extremely difficult game to handicap given the schedules to date of the two schools and the presence of so many new players.

This line says more about bettor sentiment than it does who really ought to be favored.

This is an extremely difficult game to handicap given the schedules to date of the two schools and the presence of so many new players.

This line says more about bettor sentiment than it does who really ought to be favored.

That's true, the bettors moved the line, as SU started as only 2.5 point favorites. ;)

Regardless of what happens today, I am already vindicated for my stand against that hateful bias in that Ewing smear thread. Like Kenpom and the handicappers(or bettors), we arent sure exactly what we're facing today. As others pointed out, we're not exactly a juggernaut, after being laid to waste by a KU team that Hop disposed of on the road.

I've seen Sidibe mentioned somewhere today, but dont recall seeing his possible health question mark mentioned as a reason for the effect on the line. I dont follow Pompom, but does it take into account players' health?

Townie, I just saw your tagline and love it!

I somehow ended up sitting in a luxury suite for that game with an unbelievable view of the court. In the suite next to us was Gross, Cantor, McNabb and some others. My friend and I stumbled into their suite after a healthy number of beers consumed, interrupted a conversation between Nancy Cantor and McNabb and got our picture taken with him. That was a good day.

Eric15 walking past Cantor to get to McNabb

Knicks fleeced OKC. Kanter is key for NY and Melo looks done. Love him but his game has diminished.
Yeah, what a ripoff taking Melo: 24 points on 11-17 shooting. Westbrook only had 3 more points on 16 more shots (33 fga's andand 6 TO's). Good thing they can win with such "diminished" players. Whatever.

Yeah, what a ripoff taking Melo: 24 points on 11-17 shooting. Westbrook only had 3 more points on 16 more shots (33 fga's andand 6 TO's). Good thing they can win with such "diminished" players. Whatever.

Guy has a 50.6% true shooting. He's clearly a diminished player. Doesn't mean he didn't have a good game last night

Guy has a 50.6% true shooting. He's clearly a diminished player. Doesn't mean he didn't have a good game last night
He's been in the league since 2003. You can say his speed/footwork have diminished. That's any player at his age in the league that long. But other parts of his game are as good, maybe better, than when he was younger, starting with his BB IQ. He's amazingly strong, and can guard the 4 effectively in the NBA, maybe the 5 for short stretches or in small ball. He can pass and make other players better. He's also rock solid in pressure situations, rarely turns it over given his usage. The sixers doubled him all night and he didn't blink an eye -- just made other players better. And he's been scoring 20 ppg for a decade + (until he arrived at OKC). His numbers might be down a little offensively, but that's because one player on OKC has the ball in his hands 70% of the time. I don't get the Melo bashing on here ... a total mystery with what he's accomplished over his career and one of the best SU players ever to don Orange.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom