You just can't hate this team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

You just can't hate this team

Can you build an 08-14 team now?

CJ Fair doesn't stick around, KJ doesn't stick around. Southerland goes somewhere where he can start. Wes could've just bounced to G-League. Rak might not have liked being "Boeheimed" early on...our makeup of what's helped us been successful doesn't seem to translate as well. (Doesn't excuse having a roster that plays completely below the rim now...)
Probably not. And Dion, Southerland and Triche all likely transfer as well.

I don’t think JB is the right coach for this era. Time has passed him by. Being a hard a$$ isn’t a winning strategy with Zoomers.

Syracuse basketball is my #1 team for all my sports. All of them.

I've literally, in the past, said "thank god for JB, because he's the only one that brings me consistent winning seasons". Might be hard to believe with my comments, but it's true.

I wanted to go to SU since I was 4 years old. I grew up in upstate, went to Cuse undergrad and grad.

My dad sent in my season ticket money before my housing money when I got accepted.

I would never "hate the team". I don't hate Buddy or Joe or anyone on the team, barring someone on the team that did something abhorrent, which, to my knowledge, is no one on this team.

I promise you that before next year's football season, I'll convince myself, stupidly, that the team can go undefeated. And then I'll do something similar for basketball.

I am frustrated because this has been coming for years and years now and anyone that was objectively viewing it could see where we were headed.

I don't want JB to have a terrible season while coaching his sons. That sucks. No one wants that.

But this season was predictable, unfortunately, and when you get hit over the head with the results over and over, its frustrating.

Probably not. And Dion, Southerland and Triche all likely transfer as well.

I don’t think JB is the right coach for this era. Time has passed him by. Being a hard a$$ isn’t a winning strategy with Zoomers.
You’re right, he isn’t. And when he retires, I’m confident JW will hire a better fit. It’s a waiting game and you know what Tom Petty says.

What’s so likable? The zero effort defense? The hero ball heat checks after just one make? The lack of passing and looking for open men or the extra pass? These guys are in a bad situation but them and the coaches did this and this is the roster everyone wanted.

Remember when every game we’d go into thinking win? Well now we go into every game trying not to embarrass ourselves, and we can’t even do that. Likable, give me a break.

Can you build an 08-14 team now?

CJ Fair doesn't stick around, KJ doesn't stick around. Southerland goes somewhere where he can start. Wes could've just bounced to G-League. Rak might not have liked being "Boeheimed" early on...our makeup of what's helped us been successful doesn't seem to translate as well. (Doesn't excuse having a roster that plays completely below the rim now...)
Those are good points, and the challenge is will a 77 year old coach adjust to this?

There's a saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

I never hate the players; I do, way too often lately dislike how they aren’t being developed with time in each game through out the season and being publicly criticized for not playing up to the expectations of the staff. It’s not like they have a say in their playing time. I love how they play with heart!

What’s so likable? The zero effort defense? The hero ball heat checks after just one make? The lack of passing and looking for open men or the extra pass? These guys are in a bad situation but them and the coaches did this and this is the roster everyone wanted.

Remember when every game we’d go into thinking win? Well now we go into every game trying not to embarrass ourselves, and we can’t even do that. Likable, give me a break.

Yeah I’m somewhat conflicted because the defense is so bad and you’d think that if you cared a little you’d put in the effort. To an extent maybe it’s learned behavior. Why would you put any effort into Defense when you know you’re in for the duration regardless? I don’t think I would

Yeah I’m somewhat conflicted because the defense is so bad and you’d think that if you cared a little you’d put in the effort. To an extent maybe it’s learned behavior. Why would you put any effort into Defense when you know you’re in for the duration regardless? I don’t think I would
Maybe it’s my age, but I like watching opponents have fits trying to score and making a pass to a wide open guy rather than just chucking every time down the court. We literally have a team with 4 guys who start that none of us would want on a pickup squad.

Great point, Frank has to because Bourama will come in for him but he's still trying to get up to game speed and is limited

The forwards don't have to worry because Benny can barely play a lick and stay on the floor for more than 2 or 3 mins. Is JBA coming in a big game?

Joe is normally ordained his minutes and being on the floor at crunch time until last nights coaching decision which must have been like moving mountains for JB

Point is with the exception of Frank, the starters aint coming out for lack of effort because in JBs eyes, theres nobody worthy to put in. They all know JB is gonna put them right back into the game. Its not like hes gonna bench them for the rest of the game, Joe being a rare exception last night. Ugly situation.

I rarely understand people saying players didn’t try or didn’t put in the effort. It’s usually a gross exaggeration. Nobody is out there not trying to do their best. People have bad games. And if Joe and Jimmy and buddy weren’t even trying on defense, then neither was Sy. His defensive rating last night wasn’t much better than Joe and Buddy and worse than Jimmy’s.

At this point I don't find this team particularly likeable at all.

I love Joe but he has too many stretches where it seems like he would rather be someplace else. His effort last night was embarrassing and it deserved to be called out. Spare me the asthma or exhaustion excuses, he shouldn’t be on the court if there’s an issue that would make him play like that.

The two players that the offense runs through consistently take garbage shots, never hustle, and don’t even pretend to try on defense. Their last name just makes it worse.

I love watching Jesse play but that’s gone now. Cole always plays hard and I appreciate that. Frank has tons of potential and it’s cool seeing him grow. And Bourama is obviously easy to root for. The spotlight just isn’t on those guys.

Symir is a great teammate and Benny seems like a good dude but the frustration of them not getting much burn outweighs the positives I feel about them as a fan.

The team hasn’t been enjoyable to watch for 90% of the season and any real hope we had at a run to close the year went down with Jesse. I’ve never felt this way but I just want it to be over with and hopefully start fresh by the summer.

Maybe it’s my age, but I like watching opponents have fits trying to score and making a pass to a wide open guy rather than just chucking every time down the court. We literally have a team with 4 guys who start that none of us would want on a pickup squad.

No it’s not fun and extremely frustrating when we lose (which is frequently these days). I just think that they do it because they believe it’s what they’re supposed to do. And I can’t blame a toddler for driving through the family room wall after giving him the keys and saying “go nuts.”

Not the head man though. I'm not the Syracuse historian that swc is but they made some tourneys in the 50s and 60s. Won those two titles before the tourney started. Jb is 90 pct of cuse bball. Just saying no reason we can't be good when he leaves.

The...50s and 60s....???
Staring George Costanza GIF

There are a few factors that make this team less fun to root for:
1.) the different treatment from JB some players get opposed to others for the same type of mistakes (see Jimmy leaving repeatedly the corner jumper open last night with no reaction from JB as opposed to when Jesse or Frank does the same thing or JB tongue-lashing and benching Frank 2 minutes into the first half for missing a rebound last night as Jimmy failed to get one in the first half)
2.) the poor shot selection and selfish get mine offense that is tolerated without consequence-this team does not pass when they go to the basket
3.) playing guys 35 minutes or more even if they don't deserve it which also leaves them with no legs at the end of the game
4.) JB's refusal to let younger players get run and make mistakes without immediately yanking them and his failure to invest in their future so that they can get better and increasingly contribute to the team
5.) the zone is increasingly less effective in today's game where every team has 3 or more shooters on the court-the lament that the other team shot above their fg percentage so we were unlucky is absurd because teams always shoot better when they are wide open-plus asking bigs to go from the center of the court does not work particularly well when the same bigs are playing 35 minutes and are exhausted
6.) lazy, hands down closeouts from our guards on the perimeter
7.) an inability to safely get the ball in bounds in pressure situations at the end of games
8.) Jimmy's constant complaining to the refs
9.) JB calling out all but 3 of his players at his pressers and embarrassing them-does no good-and then he brags about his kids regardless of how well they played-I was never one who was concerned about unfair treatment when Buddy and Jimmy committed but you can't ignore reality

At this point I don't find this team particularly likeable at all.

I love Joe but he has too many stretches where it seems like he would rather be someplace else. His effort last night was embarrassing and it deserved to be called out. Spare me the asthma or exhaustion excuses, he shouldn’t be on the court if there’s an issue that would make him play like that.

The two players that the offense runs through consistently take garbage shots, never hustle, and don’t even pretend to try on defense. Their last name just makes it worse.

I love watching Jesse play but that’s gone now. Cole always plays hard and I appreciate that. Frank has tons of potential and it’s cool seeing him grow. And Bourama is obviously easy to root for. The spotlight just isn’t on those guys.

Symir is a great teammate and Benny seems like a good dude but the frustration of them not getting much burn outweighs the positives I feel about them as a fan.

The team hasn’t been enjoyable to watch for 90% of the season and any real hope we had at a run to close the year went down with Jesse. I’ve never felt this way but I just want it to be over with and hopefully start fresh by the summer.
Agreed. The two players the offense runs through play passive (at best) defense. And the others get blamed for their defensive mistakes. The ONLY time they light up is when they get the ball. No matter the arguably five or so bad shots they take a game - the are not getting yanked for it. They should at least take acting classes to show they are trying to play defense. Obviously defense is never a thought in the family gym.

I say your last sentence while watching at least twice a game.

I rarely understand people saying players didn’t try or didn’t put in the effort. It’s usually a gross exaggeration. Nobody is out there not trying to do their best. People have bad games. And if Joe and Jimmy and buddy weren’t even trying on defense, then neither was Sy. His defensive rating last night wasn’t much better than Joe and Buddy and worse than Jimmy’s.
And that is very difficult to do. Please stop defending this roster and the current leadership group

And that is very difficult to do. Please stop defending this roster and the current leadership group

And that’s exactly what my post said. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom