Zaire Franklin on SU linebacker duo: 'I think we're the best' in ACC | Syracusefan.com

Zaire Franklin on SU linebacker duo: 'I think we're the best' in ACC

Just need a third LB to complement him and Bennett. I don't think Thomas is "it".

I love zaire and I love the swag, but geez, after the way that D got torched last year week after week; not sure if smack talk is warranted here.

I love zaire and I love the swag, but geez, after the way that D got torched last year week after week; not sure if smack talk is warranted here.
Yeah, because only 2 people play on defense.

I'd rather have my team saying things like that than, "Boy, I hope we can win a game or two next year."

Wouldn't you?

If that's what you consider 'smack talk', I wouldn't play any sports if I were you.

If anyone in the ACC has chips on their shoulders its these two

Yeah, because only 2 people play on defense.

I'd rather have my team saying things like that than, "Boy, I hope we can win a game or two next year."

Wouldn't you?

If that's what you consider 'smack talk', I wouldn't play any sports if I were you.

Well actually, i was recruited to play 2 sports in college, played baseball. so i get it. As i said, love the swag, but sometimes staying neutral and silent is fine too. Or, when interviewed, saying hey, we have some really good talent on this side of the ball. Hey lbs are the heart of a D. They have alot of responsibility. We didnt stop anyone but VT last year. I get what you are saying, my approach would have been to say, hey, we have some great talent and we want to show ot off in 17.

Well actually, i was recruited to play 2 sports in college, played baseball. so i get it. As i said, love the swag, but sometimes staying neutral and silent is fine too. Or, when interviewed, saying hey, we have some really good talent on this side of the ball. Hey lbs are the heart of a D. They have alot of responsibility. We didnt stop anyone but VT last year. I get what you are saying, my approach would have been to say, hey, we have some great talent and we want to show ot off in 17.

Agreed, not much to feel good about on the D Side last year. Quiet probably a better alternative

I think they get routinely underrated by folks around here. They were on the field more than any Syracuse LB duo ever and made a ton of plays.

If they were CB and S talking smack, I'd agree about tamping it down.

I think they get routinely underrated by folks around here. They were on the field more than any Syracuse LB duo ever and made a ton of plays.

If they were CB and S talking smack, I'd agree about tamping it down.

I agree with you. These guys played quite well and should feel good about themselves. Other parts of the defense have to tighten up. I think we'll see it get better.

I agree with you. These guys played quite well and should feel good about themselves. Other parts of the defense have to tighten up. I think we'll see it get better.
Agreed...including the scheme and game planning.

I support Zaire's public statements. He's the leader of this D and we need our leaders to be confident and bold.

If anything it puts the rest of our D on notice to keep up with the LB's

I expect Zaire to make those comments. We all should want that. They will be better with a more experienced DL and another solid LB with them. On the other side of this, they both can be better. I saw alot of miss reads and missed plays. Neither were good in coverage. If we are gonna be better this year on defense, we need them at 80 tackles each.

I expect Zaire to make those comments. We all should want that. They will be better with a more experienced DL and another solid LB with them. On the other side of this, they both can be better. I saw alot of miss reads and missed plays. Neither were good in coverage. If we are gonna be better this year on defense, we need them at 80 tackles each.

That's not a lot to expect considering they both had over 100 tackles last year. Barring injury, both should have similar results this season.

That's not a lot to expect considering they both had over 100 tackles last year. Barring injury, both should have similar results this season.

They both had nice seasons stats wise but backers are put into position to make tackles. Question is where did those tackles take place? Hard for me to get into any bit of smack talk after we had our worse D since the grob years and gave up a hoops score to a good pitt offense, not great.

Cant get 100 tackles if your defense get stops and your offense is on the field scoring points. Right? Its all about making more impact tackles that are drive killers. Our defense was horrendous as a whole. To be a good defense we will need a balanced contribution from the DL and secondary.

Just like the offensive numbers get an * for extra possessions/plays, so will our defensive guys with measuring tackles. They will be on the field more just because of the nature of our offense. But last year it was a combination of poor play, inefficient offense (too many 3 and outs), and those extra possessions.

I take great stock in what money3189 has said about missed reads and plays.

One thing is def true - we need them to believe they are the best and we need a lot out of them this year.

Just like the offensive numbers get an * for extra possessions/plays, so will our defensive guys with measuring tackles. They will be on the field more just because of the nature of our offense. But last year it was a combination of poor play, inefficient offense (too many 3 and outs), and those extra possessions.

I take great stock in what money3189 has said about missed reads and plays.

One thing is def true - we need them to believe they are the best and we need a lot out of them this year.
Im sure a lot of the mis reads were due to learning the new scheme and training their eyes differently. I do think Zaire is good and I can't wait to see how he will do with a adequate D line in front of him. Bennett is good in space but not as good when you run directly at him.

Im sure a lot of the mis reads were due to learning the new scheme and training their eyes differently. I do think Zaire is good and I can't wait to see how he will do with a adequate D line in front of him. Bennett is good in space but not as good when you run directly at him.

Holding up at the point of attack was a huge issue last year for all of the LBs, IMO. Zaire was relatively better at, but he also tended to get engulfed when an OL reached him. Bennett played at a listed weight of 208, which is the size of most other ACC strong safeties. It speaks to their toughness and awareness that they were able to make plays and survive the season.

We need to get bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom