Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about this style of defense, the more it seems like our personnel are serendipitously very well suited to play it.

Transition might not be as challenging before we start to see dividends.
Sort of like transitioning to a spread, pass happy, RPO/zone read offense with EFD at QB and Irv/Ish/Estime at Wr

The more I read about this style of defense, the more it seems like our personnel are serendipitously very well suited to play it.

Transition might not be as challenging before we start to see dividends.

The more I read this post, the more I wonder if this is the first time serendipitously has ever been used on this board.

The more I read this post, the more I wonder if this is the first time serendipitously has ever been used on this board.
Lol... not even the first time in the last few months ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-080554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-080554_Chrome.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 144
Everyone is mentioning Cisco in that “Aztec” role. I’m not too sure about that. Don’t know who it will be but I think we leave him alone where he’s at at safety.
We have Trill and Coley who may fit it

Very excited about this hire, but I'll be that guy who'll say it is fair if someone has a little hesitation that he's Rocky's Robot (just had to do that for the Rocky V reference)since he's only done it w/ Long and it's been made very clear this past week how much Long loves coaching Defense (as opposed to hiring a guy like Newberry from Navy or Rocky Long himself who were the primary guys).
Having said that (and before I get booed), I am very optimistic that he will do a fantastic job and stand on his own for the following reasons:
1) He coached under Rocky for a bunch of years. This isn't Dino hiring his friend Norwood who had 1 year to learn the Defense from his Co-DC Newberry
2) He played under this Defense for several years. It's one thing to coach it, but having played it, he can probably offer extra insight to our players, particularly the LB's. He also wasn't physical stud who was able to dominate w/ his physical tools-He had to overachieve with all the other stuff-intelligence, grit etc.
3) It sounds like he actually called the Defense the last 2 years and wasn't just a figurehead (though I'm sure Long was involved in the game planning and strategy).
4) Sounds like Long doesn't just look at him as another assistant who coached under him. The fact that he flew out here says a lot and from everything I'm hearing he is very invested in his former player and coach being a success and believe he will be a resource for him, if necessary.
5) As others have written, this Defense is perfect for our personnel. Quality DT's are the hardest position to recruit, as there's a limit of guys out there who are big and can run. This limits the pressure of landing a bunch of them. We've done much better recruiting the other Defensive positions.

Lastly, I would recommend going to Youtube and watching some of these defenses. They are aggressive, really know how to tackle, and create a ton of turnovers. Posted a short one below against BYU

Well after thinking about it yesterday, then sleeping on it, then waking up this morning and thinking about it some more, I absolutely love this hire and am sooooooo excited for the 2020 season. Go Coach Arnett and Go Orange!!!!!!!

A side effect of yesterday, Some friends of mine from the North Country (Jefferson County) we’re thinking of dumping seasons but are now going to keep them. Hopefully with new Dome and new hires our season tickets wont take too big a hit after the disappointment of 19

OK, at Arizona the 3-3-5 was known as Desert Swarm. We will be in need of a nickname- subject of course to the approval of our Arbiter of Nicknames.
Snow Squall

Orange Obliterata

Sour Smash

Crouse Kill

Marshall Madness

Keep it simple...Orange Crush
That was the Denver Broncos’ Defense, IIRC. What about something like Blizzard or Squall or just Storm if we don’t want to sound like too much of a cliche? The latter two would have good alliterative appeal as well!

That was the Denver Broncos’ Defense, IIRC. What about something like Blizzard or Squall or just Storm if we don’t want to sound like too much of a cliche? The latter two would have good alliterative appeal as well!

Orange Storm! It’s a natural!

Orange Blizzard

White Out

i think it has to be snow/winter related sort of like how the Steelers had steel curtain.

A side effect of yesterday, Some friends of mine from the North Country (Jefferson County) we’re thinking of dumping seasons but are now going to keep them. Hopefully with new Dome and new hires our season tickets wont take too big a hit after the disappointment of 19
Where in Jefferson County?

Orange Blizzard

White Out

i think it has to be snow/winter related sort of like how the Steelers had steel curtain.
OT I only recently learned that the Steelers actually have a mascot, Steely McBeam, when I went to the PA Farm Show last week and saw the butter sculpture with the theme "Tailgating" represented by Swoop, the Eagles' eagle, Steely, and the Flyers' Gritty (whatever he is)

Attachments

• PA Mascots.jpg
    PA Mascots.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
Suddenly look very thin at LB, even with the supposition that Richards moves there fulltime. Expect there will be some position changes in the spring. Yes, the DE / OLB is kind of a hybrid position in this scheme, but could some of the young DEs that were focused on building bulk may be better suited to play OLB in this system (Okechukwu? , Goulbourne?). And could a physical safety like Coley or Labrosse move up? At any rate I expect this to be a focus area going into the February signing period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom