You just can't hate this team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

You just can't hate this team

This board I think reflects the fanbase a lot closer than you think.

It hasn’t been till this year the overall frustration has finally tipped to enough.

The overall point of the OP is basically trying to spin and rationalize that expectations have been met by the tone.
Nobody hates this team. It’s just not good and people said it before the season and were called haters.
You should check out the cuse FB groups. You have the least bit critical take your called a hater and told to go root for duke. It's insufferable.

This thread Encapsulates the lowering of standards for Syracuse Basketball.

We are completely irrelevant in the scheme of college basketball.
However you can’t hate the team.
Nobody hates the players but the HC spent all offseason saying this team was going to be good because of experience and team chemistry.

We literally have 8 kids who can play now.
The team is medicore. It’s not unlikable but if the standards are now oh well you just can’t hate this team.
Mediocrity has been accepted.

We aren’t a top program anymore people.
You just can’t hate this team.

The bar keeps getting lower and lower but even the idea of this team being likable shows the drop off in standards.

When you start to look at some of the guys on this team how they’re disinterested in playing defense, how rarely they look to create a scoring opportunity for someone other than themselves, poor body language or whining to refs after every whistle that doesn’t go their way. That’s not good basketball and are things that are in the players control regardless of ability. This fan base has gotten after some of our guys in past years for a lot less.

We are losing to bad teams. The whole ACC is garbage (ND included) We are not competitive nationally. Or against any good ACC team.

THIS.

A typical Cuse team would be in 2nd place in this year’s ACC -
Other than Duke, it’s a big pile of meh.

A good Cuse team (say ‘08-‘14 vintage) might be in 1st place.

Meanwhile, back here in the current reality -
we’re rooting for a bunch of likeable kids who collectively just aren’t very competitive at this level of basketball, hoping and praying we can somehow finish above .500 for the season.

The issue with “we are Syracuse” is that Syracuse is Jim Boeheim. There was relatively little success before he arrived. As his skills have diminished, so have the results.
When he goes, who knows where SU will go?
This is an extremely lazy take.

What was Duke before Coach K? What was UConn prior to Calhoun (and look at the success Kevin Ollie & Dan Hurley have had since)?

Just because the unknown is scary doesn’t mean status quo isn’t scarier. We are a shell of the program JB built. I appreciate him, but you’re acting as though we won’t find anyone and we will have MAAC players (which we kinda already do).

SU has a ton to sell to any coach or recruit. To diminish that by calling JB “Syracuse” is not giving the infrastructure built any credit.

This is an extremely lazy take.

What was Duke before Coach K? What was UConn prior to Calhoun (and look at the success Kevin Ollie & Dan Hurley have had since)?

Just because the unknown is scary doesn’t mean status quo isn’t scarier. We are a shell of the program JB built. I appreciate him, but you’re acting as though we won’t find anyone and we will have MAAC players (which we kinda already do).

SU has a ton to sell to any coach or recruit. To diminish that by calling JB “Syracuse” is not giving the infrastructure built any credit.
Duke had some decent teams under foster. I believe he got them to a title game. Uconn was kstate football bad. But that is beside the point. Duke Syracuse and Uconn are brands none of those programs should ever be down for long.

We are losing to bad teams. The whole ACC is garbage (ND included) We are not competitive nationally. Or against any good ACC team.
Talk about trying to have it both ways. The whole ACC is garbage, but we’re not competitive against any good ACC team? Why not just say Duke then? We’ve been competitive with the second, fourth, fifth, and sixth place teams in the conference. We were competitive with FSU when they were playing well.

The issue with “we are Syracuse” is that Syracuse is Jim Boeheim. There was relatively little success before he arrived. As his skills have diminished, so have the results.
When he goes, who knows where SU will go

Prior to Boeheim there was no Dome and no true history or lore. There was no national recognition and few ties to the sports/entertainment world. The fan base was not as rabid and national. Those things will not simply go away, at least overnight. I'm confident the ship will right itself upon his departure. How long will it take and to what degree? Thats a good question.

Talk about trying to have it both ways. The whole ACC is garbage, but we’re not competitive against any good ACC team? Why not just say Duke then? We’ve been competitive with the second, fourth, fifth, and sixth place teams in the conference. We were competitive with FSU when they were playing well.
Parse whatever you like. We are a bad basketball team that has become uncompetitive nationally and against good ACC teams. This isn’t a 1 year problem (although it’s at a nadir hopefully).

The ACC has only had 1 ranked team since mid-December.
No other conference team except Duke has been ranked one time since then.
The conference sucks.

That is part of the reason we could go
17-14.
Not because we are good but in a conference of 15 teams only one is top 25.

If we were in the BE, Big Ten, SEC, Big XII we aren’t finishing at .500.

I hope you acknowledge this.

We aren’t garbage we are medicore. The conference is one good team and a lot of medicore teams.
If Syracuse beat Colgate, VCU, and Georgetown we are like Virginia, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Miami and are on the bubble.

If Notre Dame is the 2nd best team the Acc is in trouble. You can make the case Duke will be the only Acc team that will win a tourney game. Wake just lost to Clemson. UNC has one quad 1 win against va tech. If they didn't have UNC on the front of their jersey they wouldn't even be in consideration for the tourney.

I just have to laugh at the Benny excuses at this point. Yes, he would be averaging a double-double and we would have 20 wins, if only JB would have played him more.

Shia Labeouf Reaction GIF
Did you play a sport in college? If so, game experience is nothing like practice. It wasn't for me and I'm sure it wasn't and isn't for anyone who has ever played. Don't you find it odd or interesting that Jesse and Frank miraculously got it once they started getting real playing time. Obviously, Benny has a long way to go but if he had been given 5 solid minutes a half without having to look over his shoulder. If he had been allowed to play through mistakes vs being berated each time, I guarantee he would be a much better player today. No doubt at all.

Parse whatever you like. We are a bad basketball team that has become uncompetitive nationally and against good ACC teams. This isn’t a 1 year problem (although it’s at a nadir hopefully).
Lol “we” what position do you play bud?

Did you play a sport in college? If so, game experience is nothing like practice. It wasn't for me and I'm sure it wasn't and isn't for anyone who has ever played. Don't you find it odd or interesting that Jesse and Frank miraculously got it once they started getting real playing time. Obviously, Benny has a long way to go but if he had been given 5 solid minutes a half without having to look over his shoulder. If he had been allowed to play through mistakes vs being berated each time, I guarantee he would be a much better player today. No doubt at all.

He’s averaged 10mpg and the first half of the season he played solid mins including 19+ mins 5 times. He’s had chances.

Probably would be the same player since he had plenty of playing time in the beginning of the year and got worse as the year wore on despite awful competition.

No, because that isn’t even true. It’s a narrative people like you created so you could say you were right all along.

Anselem didn’t miraculously get anything when he became the starter. Like I said the last time you tried to make this point, the depth was developed. As long as Edwards was healthy, not tired, and not in foul trouble, there was no reason to sit him. Anselem stepped in as needed, just as he’s doing now.

Shortcomings and all. There are so many more athletic, talented teams with greater expectations in the past that frustrated us so much more than this team has. Coaching included. This team battles, despite their limitations. None of us are happy about the state of the program, especially with the league being as down as it is. But we are where we are.

We are Syracuse, we should never never be in a rut like we've been. Yet we are. We've all been very fortunate to have enjoyed the success over the years we might have taken for granted. However if this is our "down" time is it really that awful? I don't believe we will ever sink to BC or Pitt or even Uconn level (when the bottom fell out for them) with our resources. We will be back. Syracuse is the next tier under the blue bloods, the university invests in the program. The networks invest in the program. These last few years are just a long overdue blip that the UCLA's, Inidianas and even Kentuckys and etc. have gone through. AND we've still have not sunk as low as they had.

With all that said these kids battle. I still find myself wholeheartedly locked into these games, rooting for this team that wears our colors. Maybe the NIT is the ceiling IF we can make it. It doesn't matter. the winning season streak doesn't matter what does matter is I believe that this team is leaving it on the court and I love them for it. I think we all know the program will eventually turn it around. In the meantime I love this team and the effort they give.

Beat Duke. Go Orange.
In summary, it doesn't matter we're bad, we could get worse, accept it and love this team anyway...
I've always been confused that losing teams battle and leave it on the court but winning teams don't.

For me its not this 1 year, although this year is reaching a boiling point

Its the now 8 straight years of not being a contender for winning a conference title, we haven't finished better than 6th in the ACC at the end of the regular season since the first year in the league.

That shouldnt happen, SU should be able to compete for conference titles, period.

I don't expect them to win it every year, but frequently, should be able to finish 4th and better, not all but, most years.

Also, the inability to win more than 1 game in the conference tournament doesnt help either but that can be a bit of a crapshoot but still, would be unacceptable in our Big East days, so why would it be acceptable in the ACC? Thats my perspective.

Last edited:
In summary, it doesn't matter we're bad, we could get worse, accept it and love this team anyway...
I've always been confused that losing teams battle and leave it on the court but winning teams don't.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe we shouldnt support this "losing team" and save ir for when we are good again. The silver lining of being down is that it is much easier to see the true colors of fellow fans. Don't worry, we'll save your seat on the bandwagon.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe we shouldnt support this "losing team" and save ir for when we are good again. The silver lining of being down is that it is much easier to see the true colors of fellow fans. Don't worry, we'll save your seat on the bandwagon.
Said the Syracuse football fan in 2005 that now complains about an empty dome. (Not meaning you personally...just thats the same rhetoric)

THIS.

A typical Cuse team would be in 2nd place in this year’s ACC -
Other than Duke, it’s a big pile of meh.

A good Cuse team (say ‘08-‘14 vintage) might be in 1st place.

Meanwhile, back here in the current reality -
we’re rooting for a bunch of likeable kids who collectively just aren’t very competitive at this level of basketball, hoping and praying we can somehow finish above .500 for the season.

Can you build an 08-14 team now?

CJ Fair doesn't stick around, KJ doesn't stick around. Southerland goes somewhere where he can start. Wes could've just bounced to G-League. Rak might not have liked being "Boeheimed" early on...our makeup of what's helped us been successful doesn't seem to translate as well. (Doesn't excuse having a roster that plays completely below the rim now...)

Can you build an 08-14 team now?

CJ Fair doesn't stick around, KJ doesn't stick around. Southerland goes somewhere where he can start. Wes could've just bounced to G-League. Rak might not have liked being "Boeheimed" early on...our makeup of what's helped us been successful doesn't seem to translate as well. (Doesn't excuse having a roster that plays completely below the rim now...)
CJ Fair played 19 MPG as a freshman.
He goes nowhere.

Southerland or Rak may have left.

They may have left.

I want good players. Not decent players who because of usage inflate their numbers.

CJ Fair played 19 MPG as a freshman.
He goes nowhere.

Southerland or Rak may have left.

They may have left.

I want good players. Not decent players who because of usage inflate their numbers.

Fair doesn't stay 4 years. We leaned hard on AAAA types. That doesn't sell like it did.

My point is doing like we did 12-14 years ago might have it's own inherent problems of success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom