Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing of both these announcements tells me more changes are coming and we’ll have our new DC and OC in tow to talk to coaches at the convention that starts tomorrow.

Umm, is this saying new DC AND OC

or, new DC and new OC?

The more this settles in, the more I like this hire. Such a stealthy, thorough job by Dino. The man has a longer term vision that he's trying to fulfill. I think this also helps to alleviate some fears about him moving on.

The guy is rebuilding his squad. He wants blood for last season's shatshow. He's here to stay.

I watched about 5 SDSU games this year, since they have my money for my daughter’s first year there and all that. Their D was so good. Aggressive, disciplined, great tacklers. I can’t tell you what a great hire this truly is

Aggressive, disciplined, great tacklers.

This excites me, when is the last time we can say our defense did all 3 of these?

The more this settles in, the more I like this hire. Such a stealthy, thorough job by Dino. The man has a longer term vision that he's trying to fulfill. I think this also helps to alleviate some fears about him moving on.

The guy is rebuilding his squad. He wants blood for last season's shatshow. He's here to stay.
My biggest concern about Dino coming out of last year was whether he had the teeth to make this type of change. Consider that addressed- we are acting like a P5 program with conference championship aspirations which is EXACTLY what we should be. Is it August yet?

I run a 3-3-5 on my team. My best defenses were smaller. Size is not always the factor in stopping the run. Speed and attacking the right gaps plays a big part. Thats what Arnett's defense does. Its causes confusion vs man block schemes and it allows faster and athletic lineman to attack zone schemes. Its attacking offenses rather than trying to battle against guys that are bigger than us. Pro schemes can present some alignment issues but his scheme is designed to allow undersize lineman to attack and be more competitive at the POA.

One of the other great things about it is it will be a very different look for opponents trying to prepare for it. Always of the position that you want players at all levels have to work at identifying assignments before they can just carry it out...

SUOrange44

My biggest concern about Dino coming out of last year was whether he had the teeth to make this type of change. Consider that addressed- we are acting like a P5 program with conference championship aspirations which is EXACTLY what we should be. Is it August yet?

Well said... I'm still under the belief that this is his final HC stop. Could be wrong, but the guy seems genuinely happy here. I've played golf with him a few times. An amazing guy on and off the field.

Well said... I'm still under the belief that this is his final HC stop. Could be wrong, but the guy seems genuinely happy here. I've played golf with him a few times. An amazing guy on and off the field.
I won't hijack the thread but let's just say I am of the belief that Dino is a better person than a football coach--and he is a hell of a coach. Couldn't agree with you more.

One of the other great things about it is it will be a very different look for opponents trying to prepare for it. Always of the position that you want players at all levels have to work at identifying assignments before they can just carry it out...

SUOrange44
Absolutely

The more I read about this style of defense, the more it seems like our personnel are serendipitously very well suited to play it.

Transition might not be as challenging before we start to see dividends.
Im starting to believe the staff planned to go to this scheme at some point. There's a lot of versatility with our defensive commits the last couple classes. Guys that can play up or down on the LOS. Haven't signed any true DT's

Express back?
200.gif

Im starting to believe the staff planned to go to this scheme at some point. There's a lot of versatility with our defensive commits the last couple classes. Guys that can play up or down on the LOS. Haven't signed any true DT's

I also think that this type of system is a strong fit for a school that has recruiting obstacles, like ours.

Tough to get NFL caliber DTs, but we can get lots of Munoz / Rondi types, or guys like Slayton / McKinley Williams / Dawson / Tuazama who can "grow" into a versatile role.

Really like the DE / OLB / edge players we've added recently, like Richards and Cantin-Aku.

And we've loaded up in the secondary -- as you say, its almost like a perfect roster to convert to this type of system. And I'm looking forward to all of the blitzing / pressure, and better tackling.

A welcome change, across the board.

I also think that this type of system is a strong fit for a school that has recruiting obstacles, like ours.

Tough to get NFL caliber DTs, but we can get lots of Munoz / Rondi types, or guys like Slayton / McKinley Williams / Dawson / Tuazama who can "grow" into a versatile role.

Really like the DE / OLB / edge players we've added recently, like Richards and Cantin-Aku.

And we've loaded up in the secondary -- as you say, its almost like a perfect roster to convert to this type of system. And I'm looking forward to all of the blitzing / pressure, and better tackling.

A welcome change, across the board.
Good points

My way too early uneducated guess on the 2-deep:

SDE:
Black
Tuzama/Okechukwu

NT:
Bear
Rhino/Harper

WDE:
Kingsley
Linton

SLB:
Richards (need numbers at LB and he moves well enough)
Cantu-Arlkin

MLB:
Wallace
Kpogba

WLB:
Jones
Trotter

Otto:
Jonas
Colely

CB:
Iffy
Stritz

CB:
Trill
G. Williams

SS:
Cisco
Clarke

FS:
Nunn
Greenwood/Cole

Thoughts:
- nice mix of vets and youth at DL when down to 3
- LB is scary. Young and thin. Jones could play Otto and Richards could play DE.
- secondary is our strength but all the depth is green.

The timing of both these announcements tells me more changes are coming and we’ll have our new DC and OC in tow to talk to coaches at the convention that starts tomorrow.

For sure. More changes are on the way. 2 new heads of both sides of the ball and neither one bringing in another guy that they like? Seems hard to imagine, especially on the defensive side. At least Gilbert coached under Dino already.

I’m really holding out hope that we hire a stud recruiter. I probably sound like a broken record, but the importance of this cannot be overstated.

Recruiting >>>>>>>>> coaching ability on the next hire or 2.

Agreed. I posted the same. Consider Dino A+ but wondered if he had the Chops to upgrade the staff.

GENTLEMEN, OPEN YOUR EYES.

Dino is obviously bringing in a quality staff around him to make Syracuse and himself relevant again so he can jump ship for a bigger job!! Is no one else seeing this?? Our coach has one foot out the door again, we have to stop this!!

Sorry, I just don’t know how to handle unanimous positivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom