Your Official SU-UVA Game Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-UVA Game Thread

Boeheim needs to make adjustments. We shouldn't be setting screens for Gillon. They double him every time and he can't see around them/he can't get his shot off because they're pressuring him so much.

White probably isn't a good enough ball-handler to work off the on-ball screens against UVA either, but he at least has a chance of seeing the open screener after they slip it.

If we want Gillon to do anything today, you have to just give him space and hope he can take his man to the basket and kick out/draw fouls.

Edit: I'd honestly be considering just going to Howard instead of Gillon. This is just an awful matchup for him.

They are very good on defense. What can you adjust. "Play better".

I think we can still win if UVA cools off. Even if we lose, I think we can make the tourney. I'm not jumping off a ledge. I'm just getting sick of the Lydon hype when he's continually becoming the the 3rd best player for us in any given game.
White is the best player on this team and it ISNT CLOSE

We've played UVA for 180 minutes (4.5 games) since joining the ACC. They have outplayed us for 172 of those minutes.

UVA fans have to want to shoot themselves that it was the worst possible 8 minutes that we could have outplayed them.

What pisses me off is I think everyone of our teams from 2009-2013 would have absolutely worked any of these UVA teams. Guys like Flynn, Waiters, Onuaku, and Devendorf would eat against these guys. Problem is any of our guys that have the potential to develop into that level of offensive player leaves before it ever happens here.

Some people need to get a grip. Team is coming off a great comeback from Wednesday night and don't have 100% legs today. Quick turnaround is favoring UVA today as they had a blow out game.

I expect the Orange to win every game. I just can't help myself.

Some people need to get a grip. Team is coming off a great comeback from Wednesday night and don't have 100% legs today. Quick turnaround is favoring UVA today as they had a blow out game.

And they are a top 10 team.

We aren't a tournament team (at the moment), they are a top 3 seed. Can we play better? Sure. But let's not think this is an upset so far.

This is a bad match up for us, just like UNC is a bad match up. We are always weak on fundamentals like rebounding positioning, box outs, inbounding. And UVa is super strong on fundamentals. They are crushing us on the boards, as pretty much expected. We are having tremendous problems getting open shots against their D. Unless we get unconscious from long range it's going to get very ugly. Regroup after this game. We match up much better against remaining teams.
UVA is in fact a bad match up because of style.

Not really loving the fact we need to add UNC and Louisville to that list. They just happen to be better than us all the time.

Gillon needs to get involved.
They are on Gillon like glue. That 43 point game got teams' attention. Will be harder for him now.

"Get" Lydon more involved? Maybe I'm just bitter because he's not that good and I've come to terms that he's gone after this year, but he can't create for himself so, no, Lydon needs to figure it out. We don't need to force feed a dude who can't do anything with it. If Lydon wants to come alive, it needs to be Lydon himself who decides that.
Lydon is a terrific piece. But to think he's a guy you can just throw it to and let him create is silly. He'll never be that guy. He can do some things on the post if he's on, but overall he needs someone to set up his shot for him. There is nothing wrong with that. You even heard Bennett at half say they have to stay on Lydon - so they are keying on him.

He's a guy that is an incredible 3rd option on a really good college team - even a really good second option on a team with a great PG. But he's not someone who is going to take the ball and make it happen for himself. He will carve out a good niche from himself at the NBA though - a stretch 4 who D's won't pay much attention to

UVA is in fact a bad match up because of style.

Not really loving the fact we need to add UNC and Louisville to that list. They just happen to be better than us all the time.

That's why they have scoreboards. We beat them last time. Remember? That was sweet! Onions for them!!!

I think we can still win if UVA cools off. Even if we lose, I think we can make the tourney. I'm not jumping off a ledge. I'm just getting sick of the Lydon hype when he's continually becoming the the 3rd best player for us in any given game.

If we make the tournament, I'll be amazed. Too many BAD losses...

Lydon is a terrific piece. But to think he's a guy you can just throw it to and let him create is silly. He'll never be that guy. He can do some things on the post if he's on, but overall he needs someone to set up his shot for him. There is nothing wrong with that. You even heard Bennett at half say they have to stay on Lydon - so they are keying on him.

He's a guy that is an incredible 3rd option on a really good college team - even a really good second option on a team with a great PG. But he's not someone who is going to take the ball and make it happen for himself. He will carve out a good niche from himself at the NBA though - a stretch 4 who D's won't pay much attention to
This I agree with.

I just expect more out of a guy who seems to be a lock to leave for the NBA after this year.

And it sucks that he won't be here long enough to develop into that go to scorer. College hoops sometimes feels pointless to care about these days.

I don't see it, Deano. They aren't pressing us. They arent running us to death in transition. They're just calmly beating us with precise passing, great shooting and stifling defense. Two full days of rest is plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom